Home
Posted By: ryck Coffee and Longevity - 07/03/18 08:00 PM
I knew it!!!!.... we should be drinking more of it.

This reminds me of a TV item I watched about 30 or 35 years ago. They were interviewing a black lady who was the oldest living person in the U.S. As I recall, she was 111 or 112 years old but, more amazing than her general good health, was her mind....very fast on her mental feet.

They asked the inevitable question: "To what do you owe your long life?" Without batting an eyelash she lifted her left hand, in which was a large mug, and she blurted "Coffee...". Then, just as fast, she raised her right hand in which she clutched a roll-yer-own, saying ".....and smoking."

I think I'll pass on the nicotine but I'm definitely upping the caffeine intake.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Coffee and Longevity - 07/03/18 08:10 PM
I'm glad that my lifestyle has been vindicated. The funeral director will have to pry my coffee cup from my cold, dead hands. I also say, "Death before decaf!" In truth, if I live a long life (and I'm 73), I will attribute it to exercise, diet, coffee, wine and (most importantly), dumb luck.

George Burns said, "If you reach 100, you've got it made. Very few people die past 100." He also was an inveterate cigar smoker. Food for thought...
Posted By: ryck Re: Coffee and Longevity - 07/03/18 10:09 PM
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I'm glad that my lifestyle has been vindicated. The funeral director will have to pry my coffee cup from my cold, dead hands

Both you and me….someone who’s also 73…in a few days.

George Burns said, "If you reach 100, you've got it made. Very few people die past 100.”

George Burns was the epitome of a sharp mind in older age.

When he did the “Sunshine Boys” movie in 1975, he was 80. I recall watching one of the players, Richard Benjamin, on Johnny Carson relating his experience with the “elderly star”. Benjamin said the entire cast came into it thinking it was going to be tough because they’d have to carry the old-timer.

Their worries seemed to be confirmed at the first script reading, where everyone sits in a circle and they read through the script. Benjamin looked over at Burns whose closed script book was on his lap. Benjamin thought: "This guy's so far gone, he doesn't even realize he should have his book open."

However, when they came to the first of Burns’ lines, he recited them….as he did with all of his lines. He had memorized them.

Even more astounding, periodically one of the folks with the books open would lose their place…..and starting hunting for their lines. No problem, Burns helped out by telling them what their lines were. He had memorized the entire script.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Coffee and Longevity - 07/05/18 02:08 PM
I'm glad that my lifestyle has been vindicated. The funeral director will have to pry my coffee cup from my cold, dead hands.

And it'll save on embalming fluid too!
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Coffee and Longevity - 07/06/18 02:27 PM
Would you youngsters please quit bragging? You are making me feel old. smile
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Coffee and Longevity - 07/06/18 02:49 PM
Don't feel old, Joe. To put things in perspective, 10 years ago my wife told me that my age finally passed my IQ. In fact, I have trouble spelling IQ...
© FineTunedMac