Home
I've see this before.
Today, I had 4 psd files in a folder on my desktop.
I dragged one from the folder to the desktop and it disappeared.
I did the same with other three, same thing.
Then I did see something in the way upper left of the monitor.
I dragged them all back the center. they were all on top of each other, and had to extricate them from one another.
What is this? I've seen it before occasionally. thanks.
I have seen this before, but it has been so long ago I cannot remember how I resolved the problem so I had to resort to a Google search to find answers. The solutions I found are pretty obvious and predate Leapord much less Snow Leopard, but that does not mean they won't work.
  1. Deleting /Users/your account/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
  2. Deleting /Users/your account/.DS_Store file in the Desktop folder (Note this file is invisible so you will have to make it visible first or use a utility such as Cocktail, Mac Pilot, OnyX, Tinkertool System, etc. to delete it.
  3. From your descripion I do not think this fitrs your problem, but one person reported that too many files and folders on the desktop can cause Finder to stack new entries. There was no mention of how many is too many.
thanks Joe!
I don't have a cluttered desktop, so #3 is not the issue.

So you say, don't bother with #1 and #2 yet, you are not 90º or more sure 1 or 2 would solve this?

I just tested it and it's consistent, surprisingly! so I should solve it.
PS - issue seems to have resolved with a reboot.

Of course it could come back. I've seen it before, so if someone knows the definitive reason it shows up, we'd all like to know!
It is absolutely amazing how many issues are solved with a reboot and how often that fact is forgotten.

Originally Posted By: kevs

So you say, don't bother with #1 and #2 yet, you are not 90º or more sure 1 or 2 would solve this?

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. Personally I would have tried first one and then the other but then your problem was solved with a simple reboot, so my suggestions were overkill. Now I am wondering if quitting and rest restarting Finder might have been enough?
thanks Joe,
well I'll report back it this continues or comes back a lot.
© FineTunedMac