Home
Posted By: freelance Remap media eject key? - 09/29/14 12:58 PM
I have a Mac Pro running 10.6.8 and two optical drive bays, which are both used. My question is, is there a way to remap the eject key so that "eject" opens the bottom bay and "alt_eject" opens the top bay?

Failing that, is there a way to stop the drive in the top bay from rattling/vibrating/buzzing when it has media loaded? I have had to put my most used drive in the lower bay, because any drive in the top bay makes a racket when a disc is spinning.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: alternaut Re: Remap media eject key? - 09/29/14 03:06 PM
It's interesting you want to improve the functionality of the Eject key, where most users seem to want to repurpose (read: do away with) it. While it makes perfect sense to me, I'm not sure how to remap the Eject key to meet your goal, assuming it's possible. Fortunately, there is a working software alternative: the menu bar Eject button/icon. Clicking this will list the available drives in a pulldown menu, allowing you to select the one you want. So yes, you still got to make a choice instead of just hitting a key, but it does do the job.

If it doesn't matter which drive is mounted in the top slot, the second item on your wish list sounds like a slot-hardware issue; perhaps the soft rubber anti-vibration drive grommets are worn or missing from the top slot. If true, you might want to replace the grommets in all drives, they aren't that expensive.
Posted By: freelance Re: Remap media eject key? - 09/29/14 09:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. I found out that changing the order of the plugs on the back of the drives would change the eject button to the way I wanted it. The reorder caused enough tension on the top drive that it stopped the vibration problem.

Now I just have to get the dust out of my eyes! Amazing how much filth a computer on the floor attracts...

Cheers!
Posted By: alternaut Re: Remap media eject key? - 09/29/14 10:22 PM
Thanks for the update. And while you're clearing the dust from your eyes, don't forget that Mac! laugh
© FineTunedMac