Home
Posted By: Virtual1 hide an update from all users? - 04/07/15 11:42 AM
Does anyone know of a way to prevent users on a computer from seeing the Yosemite update? I've got three machines here now that users (that are required to be admins) have "accidentally" upgraded to 10.10 and now I have to handle them differently as a result. (for now please set aside the "but why don't you want them to update?" question, that's a different topic for a different thread)
Posted By: Ira L Re: hide an update from all users? - 04/07/15 03:22 PM
Clarifications, please.

Do you mean there are partitions, one of which is Yosemite? Or do you mean that you don't want them to be able to check information and see 10.10.x?

Or now that I read your post again, you don't want them to see the availability of the update in the App Store? If the latter, good luck. Apple has made a banner touting Yosemite on the Update tab of the App Store. However, it does not trigger a red "update available" badge on the app icon.

Which, what??
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: hide an update from all users? - 04/07/15 04:26 PM
bottom line is I want to prevent them from updating the 10.9.5 boxes to 10.10.anything. I'd rather not turn off the App Store or software updates in general, but I need to prevent that particular update from getting run, by a user that is an admin. Either stop them from seeing it, stop it from being offered, or throw a spanner in the system somewhere to prevent that specific update from being able to run.
Posted By: dianne Re: hide an update from all users? - 04/07/15 06:37 PM
Might this be useful?

Don't Want to Update your Mac to OS X Yosemite? Hide the Update from the App Store
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: hide an update from all users? - 04/08/15 12:47 PM

that is per-user. I need a fix that will affect ALL users. Being in a network-account environment, any of our thousands of users on campus can walk up to this computer and login, which will create their account on-the-fly. If they're faculty or staff, that account will be an admin. And then about 5 seconds after they get to the desktop, yosemite will be all in their face wanting to update the machine. I can disable the App Store daemon so it doesn't pop up automatically quite as often, but can't stop them from going to the app store themselves and seeing yos.

I was going to make a login agent that would run when a user logs in, that would just immediately fire off and disable the update, if it were possible, but they've gone to some database (sqlite I assume) to track the updates now, and so far I haven't ran into anyone that knows how to disable the yos update via terminal. The gui of the App Store mucks with the DB to disable it. I wish I was more proficient in accessing sqllite db's from terminal. It should be possible but I don't know how to do it.
© FineTunedMac