Home
Posted By: grelber iAds — Ptui!! - 04/08/10 09:10 PM
Apple Unveils Mobile Ad System

If ever there were incentive to go off the grid and hide in a cave ... forever ...

Hmmm ... maybe we could trade Uncle Steve to the Taliban for [fill in blank] ...
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/09/10 05:50 PM
What's new about that? Do you even use any apps from the app store? If you ever did download a nice free one, you'd know: they have been coming with ads ALL ALONG. This is news to you???

So now the ads will be better integrated. Instead of forcing the player to leave the game (which they already do, and have done ALL ALONG), they will now be part of the game. E.g., interactively try it out a demo of whatever is being promoted.

Why are you all worked up about an improvement on such an old (and already existing) concept?

You don't like the idea of developers getting paid for hard work (while users get to play games for 99 cents or some ridiculously low price)?

Are you a communist or something? grin
Posted By: grelber Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/09/10 05:57 PM
RE the lattermost ...

Nope, free market capitalist all the way. However, ...

I detest ads by and large, especially those which are intrusive with respect to the issue I'm interested in or investigating.

Fortunately, I've developed tunnel vision with respect to most advertising. So most of it is only literally a peripheral annoyance. But annoyance qua noise it still is.

To paraphrase the badgers, I don't need no stinkin' apps (or iPhones or iPods or TamPads, for that matter). I revel in my Ludditely bliss. So sweet. ...
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/09/10 06:15 PM
Originally Posted By: grelber
To paraphrase the badgers, I don't need no stinkin' apps (or iPhones or iPods or TamPads, for that matter). I revel in my Ludditely bliss. So sweet. ...

Then all that stuff won't affect you anyway. And maybe no one "needs" an iPhone/iPod/iPad really, but they sure are wicked cool and tons of fun. They are even quite productive in some ways (not unlike a Mac).

idunno, avoiding these hi-tech toys (while acting huffy about it) seems . . . strangely foreign somehow. Apple's new iPad is game-changing. Once they work out the initial foibles (hopefully via the iPOS 4.0 this Fall), it's gonna rock the world. [as a mobile device i mean... it will never, ever **replace** a Mac, IMHO.]
Posted By: grelber Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/09/10 07:53 PM
I'm also not going to change to the 'new' Scrabble and Super-Scrabble rules (as Mattel is suggesting in order to curry favor with the illiterati and sell more games and dictionaries, the latter of which will become meaningless, given the fluid creativity of language).
Posted By: ryck Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/09/10 09:04 PM
I'm also not going to change to the 'new' Scrabble and Super-Scrabble rules...

Now, there's something I can take issue with...okay, okay, with which I can take issue. Although I have to admit I briefly thought about how nice it would be to get Zimbabwe on a triple word score.

ryck
Posted By: dboh Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/12/10 11:16 AM
Over the weekend, I heard a representative from the company say that they weren't changing the rules. What they were doing was introducing a new version of the game to be sold in other countries.
Posted By: grelber Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/12/10 01:06 PM
Yeah, right. And the check's/cheque's in the mail/post.
Posted By: ryck Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/12/10 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: dboh
What they were doing was introducing a new version of the game to be sold in other countries.

So I might actually have to go to Zimbabwe in order to use Zimbabwe? Drat!

ryck
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/12/10 06:07 PM

Nah, just use a traditional version and play the game on a boat outside your territorial waters. wink
Posted By: grelber Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/12/10 09:51 PM
But watch out for Somali pirates! (Or at least have a couple of Navy SEAL snipers on board.)
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/13/10 12:52 AM

Somali pirates off the west coast of Canada?! Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.
Posted By: alternaut Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/13/10 01:35 AM
Looks like the Gulfstream is picking up steam: as gauged by your fading signal you're drifting away fast! shocked
Posted By: grelber Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/13/10 01:59 PM
RE Somali pirates off the west coast of Canada?!

¡¿Qué?! At last count, Zimbabwe was landlocked in southern Africa (the latter being home to the horn of Africa, land of the Somalis).
Posted By: ryck Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/13/10 04:46 PM
RE Somali pirates off the west coast of Canada?! ¡¿Qué?

I think dkmarsh meant that I likely wouldn't need to worry about Somali pirates near my location - Lat 48o 25', Long -123o 21' - which is on the west coast of Canada...although it might be worth fighting pirates to get that score. If someone gives you the "i" or the "w" in the right place, you'd get two triples and the 50 bonus for all letters used in one word. Sweet.

ryck
Posted By: grelber Re: iAds — Ptui!! - 04/13/10 04:54 PM
Indeed. But you also mused that you might have to go to Zimbabwe to play "Zimbabwe", nicht wahr?
© FineTunedMac