Home
Posted By: joemikeb Yosemite Security Update - 01/17/17 07:51 PM
In case those of you still using Yosemite might have missed or overlooked it, Apple released a security update this morning (January 17, 2017) which also fixes a kernel issue that sometimes makes the system to become unresponsive. The update is available through the App Store and the installation requires a restart.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Yosemite Security Update - 01/17/17 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
In case those of you still using Yosemite might have missed or overlooked it, Apple released a security update this morning (January 17, 2017) which also fixes a kernel issue that sometimes makes the system to become unresponsive. The update is available through the App Store and the installation requires a restart.
\
that sounds like a familiar problem here. Will have to get that, thanks for the heads-up.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Yosemite & El Capitan Security Update - 01/17/17 09:34 PM
There's a similar El Cap update.
Posted By: alternaut Re: Yosemite Security Update - 01/19/17 01:59 AM
Interesting. I didn’t find anything on the App Store other than a GarageBand updater. Some further digging didn’t show anything either beyond the El Cap Security Update 2016-003 Supplemental Update Artie referred to. What’s up?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Yosemite Security Update - 01/19/17 11:17 AM
You may have had a silent update as mentioned in 'Fruitfly' malware patched by Apple relies on 'ancient' Mac system calls
Posted By: alternaut Re: Yosemite Security Update - 01/19/17 07:26 PM
That’s always a possibility, however unlikely it may be in cases like this where non-security OS issues are addressed. I’d like to know for sure though, as there’s no indication in App Store of any recent OS updates on the Mac in question, and I also don’t know if the update changed the OS build number. I wonder where joemikeb got his info, and if there's more detail where that came from.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Yosemite Security Update - 01/19/17 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: alternaut
I wonder where joemikeb got his info, and if there's more detail where that came from.
I found out about the update from an App Store Notification and is essentially a quote of the upgrade note on the App Store. I had just finished updating my Mac mini server when MacRumors posted their article. (NOTE: the MacRumors article has been expanded since I first read it. The initial article had almost no detail and did not mention the Mavericks update.)
Uhhh... The date on your linked article is Thursday September 1, 2016. tongue

Edit: A re-release of the original El Cap update and the supplemental are listed here, but there's nothing for Yosemite.
© FineTunedMac