Home
Posted By: Pendragon Differences In Drive Names - 10/16/17 11:00 PM
My wife’s machine and mine are quite similar (or so I thought)…

Most differences, I understand, but this one (mount point?) is a mystery to me:

When I open my DH, the drive’s menu bar only has the name of the drive.

But when I open my wife’s HD, the name that appears in the drive’s Menu bar is the drive’s name but followed with forward slash (/).

What causes that, and what, if anything, should I do about it? confused
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Differences In Drive Names - 10/17/17 12:01 AM
I can think of any number of ways the name might have been accidentally changed. Select the drive itself the press ⌘I (Get Info) and delete the leading / and the "problem" is fixed.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Differences In Drive Names - 10/17/17 12:13 AM
Joe,

When I do a Get Info, the name does not have the forward slash. It's only when I open the drive that I see the slash. And that is only on my wife's machine. If I open her HD from my machine, the slash does not appear.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Differences In Drive Names - 10/17/17 07:23 PM
There is an option to "display path in menubar" that I have enabled around these parts. It's useful to have because it shows the full path of the folder.

But even with that enabled, it doesn't show a trailing slash. Are you sure there's not actually a slash in the name of your hard drive?

also can you clarify what a "DH" is?
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Differences In Drive Names - 10/17/17 09:23 PM
Yes, V1, I checked to make sure there was no slash in the name, even deleted it then put it back. No joy.

The DH is a typo for HDD.

Might this be relevant? A week ago, using Carbon Copy Cloner, I copied back a volume to my wife's machine. The next day, I got an alert from Carbon Copy Cloner saying that the volume UUID needs reseting and included the procedures for such (though I have not yet done so). Apparently, I have a duplicate UUID??? confused

Might this be the source of my angst?
© FineTunedMac