Home
I've been sweating it a bit here, having my new MacBook at work and my old TB2 dock, WAITING for Apple to get their act together and ship my TB2/USBC and Ethernet/USBC adapters, to see if the dock would work through TB2. OWC had no idea if it would work or not. Everyone and their dog are out of stock of those, they're not at my local Apple AASP and not at my local Best Buy even.

I just got an email this morning from OWC to let me know that YES the dock works. yay! BUT... I wonder, it's possible the Displayport still won't work. (it either comes down to an implementation issue in the dongle, or a driver/software issue in the OS) I don' use that, I use the HDMI out here, but there is a caution on Apple's website that the TB2/IUSBC dongle alone will not work for displays. I called Apple to discuss this and pointed out I have a lab full of thunderbolt displays and that turning a room of $1,000 displays into pumpkins wasn't something I found amusing. They didn't have any solutions for me at the time though. tongue
See if this work-around addresses your needs.
Oh I wasn't aware that they would be working with thunderbolt displays and only the displayport-only was a problem. (the Apple rep I talked with said that all our thunderbolt displays would NOT work) So that's good to know.

Quote:

Our big question is why is this possible? Has Apple missed enabling a passthrough protocol that the GRAID makes available? If it is this easy to get a display hooked up, then why not make a new dongle that supports non-Thunderbolt displays? Or could this be a real opportunity for a third party product?

That is an interesting question, makes one wonder if the "lack of functionality" is intentional? Or perhaps just lacking firmware? Recent apple rumors suggest they have been suffering a bit of a brain-drain on their desktop teams, moving people over to their iOS areas, which has caused some targets to slip. Apple's recent removal of the battery time indicator was apparently a result of this. It was claimed to be a response to a failure to get the new portable batteries to meet design goals, which then had to be deferred since they couldn't be completed in time for christmas, so they had to fall back to the previous design for holiday production. The time indicator was designed for the new battery and would not display accurate information for the old one. Since it could not be properly fixed and vetted in time, they just pulled it.

Tim Cook recently gave a firm statement saying Apple is still strongly supporting their desktop development. This was a bit of an unsolicited reaction comment, leading people to wonder if the opposite isn't actually the case and was a bit of a firewall to deflect criticism of recent behaviors like the languishing of new R&D on the laptops. (still running OLD processors that are getting their arses handed to them in benchmarks against the competition's newest offerings)

It looks like Apple needs to re-examine their priroities.
© FineTunedMac