Home
Posted By: Hal Itosis FREEWARE! - 10/29/09 10:45 PM
Building upon this list which we started at MFI: <<Freeware, an exhaustive list>>

I just discovered another text editor previously unbeknownst to me...
Haven't tried it yet, but the website has a professional appearance anyway. wink [plus, it was recommended in an ArsTechnica forum, and they're usually a critical crowd.] It seems to consist of a large amount of python scripts. [one of the other apps i mentioned in the MFI thread called "Editra" also heavily employs python.] The thing is huge... almost 40 megs for the dmg download, and almost 150 megs for the app on disk.

Anyway... into the list it goes.

-HI-
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 10/30/09 02:10 AM
For those who are so inclined, the indie edition of 3D game development suite Unity 2.6 just became free ($1400 Pro edition). laugh
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 10/30/09 03:41 AM
That's pretty amazing.
Posted By: Gregg Re: FREEWARE! - 10/30/09 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis

I just discovered another text editor previously unbeknownst to me... [list][*] Komodo Edit

Did you know about Bean ?
There's also a link to a page of Freeware at the bottom of the Bean info. I steer clear of add-ons, but Bean is a useful stand-alone application. Interestingly, Bean just showed up in my Services menu one day. I think I had recently downloaded something else, can't remember what. I use Bean once in awhile, but I'll be darned if I can find the application on my hard drive! I think I'll download the latest version and see what happens.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 10/30/09 01:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Gregg
Did you know about Bean?

[I hope VersionTracker cleans up their act, because i'm not fond of MacUpdate.]

Okay... yes i knew about Bean, but somehow it never got posted to MFI.  My bad.

Here's an assortment of freeware food:
  • Bean -- rich text editor

• Tofu -- nifty reader (need to try to see why)

• Skim -- pdf reader and note-taker

Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 11/03/09 06:26 AM
Quartz Composition iTunes Visualizers

Back in this post i linked to a couple of quartz-composition-type of iTunes visualizers.

Tonight i ran a search and just discovered >>>this article<<< dated July 2 (day two of my vacation, thereby i totally missed it). There are even two visualizers which only get mentioned in the comments, most notably "Morphyre" -- which comes in 3 flavors: free, per$onal, and profe$$ional.

From the article itself, most interesting (to me anyway) was Cubism, and also amazing are several over at >>wowlab<< -- Dragon being the strangest (almost life-like), Circle (uses too much clock for its simple display, but clever anyway), and Figure.

I only wish iTunes would let us randomize a subset of all installed visualizers... instead of us having to play around with menus to change the scenery. Also, I have yet to find any QC visualizer which make sufficient use of album cover artwork, other than the iVisualize/BeComposed combination (1st link in this post, to the MFI archives).

Once again, it feels good to be *free* of G-Force [and its yearly "subscription" fee].
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 11/06/09 06:15 PM
Not freeware, but free for the time being in MacHeist’s current Nano Bundle. tongue
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 11/07/09 09:00 AM
unpkg is freeware that "[...] unpacks all the files in a package into a folder in the same directory as the package."

Works with .pkg...not with .mpkg.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 11/07/09 10:58 AM
Wonder where your disk/disc space went?

Then maybe OmniDiskSweeper is for you.

I don't recall when it became so, but it is now free.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 11/07/09 05:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Pendragon
I don't recall when it became so, but it is now free.

That announcement was made on February 24, 2009, when OmniWeb, OmniDazzle, and OmniObjectMeter became freeware too. Another Omni freebie is OmniDictionary. Omni lists these apps as a separate group in the left column on their web page.
Posted By: tacit Re: FREEWARE! - 11/10/09 12:38 PM
Just discovered this little gem: a freeware Pref Pane that lets you toggle a long list of undocumented Apple preferences for everything from controlling how Dashboard widgets are displayed to controlling how Spaces works.
Posted By: donikatz Re: FREEWARE! - 11/10/09 02:40 PM
Two days left to download the free nanoBundle from MacHeist.com, which includes six apps.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 11/13/09 03:43 AM
The Lunar Rover Simulator. laugh
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 11/13/09 06:45 AM
Neat! (downloading now to get a closer look).

