Home
Posted By: artie505 Turning the clock back - 11/06/22 09:12 AM
I've never paid attention, just assumed that after the clock hit 2:59:59, the next tick would be 2:00:00, but that's not the way it happened.

My clock stopped at 1:59:59, and left me without a visible working clock for an hour, but curiously, a test folder created at 2:40 showed an incorrect creation time of 1:40, i.e., the clock had already been set back an hour behind the scenes.

I can't begin to figure out the logic involved here, but it seems to me that macOS's generating an incorrect creation time is a bug regardless of the logic. (Reported)

https://imgur.com/RH0nUbw
Posted By: artie505 Re: Turning the clock back - 11/06/22 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by artie505
I've never paid attention, just assumed that after the clock hit 2:59:59, the next tick would be 2:00:00, but that's not the way it happened.

My clock stopped at 1:59:59, and left me without a visible working clock for an hour, but curiously, a test folder created at 2:40 showed an incorrect creation time of 1:40, i.e., the clock had already been set back an hour behind the scenes.

I can't begin to figure out the logic involved here, but it seems to me that macOS's generating an incorrect creation time is a bug regardless of the logic. (Reported)

https://imgur.com/RH0nUbw

I expected the change to be accomplished with a two hour period encompassed in a one hour "created" time frame. Back-dating creation seems like a poor way to have dealt with it.
Posted By: MacManiac Re: Turning the clock back - 11/06/22 07:04 PM

Artie, it looks to me like you have WWWWwwwwaaaayyyy too much free time on your hands..... blush shocked cool
Posted By: ryck Re: Turning the clock back - 11/07/22 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by artie505
I expected the change to be accomplished with a two hour period encompassed in a one hour "created" time frame.
I was lucky....I slept through it.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Turning the clock back - 11/07/22 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by MacManiac
Artie, it looks to me like you have WWWWwwwwaaaayyyy too much free time on your hands..... blush shocked cool
Sorry, guys, but I don't get your point.

I'm always on line overnight, so it's not like I stayed up to watch the ball drop, and I'd be astounded if either of you guys told me that your screen clock didn't change for an hour and you didn't take a look behind the scenes.
Posted By: Ira L Re: Turning the clock back - 11/07/22 05:49 PM
I thought the time change occurred at 2:00 AM, at which time it became 1:00 AM. Your description says the change occurs at 3:00 AM, but your observations support a 2 AM change.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Turning the clock back - 11/08/22 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Ira L
I thought the time change occurred at 2:00 AM, at which time it became 1:00 AM. Your description says the change occurs at 3:00 AM, but your observations support a 2 AM change.
I was confused..thought the change occurred at 3:00 AM. crazy (And Apple didn't help me in the least.)

What apparently happened was Apple set the system clock back an hour at 2:00 AM behind the scenes, but for some reason didn't do it on-screen.

So in effect, the change happened at 2:00 AM behind the scenes, and at 3:00 AM on-screen.
Posted By: Gregg Re: Turning the clock back - 11/09/22 01:45 PM
And it looks like we will be doing this in the US for awhile longer…
© FineTunedMac