Home
Posted By: Virtual1 Lion hiding ~/Library? - 08/14/11 03:22 PM
I found this annoying, Lion appears to have hidden the user's Library folder. I can see why, I've had to fix dozens of things as a result, same as the packaging of the Iphoto and iTunes libraries, but still it irks me.

And we've gotten quite a few confused users concerning this "All my files" nonsense.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Lion hiding ~/Library? - 08/14/11 03:42 PM
Show User Library Directory in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and/or Access User ~/Library Folder in OS X Lion

In addition, look at Lion Tweaks. Although it's not free, the latest version of Tinker Tool System also allows this.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Lion hiding ~/Library? - 09/14/11 12:58 AM
Still no Lion for me... but from what i've read, we just hold the option key while mousing the Go menu in Finder to get to ~/Library

[but yeah, it can also be unhidden quite easily]
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Lion hiding ~/Library? - 09/14/11 09:21 AM
Welcome home, Hal. It's nice to see you again. smile
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Lion hiding ~/Library? - 09/14/11 05:05 PM
Here is how to show the LIBRARY FOLDER in your HOME FOLDER:

1. Go to your Applications folder.
2. Go to the Utilities folder.
3. Double click on Terminal to open it.
4. Highlight all the text below ; copy to clipboard.

chflags nohidden ~/Library

5. In the Terminal Window press, paste text from clipboard. Press Enter.

Note: To revert back to the default setting change “nohidden” to “hidden” in Step 4.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Lion hiding ~/Library? - 09/14/11 06:32 PM
really, chflags is part of os x now? I thought that was part of a separate package.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Lion hiding ~/Library? - 09/15/11 12:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
really, chflags is part of os x now? I thought that was part of a separate package.

/usr/bin/chflags itself has been inside Mac OSX since day one (i.e., as a standard Unix item).

The hidden/nohidden "flag" however first appeared in Leopard (i.e., as a non-Unix, Apple-only option).

Clarification: that flag has always existed as part of Finder (where utilities like ResEdit and File Buddy, etc. were needed to tweak icon visibility). But the ability for the chflags command to toggle that Finder flag was introduced in OSX 10.5
© FineTunedMac