Home
Posted By: Kate New to mavericks - 06/21/14 01:38 AM
I have had multiple problems transferring data from a MacBook 10.6.8 to a new MacBook Pro Retina v10.9.2 .
I have spent hours online with Apple care including, on their recommendation, making three appointments with a Genius Bar tech.

Yesterday the transfer problem seemed to to have been resolved online by Apple Care, but in trying to bring down Mail data [once I found the Home>Library> Mail] Mail gives odd messages, but does not recognise the transferred data, so is inaccessible.

To add to my difficulties Click and Drag is not working, in fact nothing is working as expected.

I am stuck. I can,and will go back to Apple Care. A ‘one on one’ appointment with an Apple tech is not an option as I purchased the MacBook Pro Retina from a reseller as they were closer to my home.

Other than that can I wipe Mavericks completely and, if the answer is yes, which OS would you recommend I install in its place?

I now understand why the Mavericks download is free, and why Apple discussion sites are overflowing with frustrated users. Of course I should have come here first, but …
Advice would be appreciated.
Kate

I spoke with a Senior Technician at Apple Care about yet another problem: apparently it is not possible to delete the OS the computer came with and install a previous OS.
Currently I am looking at a two week old paperweight.
Posted By: Ira L Re: New to mavericks - 06/21/14 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Kate
I am stuck. I can,and will go back to Apple Care. A ‘one on one’ appointment with an Apple tech is not an option as I purchased the MacBook Pro Retina from a reseller as they were closer to my home.

If you have Apple Care, where you bought your MacBook does not matter. While it may not be as geographically convenient, it sounds as if a one-on-one, in person, with Apple, is the way to go.

I would add that the problem may be in your hardware, and not with OS X 10.9 (regardless of it being a free download). Sure, there will always be problems for someone with any software or hardware. But there are literally millions of users with no problems. And even if there are thousands of dissatisfied customers, this is a fraction of a percent; an amount (at least) that would exist in any business.

Of course none of this solves your immediate problems, but I really think you would benefit by sharing your angst in person with someone.
Posted By: tacit Re: New to mavericks - 06/22/14 01:56 AM
What odd messages are you seeing?
Posted By: slolerner Re: New to mavericks - 06/22/14 02:25 AM
Yes, the newer macs are backwardly compatible with older systems.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: New to mavericks - 06/22/14 03:07 AM

I'm guessing you meant to say "the newer macs are not backwardly compatible with older systems."
Posted By: MacManiac Re: New to mavericks - 06/22/14 10:39 AM
Kate,

I have a MacBookPro Retina running Mavericks and ALL my legacy data came across correctly when I did my migration....yours will too once you get it properly sorted. I did have an initial issue with my email, but it sorted easily once I looked up the issue and applied the fix (which happened last November, so I'm not remembering the specifics....).

My advice would be to make a day of it and take a combined holiday/working trip to go get some one-on-one time at the Apple store so that you are all fixed. Give yourself a special treat as well after making the trip and have some "me time" for yourself while in the larger metropolitan area. You won't be disappointed.

FWIW, your model of MBP can NOT go backward to an earlier OS because it has hardware (Retina) newer than 10.8 can support.

Additionally, if you haven't done it just yet, you should download and install the latest 10.9.3 Combo update for your Retina and see if that might help.....it can be found HERE....

Let us know....
Posted By: slolerner Re: New to mavericks - 06/22/14 01:38 PM
Quote:
I'm guessing you meant to say "the newer macs are not backwardly compatible with older systems."

My bad, sorry DK. I misinterpreted something from the Snowy string in the Lounge. I will keep my beak shut in future if I am not sure.

Posted By: Kate Re: New to mavericks - 09/28/14 02:07 AM
My apologies to everyone who replied to my original question - I truly did think I had come back to say that, after two weeks of contact with AppleCare, and Remote access tech jiggling whatever was stopping the transfer was solved.

I know how irritating it is for people not to come back and give follow up. I don't know why I forgot but I did and am sorry.
Kate
Posted By: joemikeb Re: New to mavericks - 09/28/14 08:26 PM
Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know you reached a satisfactory conclusion to your issue, Your feedback is appreciated.
© FineTunedMac