Home
Posted By: jaybass system prefs - 07/15/16 05:10 PM
Os 10.6.8 iskysoft advised me an upgrade was available and after upgrading, a message said there was a problem in the OS and a report would be sent to apple. Now I cannot open system prefs in order to use my backup that would solve the issue. I opened in safe mode and then under the apple, I clicked restart as I was advised.
I did this twice and SP still will not open. Can someone give me directions? jaybass
Posted By: jaybass Re: system prefs - 07/15/16 06:38 PM
OS 10.6.8 I put my external HD on my desktop and rebooted in startup manager which allowed me to reboot in my backup volume. I then used superduper to make my HD identical to my backup. I then rebooted in startup manager then into my HD. This didn't solve the SP problem but it removed the error window when I opened iskysoft. So now at least I can use iskysoft. So all I need now is how to open SP. jaybass
Posted By: jchuzi Re: system prefs - 07/15/16 07:08 PM
Have you tried running Disk Utility or, better still, Disk Warrior or similar high-powered utilities? If all else fails, you could reinstall the OS.
Posted By: jaybass Re: system prefs - 07/15/16 07:33 PM
I ran DU but not DW which I will in a minute. I don't want to reinstall the OS because I have leopard which means installing SL as well. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks. jaybass
Posted By: jchuzi Re: system prefs - 07/15/16 08:06 PM
I don't understand. Why can't you just reinstall SL? In case you made a typo, 10.6.8 is SL.
Posted By: jaybass Re: system prefs - 07/15/16 08:12 PM
This mac came with leopard then I added SL when it came out. BTW, DW did not work and afterwards I rebooted into safe mode and restarting but that did not work either. Would it be okay to download 10.6.8 combo from google? jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: system prefs - 07/15/16 08:17 PM
You can d/l the 10.6.8 Combo here.

Edit: Snowy stands on its own; there's no need to install Leopard before installing it.

Edit 2: If you run the Combo, here's what you'll need to run...in order:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

Safari 5.1.10 for Snow Leopard

Security Update 2013-004 (Snow Leopard)

Migration Assistant Update for Mac OS X Snow Leopard v1.1

Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard

Software update shouldn't offer you anything after they've been run, but if it does, install whatever comes up.
Posted By: jaybass Re: system prefs - 07/15/16 10:21 PM
I did exactly what you said and everything is working well. Thank you sir. jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: system prefs - 07/15/16 10:37 PM
Excellent! I'm happy to have been able to help. smile
© FineTunedMac