Which reminds me that Marathon went "free" ages ago, and a few OSX versions have been ported. I never tested any *real* OSX version, simply running in Classic instead (back in Jaguar maybe). I was utterly hooked on the whole Marathon trilogy (starting around 1995?), and its various scenario-spinoffs (Siege of Nor'Korh, Tempus Irae, Rubicon, Marathon RED and Marathon EVIL).

This link should be a good starting point: http://source.bungie.org/get/

[the original developers were lured away from the Mac platform by Micro$$$oft to create Halo for the Xbox.]
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 11/23/09 11:40 PM
Duck
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 11/24/09 05:52 AM
Cute. grin

If we're going that route, i think you'll enjoy "Jared - Butcher of Song".

(i seem to recall in OS9 he would lip-sync as iTunes played music, or did i dream that?)
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 11/24/09 08:54 AM
Doesn't quite make the grade...needs a "mute" option to augment its run/quit behavior.

I envision "Duck" as a great confounder of pets, whereas "Jared" strikes me more as an "Isn't it about time you went home?" app.

> (i seem to recall in OS9 he would lip-sync as iTunes played music, or did i dream that?)

You can select an iTunes song to replace the default song, if thats what you mean. (A built-in algorithm that butchered your selection would make it more appealing to me.)
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 11/24/09 07:40 PM
Originally Posted By: artie505
Doesn't quite make the grade...needs a "mute" option to augment its run/quit behavior.

Um. . . . . . . . . . . nevermind.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 11/26/09 03:52 AM
FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY (until Dec 1st maybe?) FOR FREE
iPhone & iPod touch versions of 1Password Pro (and regular):

1Password Pro
1Password

[Admittedly, there's all manner of free "apps" at the App Store, but 1Password usually goes for $8 (or something), and will soon return to that status.]

edit(#3?): BTW, more general info about 1Password itself is at http://agile.ws/
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 12/11/09 12:29 PM
I recently realized that JARED has an unadvertised feature, i.e. it enables users to switch, albeit one song at a time and with a quit/relaunch required, between iTunes libraries without quitting and relaunching iTunes. (I e-mailed the developers and asked that they facilitate switching.)

I have not searched for other apps that may have the same, but more easily invoked, functionality; is anybody aware of one?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: FREEWARE! - 12/11/09 06:06 PM
Assuming iPhone apps count as well, check out Dragon Dictation for the iPhone. It provides better voice recognition on the iPhone that is far superior to anything I have seen on the Mac and it is FREE. The actual voice to text conversion is done on their servers not on the iPhone itself so if you happen to be running on Edge it can be a tad slow, but with a WiFi connection it is almost instantaneous. A very impressive little app.

Caution: It does capture the names (only the names) from your Contacts to improve voice recognition.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 12/23/09 08:50 PM
The "Lotsa" Screen Savers mentioned (and linked to) in this post have been updated for Snow Leopard. (i could play around with that M.C. Escher one for hours... but LotsaWater makes for a nice saver too).
Posted By: roger Re: FREEWARE! - 12/24/09 01:52 PM
but LotsaWater makes for a nice saver too).

I first grabbed LotsaWater after seeing it running in the SmallDog store, and now I have it on the 20 eMacs in my lab. it drives some of the kids crazy, and they run around hitting the space bar to make it stop...

ah, the little pleasures in life.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 12/24/09 06:28 PM
I like to have LotsaWater fix on this photo: Saab logo. The raindrops on the hood add to the overall effect (well sort of), and the darkness of the image helps with the "screen saver" aspect.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 01/19/10 05:32 PM
HEADS UP!

TextWrangler version 3.1

...in da house my Homies.

Yow, major geekage: Release Notes
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 01/22/10 03:16 PM
Seems i always bump into these gems a little late in the game...

I don't know much about this app yet except:
  • for being freeware, it looks quite brilliant,

• it's incredibly well documented, and...

• unfortunately, discontinued.

