Home
Posted By: Ira L 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/20/11 08:30 PM
Anyone have anything to share?

There are some very good overview articles at MacCentral/MacWorld .
I just completed the upgrade to Lion....still learning how to navigate without a full-sized gestures-capable built-in track pad.....I have a wireless Apple bluetooth trackpad that will do all the gestures, but I won't always have it with me when I'm away.

The whole process was very straight forward and painless.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/20/11 09:07 PM
I've had very little exposure to it as of yet but I liked the new boot install menu. It takes quite awhile (15-20 min) to prepare the installer as it squirrels away a partition if you try to install from download instead of media. The itunes 10.4 update is available by download but the ARD 3.5.1 appears to only be available via softwareupdate - support.apple.com doesn't know about it (as of yet) I neglected to do a download&keep and now I can't stash a copy until my next install.

They were somewhat lacking in Lion-themed desktop pictures too.

Is it just me, or is the entire internet running slow today as a result of hundreds of thousands of people downloading 3.8gb images? I've looked at two different ISP graphs and it's like "oh, I know what that's being caused by!"
My install was uneventful as those things go.
1. Repairing Permissions yielded many fewer hits that previously.
2. DiskWarrior found about 30% of the files needed correction, fixing, or whatever is the proper terminology.
3 Four duplicate Palatino fonts were discovered.
4. I enjoy finding things as I left them after restarting.

Still, bumbling about finding my way. So much to learn...
Posted By: roger Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/21/11 12:22 AM
seems quite snappy, I'm liking the new Mail (I think), and though it took me a bit to get used to the reverse scroll, I like it, too. ( I know you can put it back, but change is good.) and the auto-correct typing is pretty neat, too!

I had an issue with racing fans but that seems to have settled down. there is something in the Activity Monitor called "Report Crash" which is jumping in and out sucking up 50% of the CPU, and also "sandbox" which jumps in with about 20%, but the fans have stopped racing, so I guess it's ok.

looking good!!
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/21/11 12:25 AM

Perhaps the racing fans were due to Spotlight indexing activity following the addition of several GB worth of new files to your drive?
Posted By: roger Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/21/11 12:27 AM
Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Perhaps the racing fans were due to Spotlight indexing activity following the addition of several GB worth of new files to your drive?

could be! good thought. it's nice and quiet now.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/21/11 12:49 AM
I am also adjusting to the "reverse scrolling" but it is quickly becoming normal. I was surprised by the updates to iWork and iTunes that appeared in Software Update. I had been updating several apps a day for the last week or two but my wife had not. As a result MacUpdate found 38 out of date apps — mostly Lion compatibility updates.

I was taken aback when I attempted to launch NeoOffice and the OS asked if I wanted to find and install Java then I remembered Java is no longer included. A yes response to the query and maybe two minutes later and Java had been downloaded from Oracle and installed. That was a major relief because my accounting software is written in Java. tongue

So far only one application, Datavault Password Manager, has glitches and I have not been able to determine with certainty whether the problem is because of Lion or not. But it is suspicious. So fat the big expensive apps like Acrobat and Filemaker are performing perfectly.

My main problem at the moment is remembering all the trackpad gestures to activate new features like Mission Control, and Launchpad. But that is a good problem to have. cool
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/21/11 02:29 PM
as for software update, I think adding it to the About This Mac window was a good idea.
Posted By: Ira L Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/21/11 05:10 PM
For an extensive (19 web pages) alphabetical list of Lion compatible software, check out Roaring Apps .
Posted By: jchuzi Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/21/11 05:51 PM

Known Issues with Adobe products on Mac OS 10.7 Lion.

Posted By: tacit Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/21/11 11:01 PM
Ars Technica has an enormous review of Lion posted.
Posted By: roger Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/21/11 11:48 PM
I am liking Lion a lot, though I found out today that my early 2008 MacBook won't do AirDrop. bums me out.

other than that everything seems very snappy, and just that much cooler.

;¬ )
joemikeb,

I read today that "undo" does not work in Yojimbo (which, if I recall correctly from the ancient forums, you use). On the other hand, I was able to export all of my Yojimbo content without any problems, so I can use it while waiting for the update.

