Home
Posted By: jchuzi cyber terrorism is here - 10/21/16 05:24 PM
Massive web attacks briefly knock out top sites I noticed it this morning when the NY Times website was down. At the time, I didn't know what was causing it. I also just tried to sign an online petition and the site was down.

Russia? ISIS? Trump?
Posted By: alternaut Re: cyber terrorism is here - 10/21/16 07:44 PM
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
[...] Russia? ISIS? Trump?

At this point in time it’s still a guess, and mine would be ‘none of the above’. Most DDOS attacks are criminal, as in ‘non-political’, and it’s not at all clear how the current attack and the resulting downage fits the interests of the three you list, other than general disruption and its effect on the public opinion, etc.

Some more detail is available in PCWorld's Major DDoS attack on Dyn DN...offline. While Dyn DNS claims to be OK again, many websites using its services are distinctly not. FWIW, I still can’t get any Twitter feeds, among others.
Posted By: grelber Re: cyber terrorism is here - 10/21/16 09:27 PM
Massive web attacks briefly knock out top sites I noticed it this morning when the NY Times website was down. At the time, I didn't know what was causing it. ....

Actually, nytimes.com was offline for a considerable period yesterday early morning. No explanation, but nothing apparently suspicious at the time.
I usually check Is It Down Right Now? — one of the neater checkers — when such things pop up (or down).

Russia? ISIS? Trump?

More likely: Russia = ISIS (Daesh) = Trump.
Posted By: freelance Re: cyber terrorism is here - 10/22/16 07:03 AM
This is a test. This is only a test...

The Register

Posted By: artie505 Re: cyber terrorism is here - 10/22/16 09:16 AM
Does anybody know how to find out if a router's been commandeered?

Mine has an 8 character password including UC, lc, and numbers, but if it's one of a stock comprised of a relatively small number of items it's nowhere near as secure as it looks. confused
Posted By: jchuzi Re: cyber terrorism is here - 10/22/16 10:28 AM
Mirai-based DDoS attack highlights benefits of Apple's secure HomeKit platform
Posted By: grelber Re: cyber terrorism is here - 10/23/16 09:07 AM
Happy with your iPhone and its buddies? Be afraid ... very afraid.

A New Era of Internet Attacks Powered by Everyday Devices

Posted By: joemikeb Re: cyber terrorism is here - 10/23/16 03:46 PM

Well that convinces me, I have at least three or four of "Internet of Things" devices that are not HomeKit enabled. I have to get busy getting them upgraded or replacing them with HomeKit enabled devices.
© FineTunedMac