Nonetheless, it may still be useful to someone (i'm checking it out myself), and it definitely deserves a place in this thread:

>>>Nifty Box<<<

Follow all links at that site, especially the blog which contains some "support" items to download (a Spotlight importer and an OpenMeta exporter).
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 01/23/10 09:22 AM
It's donationware, not freeware, but I think GrandPerspective deserves a mention because of the unique and beautiful manner in which it presents its results; ...lots of neat themes, too.

(It's working fine for me in !0.5.7 with the exception of the keyboard "Re-scan" command; a bug report has been filed.)

Edit: The grand perspective continues on the developer's "Donations" page which offers options of $5, 10, 20, 50, 100, and 250. grin
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 02/09/10 12:31 AM
SimplifyMedia

DeployStudio
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 02/18/10 12:04 AM
'Easily compose 3D landscapes' with Vue 8 Pioneer.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 03/08/10 07:09 PM
It didn't dawn on me until just now but, i ran into >>a thread at MacNN<< the other day... and so i mention it here and now. I'm not fully clued in on how the whole thing works, so i'll just quote a few items:

Quote:

Take part in the http://FreeMacApps.com Giveaway! 25 apps, over
$1000 of combined worth for two lucky winners @TwistedMac

Contest start & finish
The contest will run for 25days. Starting March 1st, 2010 - March 25th, 2010

The two winners will be randomly selected on March 26th, 2010 and posted. The winners will be contacted to arrange the setup of their new Mac App Bundles.

As a registered MacNN member, all i had to do was post a reply in their thread (1st link in my 1st sentence above). Maybe there are other ways to enter... idunno.

Many
excellent "free" apps, FWIW!!! smile   Check it out.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 03/14/10 09:44 PM
SimplifyMedia (linked to in a previous post) has made "An Important Announcement" on their blog.

Key phrases include:
- no more new downloads,
- time for a new direction,
and
- unable to share our future plans at this time.

This change is fueling speculation that Apple may have acquired same, in preparation for (also rumored) future streaming functionality in the (June?) upgrade of the iPad/iPhone OS (v 4.0)
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 04/21/10 05:34 PM
In an attempt to address rumors of bias in this thread smirk , here's the following announcement:
Paragon HFS for Windows is temporarily free during a 50,000 license giveaway. tongue
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 05/21/10 01:13 AM
SimplifyMedia (linked to in a previous post) has made "An Important Announcement" on their blog.

Key phrases include:
- no more new downloads,
- time for a new direction,
and
- unable to share our future plans at this time.

This change is fueling speculation that Apple may have acquired same, in preparation for (also rumored) future streaming functionality in the (June?) upgrade of the iPad/iPhone OS (v 4.0)

Oh well... so much for speculation: Google buys SimplifyMedia
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 06/13/10 03:21 PM
Permanent Eraser "provides an even stronger level of security by implementing the Gutmann Method.

This utility overwrites your data thirty-five times, scrambles the original file name, and truncates the file size to nothing before Permanent Eraser finally unlinks it from the system. Once your data has been erased, it can no longer be read through traditional means."

Free and works as advertised.

Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 06/13/10 06:26 PM
Once your data has been erased, it can no longer be read through traditional means.

Documentation, please. (Sounds like massive overkill!)

Thanks, Harv.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 06/13/10 07:44 PM
Once your data has been erased, it can no longer be read through traditional means.

Documentation, please. (Sounds like massive overkill!)

Sounds like it's doing the same thing that we can already do in Terminal:

srm -frv /path/to/a/file/or/folder/

Be very careful with that command, making sure the path is 100% correct first (via ls or something), as it does totally nuke data.

From man srm:
Quote:
The -s option overrides the -m option, if both are present. If neither is specified, the 35-pass Gutmann algorithm is used.

Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 06/13/10 07:53 PM
Sounds like it's doing the same thing that we can already do in Terminal

Sounds like Permanent Eraser is a GUI for your Terminal function.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 06/13/10 08:45 PM
Originally Posted By: alternaut
Sounds like it's doing the same thing that we can already do in Terminal

Sounds like Permanent Eraser is a GUI for your Terminal function.

