Home
Posted By: artie505 The fat lady steals the show... - 10/19/16 12:43 AM
Jon's paraphrasing of "It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings" in another thread brought to mind the Blood, Sweat & Tears concert, which I think is worth recounting, that I saw at the Metropolitan Opera House many years ago.

Their second encore was a mystifying song, set to Mozart's Eine Kleine Nacht Musik, about a naked man terrorizing bus drivers, its chorus being "Beware, beware, beware the naked man....", and it was, like... "Huh?"

After a while I became aware that an IMMENSE valkyrie was descending to the stage from "Valhalla", i.e. the rafters, and as she neared the stage she sang a final "Beware the naked man", and the music stopped dead, and the house lights came up instantly.

It was over; the fat lady had sung.

Bravo, BS&T! grin

(My impression of the audience reaction was that the vast majority of the audience had absolutely no idea what they had just seen.)
Posted By: jchuzi Re: The fat lady steals the show... - 10/19/16 12:22 PM
And for those Wagnerians who appreciate satire, watch Anna Russell's scholarly analysis of the Ring cycle.
Posted By: grelber Re: The fat lady steals the show... - 10/19/16 02:10 PM
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
And for those Wagnerians who appreciate satire, watch Anna Russell's scholarly analysis of the Ring cycle.

Indeed. For over a half century Anna Russell's gem has been the benchmark for all such treatments. I first heard (and cherished) it on an LP recording (unfortunately long since lost).
© FineTunedMac