Home
Posted By: jchuzi boycott Yahoo - 10/04/16 09:48 PM
If you have a Yahoo account, you might consider dumping it. Yahoo 'secretly scanned emails for US authorities'
Posted By: ryck Re: boycott Yahoo - 10/04/16 10:28 PM
I don't have a Yahoo account but, if I did, it'd be closed.

From Jimmy Fallon: "A group of Democratic senators sent a letter to Yahoo asking why they took so long to report the hack of 500 million users. That’s how little faith they have in Yahoo email – they sent a letter."
Posted By: grelber Re: boycott Yahoo - 10/05/16 12:55 AM
Why would anyone capable of thought, rational or otherwise, have a Yahoo email account (other than for potentially surreptitious and/or pseudonymous reasons) to begin with?
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: boycott Yahoo - 10/24/16 04:24 PM
Pretty sure the government scans everything, everywhere. Why assume otherwise?

I recently closed down my mailserver, in favor of Rackspace. While I was running that, I had an interesting conversation with my mother. She was saying how thankful she was that she was using my mailserver and her mail was safe in my basement.

So I explained to her that anyone with a warrant has access to her email. Also, it may be a sealed warrant with a gag order on me not being able to tell her that someone read her email. "No, really?" yes, really.

Interestingly, that won't work on ME on my own mailserver in my own house. For that, they need to deal with me directly. If they have a warrant they can still have it of course, but I get to know about it.

The only reason Yahoo makes a bit more news here is they weren't requiring a warrant. The FBI was given a tool that the yahoo admins used for remote access. No oversight, no bueno.

© FineTunedMac