Is that-all the same as Disk Utility's 35-pass erase, but with file-specific capability?
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 06/14/10 03:21 PM
It all makes sense now. wink
[or: that would be my guess]
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 09/24/10 06:27 PM
Not free, but only 99¢: Strata Design 3D SE, a 3D program for "2D designers, students, and hobbyists".
The introductory price includes a two-week subscription to the Strata 3D University.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 09/28/10 04:36 AM
I'm mentioning PhoneDisk (Mount your iPhone or iPod Touch as a real Mac OS X disk.) because...
Quote:
Until September December 1st 2010, we're giving away Phone Disk to everyone for free!

If you unlock the software before that date, you get free upgrades and can enjoy the full version of the software on that computer with no expiration (just make sure you enter the code before December 1st)!

Use the following registration code to unlock the full version Phone Disk:
2H96A-QK7MX-8GEYK1V-ZR6S8
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 11/06/10 09:27 AM
In addition to enabling you to control the volume of "multiple" audio devices from your menu bar...

Quote:
But what happens if you like the IBM Model M style of keyboards, without custom volume keys. Well PTHVolume 2 comes to your rescue, you can set keyboard shortcuts for any and all volume devices.

PTHVolume
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 11/18/10 02:43 PM

OmniWeb 5.10.3

[i've still never tried omniweb]
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 12/03/10 08:30 AM
For the "keyboard-centric," I suggest MenuPop.

"MenuPop...Popup main menu via hotkey.

Features:
Pop up menu at current mouse location using a hotkey
Selectable font size (small to extra large) menu items
Selectable menus to show: Apple menu and Application menu"
"
Posted By: MG2009 NIfty little Calendar/Clock Application - 03/07/11 07:49 AM
Just for fun . . . Try WALLPAPER CLOCK. (Beats the little Apple clock in the menu bar all to pieces!)

http://www.vladstudio.com/wallpaperclock/

laugh
Two potentially useful pieces of freeware appeared at MacUpdate recently (1, 2).

Curiously enough, both require the  App Store and Mac OS 10.6.6:
  1. Calendar

2. CopyPaster

(currently, Calendar's "homepage" appears to be on facebook... and CopyPaster's doesn't even load for me)
I'm most enjoying CopyPaster, thanks!
Glad to hear it harv... i will join in soon enough then. [i was formerly addicted to PTHPasteboard for quite a while, but its last update seemed to kill off the free (slightly crippled, non-"PRO") mode.]

--

As for the calendar situation, it amazes me that Apple itsel has never added a simple (drop-down) month view to the menubar... instead requiring users to launch iCal from the dock. I.e., iCal isn't even offered as a item for that menulet. All we are shown there is:

[the current date in grey]
View as Analog
View as Digital
Date & Time Preferences

mad
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: NIfty little Calendar/Clock Application - 03/21/11 04:49 PM
hmmm an ical menulet.... that's a very good idea. I can't believe no one makes such a beaste? I've recently had to place ical in my dock because I use it often enough. I like to keep my dock (and my desktop) as clean as possible.
There are several iCal-integrated menulets out there (link), almost all shareware... and some of the free ones haven't been updated since Tiger (or Panther perhaps).

P.S. - CopyPaster is working nicely so far. Looks to be well-written (on the surface i mean). I wonder why the author didn't hit us up for a nominal 99 cents (or 3 bucks even).

SIDENOTE: is it still true that Apple doesn't document the menulet interface? (i.e., the Menu Extras on the righthand side of the menubar). I thought that all non-Apple things in that region were deemed "hacks" by definition.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: NIfty little Calendar/Clock Application - 03/21/11 08:50 PM
SIDENOTE: is it still true that Apple doesn't document the menulet interface? (i.e., the Menu Extras on the righthand side of the menubar). I thought that all non-Apple things in that region were deemed "hacks" by definition.

