Home
Posted By: artie505 Reset user's home permissions? - 12/15/10 12:19 PM
Beginning with Leopard we've been able to do this while booted from our install discs, but I don't think I've ever seen a Terminal command posted, and I'm not certain that what Google turns up is what I'm asking about.

Actually, I'm not even 100% certain what the exercise accomplishes, in the first place.

Anybody?

Thanks.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Reset user's home permissions? - 12/15/10 05:33 PM
Do you mean just "permissions" --- or ownership, group membership and ACLs as well?

It takes more than a single command to cover everything. I believe my old homeACLtool script still functions in 10.6 —but that's just for ACLs.

The utility you mentioned (on the install dvd) does the whole megillah... including setting the group on [changed] items to 'wheel' for some strange reason (IIRC).

Quote:
Actually, I'm not even 100% certain what the exercise accomplishes, in the first place.

If you're not having a specific problem, then perhaps "exercise" is the right word. OTOH, if someone is being denied access to some items inside their own home, then maybe "solution" is a more appropriate description.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Reset user's home permissions? - 12/15/10 05:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
I believe my old homeACLtool script still functions in 10.6 —but that's just for ACLs.

Oops... actually it's broken (in a very benign way), because fsaclctl no longer exists.

I believe the fix is to simply comment out this entire block:
Code:
if [[ $1 ]] && [[ $1 != -l ]]
then
	if [ -r /usr/sbin/fsaclctl ] && z=`fsaclctl -p / 2>/dev/null`
	then
		if echo $z |grep -iqs disabled
		then
			printf 'Need to enable ACLs with \e[1msudo' >&2
			printf ' fsaclctl -p / -e\e[0m\nand restart,' >&2
			printf ' before this script becomes useful.\n' >&2
			exit2sh 1 #ACLs disabled
		fi
	else
		printf 'cannot find fsaclctl\n' >&2
		exit2sh 1 #ACLs impossible
	fi
fi

...but i can post a more official version if you so desire.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Reset user's home permissions? - 12/15/10 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Do you mean just "permissions" --- or ownership, group membership and ACLs as well?

It takes more than a single command to cover everything. I believe my old homeACLtool script still functions in 10.6 —but that's just for ACLs.

The utility you mentioned (on the install dvd) does the whole megillah... including setting the group on [changed] items to 'wheel' for some strange reason (IIRC).

Quote:

If you're not having a specific problem, then perhaps "exercise" is the right word. OTOH, if someone is being denied access to some items inside their own home, then maybe "solution" is a more appropriate description.

I mean whatever running that routine from your install disk accomplishes, and I'm wondering whether it can be acconplished without rebooting?

It's a veeery looong shot, but I thought it might help me with my Excel problem.

Edit: [shrug] I guess I'll just reboot. [/shrug]
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Reset user's home permissions? - 12/15/10 06:07 PM
Originally Posted By: artie505
It's a veeery looong shot, but I thought it might help me with my Excel problem.

idunno, but since (in the Excel thread) you stated: "I've tried my test account,"
i do have doubts it will make any difference. [no harm trying though.]
© FineTunedMac