Home
Posted By: joemikeb Apple Fortunes - 08/01/18 03:18 PM
Apple stock hits new high, Apple sells fewer Macs than any quarter since 2010, and 4 out of every 5 Macs sold is a laptop! What, if anything, does that portend for the future of Mac desktops?
Posted By: Ira L Re: Apple Fortunes - 08/01/18 04:42 PM
So if 20% of Macs sold are desktop models, 20% of a large number is still a large number. And 20% itself is not a minuscule percentage. That's my "glass half full", rose-colored glasses perspective.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Apple Fortunes - 08/01/18 07:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Ira L.
So if 20% of Macs sold are desktop models, 20% of a large number is still a large number. And 20% itself is not a minuscule percentage. That's my "glass half full", rose-colored glasses perspective.

Yes that is still a fair number of desktops, but no matter how you spin it that means desktop class Macs accounted for less than 2% of total corporate earnings — while I would be quite satisfied with 2% of Apple's earnings but in Apple's terms that barely rises to the level of noise on the corporate books.

My "Half Full" view is: As usual no specific unit sales numbers numbers were announced, so it is possible Mac sales were unchanged or even up a bit from previous quarters, but the recent rapid growth in Apple's "Services" sector could could be what caused Mac sales to slip below 10% of total earnings. As a stockholder looking only at the bottom line I would have to cry HUZZAH! as that means Apple is developing another highly profitable market area.

As a Mac Fanatic it gives rise to a "Half Empty" concern that Apple may become less willing to put development time, effort, and money into the Mac.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Apple Fortunes - 08/03/18 01:56 AM
Er . . . glass one-fifth full, that is.

smirk
Posted By: grelber Re: Apple Fortunes - 08/03/18 08:58 AM
On the other hand ... speaking of Apple's fortunes ...

Apple Is Worth $1 Trillion, Two Decades After Being Near the Brink of Bankruptcy

Small Band of Firms Dominate the Economy

• Apple’s new $1 trillion valuation highlights how a group of enormous companies has fueled the 9-year bull market.
• But the broader effects of the consolidation of corporate profits are not entirely benign, economists said.

You’d Need Dozens of Major Companies to Match Apple’s Value

This is how Apple’s worth stacks up against other companies and entire industries.
Posted By: alternaut Re: Apple Fortunes - 08/03/18 09:48 PM
Big and impressive as Apple’s valuation currently is, it’s been seen several times before and then some (Go VOC!! cool ), as Time’s Money magazine shows. That said, AFAIAC this doesn’t detract from Apple’s achievement at all, it just puts things in a global historical perspective… tongue
© FineTunedMac