There for awhile non apple menulets needed to be black and white only, only apple's could be color. And I think even now all non apple menulets have to be left of apple's. (and you can't move them as you can with apple's)
Originally Posted By: Virtual1

There for awhile non apple menulets needed to be black and white only, only apple's could be color. And I think even now all non apple menulets have to be left of apple's. (and you can't move them as you can with apple's)

Still see stuff like this everyday in the console messages too:

3/20/11 12:08:35 PM SystemUIServer[125] com.apple.console Warning MenuCracker 2.0 (/Library/PreferencePanes/MenuMeters.prefPane/Contents/Resources/MenuCracker.menu)
See
http://sourceforge.net/projects/menucracker
MenuCracker is now loaded. Ready to accept new menu extras. Ignore the failure message that follows.

3/20/11 12:08:35 PM SystemUIServer[125] com.apple.console Warning failed to instantiate and get the principal class of bundle: NSBundle </Library/PreferencePanes/MenuMeters.prefPane/Contents/Resources/MenuCracker.menu> (loaded)

Posted By: artie505 Re: NIfty little Calendar/Clock Application - 03/21/11 10:30 PM

I don't recall the black & white thing at all, but MenuCracker (as per Hal) still enables the MenuMeters menulets to not only be moved, but to be moved to the right of Apple's, and MagiCal still inserts its menulet just to the left of Spotlight (It can be moved, but only from left of Spotlight to extreme left.), but it needs to restart SystemUIServer to turn the trick.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 03/22/11 05:38 PM
I don't recall the black & white thing at all, but MenuCracker (as per Hal) still enables the MenuMeters menulets to not only be moved, but to be moved to the right of Apple's, and MagiCal still inserts its menulet just to the left of Spotlight (It can be moved, but only from left of Spotlight to extreme left.), but it needs to restart SystemUIServer to turn the trick.

Yes, MenuMeters is movable... but several others i have are not: GeekTool, gfxCardStatus, HoudahSpot and FastScripts (as well as the two which kicked off this subtopic: CopyPaster and Calendar).

Speaking of which, we should certainly add both

<GeekTool>

and

<FastScripts> *

to this list of fantastic freeware. [gfxCardStatus is also good, but limited to Core ix, dual-GPU machines (perhaps only MBPs).]

* the full-feature version of FastScripts is shareware, but it does permit up to ten user scripts FREE before requesting the $15 fee.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 03/24/11 12:29 AM
MG2009's query about downloading the CopyPaster app and its replies has been moved to the Mac OS X 10.6.x as a separate thread.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 03/24/11 09:24 PM
MG2009's query about downloading the CopyPaster app and its replies has been moved to the Mac OS X 10.6.x as a separate thread.

Addendum: and in the interim, CopyPaster has become UNfree. ("c'est la vie")
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 07/01/11 08:21 PM
$5000 game-making software now free. Thinking Worlds 3.5 runs under Windows, but publishes to iOS.

And in a separate offer iOS Spectrum Collection goes freemium for 1 week only.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 07/15/11 10:27 AM
"Rember is a free and easy to use graphical front-end to the command line MemTest tool, it runs memory tests to help determine if you have defective RAM modules installed in a Mac, which could potentially lead to crashes and general system degradation." Preferences include number of loops and Verbose logging.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 07/16/11 06:55 AM
"Rember is a free and easy to use graphical front-end to the command line MemTest tool, it runs memory tests to help determine if you have defective RAM modules installed in a Mac, which could potentially lead to crashes and general system degradation." Preferences include number of loops and Verbose logging.

For the more daring among us... Memtest is included in AppleJack (Donationware) as an optional install.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 08/06/11 08:00 AM
Sessions, Safari Extension that restores your last (or earlier) browsing session(s); it's useful if you restart Safari 5 periodically to deal with its RAM hogging/memory leak.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 09/04/11 12:12 PM
RestoreMeNot precludes, on a selectable case-by-case basis, windows from restoring upon restart (Lion only).

So far, I have found it to work as advertised with no adverse consequence.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 09/30/11 05:36 AM
oldschoogle

"a Firefox and Safari extension to bring back the old look and feel of Google."
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 09/30/11 09:39 AM
Thanks, Artie.