Posted By: joemikeb Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/22/11 12:54 AM
Cupertino, I think you have another hit on your hands. laugh

I installed Lion on my wife's MacMini last night and this morning she took the batteries out of her Magic Mouse and replaced it with a wireless trackpad. All day long she has kept interrupting to show me another new feature she has found. The latest being tracking number recognition and lookup in Mail. I knew it was a success when she posted a Lion notice on her Facebook page.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/22/11 12:56 AM
Datavault Password Manager is broken in Lion due to a glitch in the OS X crypto routine. They are looking for a workaround (and I am sure hoping for a fix from Apple).
Apparently, some (all?) have discovered that the Library is missing from their Home folder. Perhaps this is to keep users from messing with it? I dunno.

But it is accessible via Finder->Go by pressing the Option key.

Should you wish to have it permanently resident & visible in your Home folder, just copy & paste the following in to Terminal:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/
Posted By: roger Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/22/11 02:40 PM
I have a question about Mail in Lion. should I post it here, or in the Apps forum?

the question is this: Has anyone found a way to delete an email without reading it? I know I can revert to the "Classic" email, but that kind of defeats the whole`e venture, eh? wink
Posted By: jchuzi Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/22/11 03:23 PM
From Mail Help (at least in Snow Leopard): To delete the message without viewing it in the preview pane, Control-click it and choose Delete from the pop-up menu. It works that way in Entourage as well.
Posted By: roger Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/22/11 03:28 PM
thanks, Jon!! laugh
Enhanced security in Lion?

When I run a ping test on Snow Leopard I have 0 packet loss. But when I run the same test from the same source on Lion, I am advised that the results are indeterminable as the packet loss portion of the ping test cannot be completed. Turning off the firewall made no difference.

FWIW, my tests were performed here.
You're missing a plug-in with your initial Lion install.....the Java for OS X Lion download is available by clicking the "Missing Plug-in" link on the Ping Test.net page (just below the test pane). It should automagically take you into Software update to download the new feature.

Once the new Java software is installed you'll need to restart your browser in order to enable it. One of the nice features of the new Java package is that it will notify you when PingTest.net requests to use your computer for their test.
Originally Posted By: MacManiac
You're missing a plug-in with your initial Lion install.....the Java for OS X Lion download is available by clicking the "Missing Plug-in" link on the Ping Test.net page (just below the test pane). It should automagically take you into Software update to download the new feature.

Once the new Java software is installed you'll need to restart your browser in order to enable it. One of the nice features of the new Java package is that it will notify you when PingTest.net requests to use your computer for their test.

That did it. Mercy beaucoup!
C' nes pas rien!
My 50 cents. Downloaded Lion in about 5 minutes and it automatically installed itself on MacPro 2011 in about 30 min. Repaired permissions - a lot to repair actually, but the timing was one-third of SL. All browsers open faster and load pages faster, this is a plus. Another plus - Microsoft Office apps also open much faster.
One caveat. The downloaded installer gets removed after installation and cannot be found anymore. If one wants to create a bootable Lion disk, there may be a possibility to re-download (as per some bloggers). However, this does not work on the computer where it has been already installed. AppStore shows Lion as "installed" and does not download anything. So, it must be done from another computer, I guess.
For some reason, both Libraries are visible after install. Also, the first message after install-restart that popped up was about installing Java runtime, which I dutifully did. No problems so far.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/26/11 11:31 PM
How to make a bootable Lion install disc or drive.
Thanks, Jon.
What I missed there (actually, there is another link in that article) is that for restoring the system, or repair disk with DU one can boot into a hidden partition that Lion now creates, and which is called recovery HD. It is accessed by pressing the Option Key after a restart chime. Very neat.
Posted By: artie505 Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/27/11 08:10 AM
Originally Posted By: macnerd10
Thanks, Jon.
What I missed there (actually, there is another link in that article) is that for restoring the system, or repair disk with DU one can boot into a hidden partition that Lion now creates, and which is called recovery HD. It is accessed by pressing the Option Key after a restart chime. Very neat.

