Home
Posted By: jaybass leopard to snow leopard - 01/31/13 08:55 PM
OS 10.6.8 Yesterday I downloaded snow leopard and ran into many problems the chief of which was not being able to boot up several times after each update. I missed a few of the incremental updates which was probably the reason. My son is going to update too. Is it necessary to update every single update or is there a shortcut?
From the basic 10.6, how many updates are there to 10.6.8? Just what is the proper way?
I hope someone can help.
jaybass
Posted By: jchuzi Re: leopard to snow leopard - 01/31/13 09:23 PM
The best and easiest way is to use the Combo 10.6.8 Updater. It will install all the incremental updates in one fell swoop. Of course, there will still be updates to specific things but do the Combo first and then use Software Update for everything else.
Posted By: alternaut Re: leopard to snow leopard - 02/01/13 12:50 AM
Jon's right. Just last weekend I upgraded an 2008 MBP from Leopard to Snow Leopard (new TurboTax requirement), and did it as Jon described after I had cloned the Leopard setup: the Combo update followed by Software Update, followed by 3rd party update checks. Things went fine, except for details like the resetting of (WiFi) printers etc., which needed manual attention.
Posted By: jaybass Re: leopard to snow leopard - 02/01/13 03:20 PM
Thank you for that Jon. I sure wish I had asked first before giving myself all that bother. Thanks for the confirmation alternaut.
jaybass
Posted By: ryck Re: leopard to snow leopard - 02/01/13 03:27 PM
I've had to reinstall 10.6.8 twice. The first time I went through the 8 or 9 updates individually - downloading, installing, restarting - for what seemed an eternity. The second time I used the Combo Update and it was "no fuss, no muss, no bother".

I had to do a couple of minor things like upgrade my Safari to 5.1.7 ( and maybe that's now taken care of) but it was much easier and faster. The other downside of doing all the updates separately is that it's 8 or 9 opportunities to make a mistake.

Go Combo.
Posted By: artie505 Re: leopard to snow leopard - 02/03/13 09:52 PM
ryck's post to your iTunes thread got me looking at this thread again, and I noticed "Yesterday I downloaded snow leopard ...." (Emphasis added)

If that literally means what it says:

1. You're running bootleg software, because there is no legal way to d/l Snow Leopard.

2. Lord only knows what you've got installed on your Mac!
Posted By: jaybass Re: leopard to snow leopard - 02/25/13 02:29 PM
artie505
I have only just realized that I said I downloaded snow leopard as opposed to having used the snow leopard CD which I did. Better late than never.
jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: leopard to snow leopard - 02/25/13 07:14 PM
Thanks for clarifying that. I'm happy to hear that you're legal. smile
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: leopard to snow leopard - 02/28/13 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: artie505
Thanks for clarifying that. I'm happy to hear that you're legal. smile

illegal? no, that's just a sick bird.
© FineTunedMac