I just installed Oldschoogle, and at first blush, it works as advertised. Kewl!
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 10/01/11 11:57 AM
Lion DiskMaker:

"A small application programmed with AppleScript that you can use with Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7 to burn a DVD or build a bootable USB key from Mac OS X Lion’s Installation program."
Posted By: jchuzi Re: FREEWARE! - 10/01/11 12:52 PM
Or, you can do it yourself by following the instructions in How to create an OS X Lion installation disc.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 11/11/11 12:53 PM
In a bit of discussion with David, the developer of OldSchoogle, I learned that:

The best way to get those pesky side frames to go away using OldSchoogle is to also disable Google Instant at http://www.google.com/preferences. This will set a cookie and tell Google not to use Google Instant and OldSchoogle should work as intended.

OldSchoogle makes its changes to Google's search results page when the page first loads. Google Instant uses javascript/AJAX to dynamically change the content of the page without doing a page load so the OldSchoogle code doesn't get invoked when that happens.

I never was a big fan of Google Instant, so disabling it was no loss and indeed improved (for moi) the performance of OldSchoogle.

Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 11/11/11 01:51 PM
In a bit of discussion with David, the developer of OldSchoogle, I learned that:

The best way to get those pesky side frames to go away using OldSchoogle is to also disable Google Instant at http://www.google.com/preferences. This will set a cookie and tell Google not to use Google Instant and OldSchoogle should work as intended.

OldSchoogle makes its changes to Google's search results page when the page first loads. Google Instant uses javascript/AJAX to dynamically change the content of the page without doing a page load so the OldSchoogle code doesn't get invoked when that happens.

I never was a big fan of Google Instant, so disabling it was no loss and indeed improved (for moi) the performance of OldSchoogle.

Good post, Harv, for both its oldschoogle applicability and its general usefulness to those who've heretofore been unaware of Google prefs. Thanks! smile

(I picked up on Google prefs a few years back and have had Google Instant disabled since whenever, so I wasn't even aware there was an issue.)
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/16/11 04:54 PM
In a holiday promotion Poser Debut (2.25GB download) is free for the next few days.
Posted By: freelance Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/16/11 07:46 PM
In a holiday promotion Poser Debut (2.25GB download) is free for the next few days.

I'm downloading it. Only 6 hours remaining... The last time I tried Poser, I was on OS 8.5.

Thanks for the steer.

(Hmmm... two hours later, it's only 7 hours 19 minutes remaining.)
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 08:43 AM
I just ordered now, 3 1/2 hours after the ending time you posted, and I think I still got the free deal, but I'm not 100% certain, so I'm not d/ling yet.

Turns out that I had an account with SmithMicro that I wasn't aware of and still don't understand, confused , but I was able to guess which of my passwords I used.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 08:45 AM
Thanks for the tip! smile

If I really did get it free (Edit 2: Looks like I did.), I think my daughter's nephew will be a happy kid, and if I didn't... Well, I've never even met him (grinch that I am).

Edit: Actually, I'm giving him my iBook G4 instead of selling it on eBay, so he won't be getting grinched at all.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 09:19 AM
I just found this on SmithMicro's Web site:

Quote:
Poser Debut

List Price: $49.99 Sale Price: $0.00 (ends on Dec 19 2011)
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 01:43 PM
Sale [...] ends on Dec 19, 2011

That's correct. The actual download can be done until Jan. 14, 2012, something that may be necessary due to the slow (10-12 hours) and occasionally problematic download (my first attempt bombed after 2.25GB). Note that there is an optional extended download service (for a small extra charge).
Despite these hiccups it's a great offer, and there may be others in the near future. I'll keep you posted. laugh
Posted By: joemikeb Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 01:52 PM
While it certainly does not beat "free", Poser Debut is available from the App Store for $29.95.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 08:33 PM
Are you certain about that Jan. 14th date?

Originally Posted By: SmithMicro
What is Extended Download Service?
When you purchase downloadable files (purchased and downloaded to your computer), you have 30 days from the date of purchase to download your order.

If you purchase Extended Download Service, we will keep a backup copy of your file available to you for TWO YEARS. Should you need to re-download it for any reason, it will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from the date of purchase.

