Home
Posted By: jchuzi AirTags vs. bad actors - 12/31/21 12:35 PM
Everyone concerned with privacy and safety should be aware of this: Are Apple AirTags Being Used to Track People and Steal Cars?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: AirTags vs. bad actors - 01/01/22 01:10 PM
Here's a followup article: The AirTag stalking problem is only partially Apple's problem, it's mostly law enforcement's
Posted By: joemikeb Re: AirTags vs. bad actors - 01/01/22 11:00 PM
My response to the first article was to buy an AirTag to put in an inconspicuous place in my new car. Not only does it provide the ability to find my car if it is stolen, it is another way to locate it in the DFW airport parking lot. (Once my return flight went to a different terminal than I departed from and I didn't notice the difference and spent hours searching the wrong, but otherwise identical, parking garage.)

My response to the AI editorial is it is not just law enforcement (the police, prosecutors, judges etc.) that haven't caught up with tag stalking and tag use in theft, the legislature's need to appropriately amend the laws so law enforcement will have something to enforce and the $$$$$ needed for equipment, staff, and training to do the job. This should be covered under Biden's cyber security initiative, but it appears that the majority reaction to that by law enforcement, government, and even businesses is a collective yawn, opting out, and finger pointing at big tech. Ignorance is NOT bliss!
Posted By: jchuzi Re: AirTags vs. bad actors - 01/25/22 03:04 PM
Here's an interesting article: Apple's AirTag uncovers a secret German intelligence agency. And, if that's not enough, Army wife uses AirTags to track shady movers
Posted By: ryck Re: AirTags vs. bad actors - 01/25/22 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by jchuzi
The first question that came to my mind was: "Where the hell is the military in all of this?" The military requires families to move from base to base and, I assume, they are paying the bills. The total amount must be huge and, even divvied among several companies, would represent a significant portion of the movers' revenue. It seems to me that a letter from a senior military official to the senior moving executives "Fix the problems or you're off our list of vendors" should have a positive effect.
© FineTunedMac