Home
Posted By: Virtual1 COMPLETELY disable keyboard during SS - 08/06/10 12:32 AM
my cats like to sit/walk on my keyboard when I'm out of the room. (y'know, cats and warm stuff to sit on)

I have made it a habit to turn on my screensaver when I leave my computer, and it's set to get a pw when it is woke, so that stops random posts to chat rooms etc, but they are still hitting my F keys and doing things like turning on itunes, adjusting volume, and tonight they apparently found how to open the Sound control panel while I was mowing the lawn.

I don't see an option to disable f-keys during screensaver. Is it possible?
Posted By: alternaut Re: COMPLETELY disable keyboard during SS - 08/06/10 12:42 AM
I know it's a pain in the patootie (and likely not what you're looking for), but how about yanking the keyboard's USB cord, batteries or flipping its power switch, whichever applies? smirk

PS, your cat(s) accessing Sound control is hilarious. Like one of mine plucking the carpet in front of the closed bedroom door... mad wink

PS2, if you've got a laptop, start saving for a new carpet.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: COMPLETELY disable keyboard during SS - 08/06/10 01:50 AM

Well, you could always make it a habit to lock your screen when you're out of the room. Checking the Keychain Access -> Preferences -> Show Status in Menu Bar checkbox puts a padlock icon among your menu extras; the first menu item is Lock Screen. Screen saver starts immediately.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: COMPLETELY disable keyboard during SS - 08/06/10 11:04 AM
And then, there are always the hard/acrylic keyboard covers: http://www.viziflex.com/store/template.cfm/ses_/c,list,x,44,441,x/Retail%2FPOS:%20Protection/Pet%20Proof/

Though that may preclude the next Great American Novel. frown

Posted By: joemikeb Re: COMPLETELY disable keyboard during SS - 08/06/10 04:39 PM
The Apple wireless keyboard has an off/on switch.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: COMPLETELY disable keyboard during SS - 08/08/10 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Well, you could always make it a habit to lock your screen when you're out of the room. Checking the Keychain Access -> Preferences -> Show Status in Menu Bar checkbox puts a padlock icon among your menu extras; the first menu item is Lock Screen. Screen saver starts immediately.

That's what I'm already doing. the F keys do not trip the screensaver password box even. They just function as usual, which was a bit surprising. I can somewhat see the screen brightness being immune, but itunes play?

Yes, this is a laptop, cannot turn off or unplug keyboard.

And incidentally, I've gone one step quicker on starting my screensaver with lock. I have a dock item I can click that immediately starts the locked screensaver.
© FineTunedMac