Home
Posted By: ryck How do you say "1984" in Chinese? - 01/30/18 03:47 PM
With facial recognition and 170,000,000 CCTV cameras already installed (400,000,000 more are on the way), China is really keeping track of its citizens.

I assume, with cameras at various entry points to the country, they're keeping track of visitors too. Just take a snapshot as they enter and put it in the system.
Posted By: grelber Re: How do you say "1984" in Chinese? - 01/30/18 05:52 PM
Just remember: All Westerners look alike to the Chinese, so your anonymity would be preserved. wink tongue
Posted By: joemikeb Re: How do you say "1984" in Chinese? - 01/30/18 10:02 PM
Well after all, 1984 is the year of the RAT.
Posted By: grelber Re: How do you say "1984" in Chinese? - 01/30/18 11:21 PM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Well after all, 1984 is the year of the RAT.

As was 1948 (which was the year the book was written and which was the 'inspiration' for the title). crazy
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: How do you say "1984" in Chinese? - 03/01/18 02:09 PM
China is just leading the world in terms of government controlling the people. Xi wants to get rid of term limits and become "El Presidente For Life"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/25/world/asia/china-xi-jinping.html

sound familiar? following the playbook of any good dictator...

And of course the chinese censors are hard at work, trying to censor anything that discusses the term limits. Funny one... they are censoring "N". Just "N", not with other letters, just "N" by itself because a lot of chinese are using that as shorthand for "n terms" i.e. "none"

What amazes me is just how shameless they are about this all... you can tell exactly which activities the government there wants to do that they know the public doesn't want them to do just by looking at what they censor. They're just as disinterested in serving the people as any recent democracy.... tongue
© FineTunedMac