Home
Posted By: grelber Widgets - 01/14/16 06:28 PM
I was trying to find Dashboard in El Capitan (which a colleague had just installed on his Mac) while extolling the utility of certain widgets I have installed in Lion (many of which came with OS X 10.7) and I couldn't find it. My colleague didn't have a clue, never having availed himself of widgets in any previous OS, despite his being extremely tech knowledgeable.

What's the score?! It seems to have disappeared without a trace. Widgets seem to still exist, so how does one install them in more recent OS releases and where might they reside?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Widgets - 01/14/16 06:56 PM
In my El Cap installation, Dashboard resides in /Applications.
Posted By: grelber Re: Widgets - 01/14/16 08:37 PM
Merci. Info duly passed on.
Posted By: Ira L Re: Widgets - 01/15/16 07:05 PM
Also note that when widgets are invoked in El Capitan they do not zoom in over the current screen like they did previously. They reside in their own permanent "Dashboard space". This means the screen will slide to the left and display the widgets. Using whatever method you used to call up the widgets (I use a mouse button), do that again and the screen slides back to the current work space.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Widgets - 01/15/16 07:13 PM
Two other ways:

1. Assign a hotkey to Dashboard. You can invoke Dashboard by pressing that key and also dismiss it by pressing the key again.

2. Click the arrow at the right of the screen when you are in Dashboard.
Posted By: grelber Re: Widgets - 01/15/16 07:14 PM
As they do in Lion.
(I just couldn't figure out where Dashboard hied off to in later versions.)
© FineTunedMac