Home
Posted By: ryck Is the Republican party headed down the toilet? - 05/03/21 07:42 PM
In a television program this morning, the reporter opined that Kevin McCarthy had calculated that the Republicans could not win in 2024 without the former president on board. What!!?? Given the dismal record of the former president (generally acknowledged to be the worst president in the history of the country), how can the election prospects of the Republican party hang on such a loser?
Originally Posted by ryck
In a television program this morning, the reporter opined that Kevin McCarthy had calculated that the Republicans could not win in 2024 without the former president on board. What!!?? Given the dismal record of the former president (generally acknowledged to be the worst president in the history of the country), how can the election prospects of the Republican party hang on such a loser?
Today's so-called Republicans bear little resemblance to the GOP of even George W. Bush's time. Many (most?) of those Republican of old have been pushed to the sidelines and driven out of any active role in the party. The current Republican's loyalty is not to the country or the American people but solely to the Trumpeter in Chief and whatever it takes, even insurrection, is acceptable if it keeps them in power. They abhor, any thought of being a loyal opposition. Trump is their only raison d'etre and without him in the lead they are likely fracture into a half dozen or more impotent factions.
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Today's so-called Republicans bear little resemblance to the GOP of even George W. Bush's time.
There's a lot of truth in that statement. The old Republicans did what any opposition party does - they debated the issues in front of them. President Biden is pushing through huge reformative measures but Republicans around the country aren't saying much because they're too busy with voter suppression.

I think it's interesting that the few Republican who are quacking, are bemoaning "there's no bipartisan effort in Biden's packages". They don't seem to have noticed that he has got bipartisan approval, but at the voter level. Most citizens, whether Democrat or Republican, are giving President Biden's efforts the nod.
Originally Posted by joemikeb
They abhor, any thought of being a loyal opposition. Trump is their only raison d'etre and without him in the lead they are likely fracture into a half dozen or more impotent factions.
I fear you are right but I hope, for the sake of the country, that some leader will come along who can create a united opposition and get down to doing the job of an opposition party. I wonder if it will mean that the existing remnants of the Republican party need to be replaced with something brand new.
© FineTunedMac