Home
Posted By: ryck Eyeglass try-ons....keep an eye on them - 08/24/19 02:06 PM
I visited an online eyeglass vendor and they had a "see how they look on you" feature that required permission to use the iMac camera, which I granted. After looking at a few frames I went to my Safari Preferences to turn off the permission.

While the Prefs were open I took the opportunity to check a couple of other things and found that the eyeglass site had also toggled on my microphone. I removed the microphone permission that hadn't been knowingly granted.

My landline phone has a handset extension on the computer desk and I therefore have a lot of conversations in front of the computer. It's scary to think that the microphone would have been open during future conversations if I had not poked around in my Safari preferences.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Eyeglass try-ons....keep an eye on them - 08/24/19 02:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Next time Safari Technology Preview asks for permission to activate a service for a web site I will remember this and hopefully won't get so annoyed. 🙅‍♂️
Posted By: artie505 Re: Eyeglass try-ons....keep an eye on them - 08/24/19 03:08 PM
That's totally unacceptable; I hope you've made a LOT of noise!

I go through my Websites pane on an irregular regular basis to make sure nothing like that's happened to me.
© FineTunedMac