That partition can also be accessed by depressing command-R at the sound of the chime.
For those who want a Lion startup disk, I downloaded it again and when the installer asked me to continue, just quit it and got the full installer in the Applications folder. Then it can be copied to a flash drive, and one can proceed as in Jon's link.
The suspense is whether I will get charged for a second download. When I go to purchases in AppStore, there is no longer an option to buy Lion but to install (must be done from a computer NOT running Lion). However, when I clicked that, my billing info reappeared and the credit card code had to be put in again. Will report whether they charged me twice or not. Right now the bank is processing the charges.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/27/11 07:04 PM
I hope that you didn't use Paypal.
No, a credit card that was stored in iTunes store.
Beware: I forgot my new password for this store and tried a couple. To do this in the AppStore, you need to click on "buy", and I chose Adobe Elements. After I input the right password and hit OK, the program started downloading and my card was immediately charged. I aborted the download and asked iTunes to reverse the charge. Will see what they have to say with 0 bytes downloaded. Yesterday, when I did the same for Lion, I first got to the payment screen, input the credit card identifier number and only after that got to the download.
We must be careful with this site.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/27/11 09:45 PM

Sounds like you're learning some of this stuff the hard way, Alex. wink

For future reference:

iTunes Store: Retrieving and changing passwords (Apple ID)
Looks like it...
But the problem is with Apple too. They were not supposed to charge unless I click on "place order" or something like that. I was dead sure that the next window will be order details first.
A little trick to download Lion again for creating a bootable disk after it has been installed. In this case, the install option in AppStore is grayed out and there is no longer an installer copy in the Applications folder.
CNET forums
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/28/11 12:09 AM

I forgot my new password for this store and tried a couple. To do this in the AppStore, you need to click on "buy", and I chose Adobe Elements. After I input the right password and hit OK, the program started downloading...

From Mac App Store: How to browse and purchase from the Mac App Store:

Quote:
When you find an app that you like, click Buy (you may be asked to sign in with your Apple ID)....When you click Buy, the app will begin downloading automatically...[emphasis added]

I think the point is to make purchasing apps as easy as possible.
Right, but in case of Lion download it was not the same, I would say it was normal. I got to the payment window first. This is why I got erroneously confident that it would happen every time.
Posted By: artie505 Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/28/11 08:14 AM
Originally Posted By: artie505
Thanks, Jon.

That partition can also be accessed by depressing command-R at the sound of the chime.

Further, command-R is the only way to access the recovery partition if you've implemented FileVault 2.
Posted By: Ira L Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/29/11 05:41 PM
Downloading again should work on the installed computer. Here is an explanation:
"The installer is deleted by the system after the installation is complete. If you go to the Mac App Store and press the Option key while clicking "Purchases," you should then be able to download the installer again. (If the installer file already exists on your system then the App Store will not let you download it again.)

Apparently, Apple only allows two Lion downloads for the same price or has an expiration time on the first. My download link does not work anymore no matter how I try (option, etc) after three days.
If you make a copy of the Install Mac OS X Lion installer file, or move it from /Applications before running the installer, it is not deleted when the installation is complete.

I am surprised that I have not seen more references to the Adobe pdf viewer plug-in being incompatible with Safari 5. So far, this alternative is workikng for me:

http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/
Originally Posted By: MicroMatTech3
I am surprised that I have not seen more references to the Adobe pdf viewer plug-in being incompatible with Safari 5. So far, this alternative is workikng for me:

http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/

Perhaps those affected also came across John Griffin's suggestion, or found that schubert link independently. smirk
Regardless, thanks for posting it here. cool
PDFbrowser Plugin now has a scrolling option. What still bugs me is that no search option is enabled. BTW, Firefox can use Adobe pdf viewer plugin well.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: 10.7 Experiences or Create a New Forum? - 07/31/11 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: macnerd 10
Apparently, Apple only allows two Lion downloads for the same price or has an expiration time on the first. My download link does not work anymore no matter how I try (option, etc) after three days.

After three installs of Lion on three different computers on day one, after a week's interval the App Store allowed me to install a copy of Lion on two other drives on the first system on one system. That would seem to invalidate your theory.

I have found however the App Store will not happily allow a reinstallation of any app, and I presume that includes Lion, if there are any copies of that app on the boot drive. All traces must be completely removed before anything can be reinstalled.

Perhaps the invisible Emergency Boot partition Lion installs on the boot drive is seen by the App Store Installer and blocking your third download. You might also try booting from the Emergency Boot partition and trying another download and install from there. Apparently that is its intended use.
Some more Lion How-Tos:
- How to make a bootable Lion install disc or drive
- Lion DiskMaker
And from Apple:
Lion Recovery Disk Assistant
© FineTunedMac