Home
Posted By: jchuzi 64-bit in High Sierra - 06/07/17 12:29 PM
High Sierra runs on all Sierra-capable hardware, starts process to kill 32-bit apps
Posted By: joemikeb Re: 64-bit in High Sierra - 06/07/17 12:40 PM
iOS has been announcing their move to all 64 bit since the release of 10.3. Given MacOS and iOS run on the same kernel and their development is in virtual lock step, this should not be a surprise.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: 64-bit in High Sierra - 06/07/17 05:11 PM
Does the 64 bit requirement mean that 32 bit apps won't work well, or that they won't work at all? confused
Posted By: joemikeb Re: 64-bit in High Sierra - 06/07/17 07:12 PM
The warning on iOS is they ...will no longer work... and advising you to contact the developer asking them to upgrade their product. Given the previously mentioned common kernel and code development between the MacOS, iOS, WatchOS, and TVOS, it would seem prudent to assume the same warning would be true for all Apple OS variants. Note however the warning does not say which iOS/MacOS/etc. version that will happen in. It may be in High Sierra and iOS 11 or it may be in their 2018 or even 2019 successors.

This happened before when Apple dropped support for all apps written for the PowerPC, and these forums were filed with angst, doom, and gloom from those whose with abandoned apps. Given Apple's long established practice of dropping support for antiquated technologies, it is inevitably this will not be the last time this will happen. In the past Apple has always given ample notice of the forthcoming change to allow developers to make the necessary changes to their code. Unfortunately not all developers have been willing to invest the time and effort in rework until their customer base began to melt away because the app would no longer run and not all developers were still in business.

It is a safe bet there will be MacOS app developers who will drag their feet and grumble to high heaven about being forced to make the change, but assuming the app is being actively supported and the code was well designed and written at the outset, recompiling in 64 bit mode should not be an overwhelming effort. For 32 bit apps that are no longer being developed and supported or those that over the years have become a hodgepodge of patches, users are well advised to start looking for replacements now rather than later when the final cutoff occurs.

NOTE: Just because the app comes from a big name developer does not mean their code was/is well designed and well implemented. Some of the biggest have an ancient code base they have been unwilling to spend the time and money to bring into the twentieth century, never mind the twenty-first. As classic examples I give you Windows, Quicken, and even some Adobe products.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: 64-bit in High Sierra - 06/07/17 07:46 PM
An absolutely wonderful reply (even though I did not like all the news).

IMNHO, it was complete in every regard and lacked for naught. Bravo!

Indeed my most sincere thanks.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: 64-bit in High Sierra - 06/08/17 12:41 AM
ADDENDUM: I just remembered that in iOS 10.3 Apple has provided a tool to help users identify installed 32 bit apps. (Settings > About > Applications — then touch Applications to see the names of the installed 32 bit apps) I will be very surprised if they do not do something similar in MacOS. Their idea being to put pressure on laggard developers, not users.

By-the-way Apple has already removed a substantial number of apparently moribund MacOS and iOS apps from their respective App Store.
Posted By: Ira L Re: 64-bit in High Sierra - 06/08/17 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
ADDENDUM: I just remembered that in iOS 10.3 Apple has provided a tool to help users identify installed 32 bit apps. (Settings > About > Applications — then touch Applications to see the names of the installed 32 bit apps) I will be very surprised if they do not do something similar in MacOS. Their idea being to put pressure on laggard developers, not users.

By-the-way Apple has already removed a substantial number of apparently moribund MacOS and iOS apps from their respective App Store.

Addendum to the addendum: in iOS 10.3.2 the tap sequence is Settings>General>About>Applications.

And thanks for the reminder Joemikeb. I just tapped it and was surprised to find 4 oldies but goodies on my phone. smirk
© FineTunedMac