(The Extended download Service costs $1.68.)
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
While it certainly does not beat "free", Poser Debut is available from the App Store for $29.95.

Is that some sort of special? It costs $49.99 from SmithMicro. (It's listed at $29.99 on MacUpdate, which is apparently incorrect.)
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 09:57 PM
The App Store version of software is frequently cheaper than the version available outside of the App Store (e.g., from the publisher directly), and not necessarily identical. In case of the latter condition, the App Store version tends to lack features.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 10:01 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder whether there's a Web site dedicated to comparing the functionality of App Store apps with that of their developers' self-marketed counterparts?

It sounds like an idea whose time has come if it hasn't already arrived.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 10:02 PM

I can't be sure until I try, but that date is listed on the order confirmation behind the download link as follows:

PoserDebut-MAC.dmg 2 GB (expires: Jan 14 2012)

The way I interpret this is that as long as you order Poser Debut for free before Dec. 19, you have until Jan. 14 to download it.
Posted By: ryck Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 10:06 PM
The actual download can be done until Jan. 14, 2012, something that may be necessary due to the slow (10-12 hours) and occasionally problematic download (my first attempt bombed after 2.25GB). Note that there is an optional extended download service (for a small extra charge).

At my place 18 hours so far and still only half way through. tongue And the time remaining wants to increase...and hour ago it was 15 hours and 12 minutes...now it's 15 hours and 36 minutes to go.

I'm glad I paid the 1.68 for the extended download window. I may have to leave this if it doesn't start picking up speed.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 10:26 PM
I suspect that server capacity is throttling download speeds. My initial attempt lasted over 14 hours at 40KBps max, and failed during the final MBs. My second attempt lasted a bit over 10 hours and after reaching speeds up to 70KBps gradually dropped to 40+KBps. So if things slow down too much, you could try again and hope for a better throughput.

PS, $1.68 is a modest fee, but even without it you would have had until Jan. 14 to complete your download.
Posted By: freelance Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 10:38 PM
I left the computer downloading over night. It was less than halfway complete when I got up the next day. I stopped the download, restarted it and the speed was doubled. Total time: 14 hours.

I installed the application, completed the online registration, then stared at one heckuva learning curve!

Well, if it's free, it's for me. I'll have a go at Poser over the holidays.

Oh! Happy Holidays all!
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 10:46 PM

I can't be sure until I try, but that date is listed on the order confirmation behind the download link as follows:

PoserDebut-MAC.dmg 2 GB (expires: Jan 14 2012)

The way I interpret this is that as long as you order Poser Debut for free before Dec. 19, you have until Jan. 14 to download it.

Hmmm... I dunno.

I don't see your posted date or any other date (other than the Dec. 19th expiry).

You'd think we can rely on the 30 day d/l window as per this.

Interesting, that when you get to Poser Debut via a regular link you find this:
Quote:
Poser Debut - 30 Day Free Trial

List Price: $49.99

Edit: I'm now looking at my order, and I see "(expires: Jan 16 2012)," i.e. 30 days from today, the day I ordered, and presumably changing daily.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 10:54 PM
With my 7Gb DSL I'm d/l'ing at about 350Kbps, and I'm on target, barring the unforeseen, for a bit less than 2 hours.

And a merry, happy to you,too. smile
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 10:58 PM
I don't see your posted date or any other date (other than the Dec. 19th expiry).

The Jan. 14 download deadline is listed on your online order confirmation, NOT in the one you receive by email.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 11:08 PM

The Jan. 14 download deadline is listed on your online order confirmation, NOT in the one you receive by email.

I just edited my post to reflect that...sorta. (I originally responded to your "that date is listed on the order confirmation behind the download link," which I interpreted to be the first screen I got to after clicking on your link.)
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 11:12 PM
You're correct about the 30 day download period. Thanks for bringing that up, as it's more relevant than my personal final download date.
Posted By: ryck Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 11:16 PM
I suspect that server capacity is throttling download speeds. My initial attempt lasted over 14 hours at 40KBps max, and failed during the final MBs. My second attempt lasted a bit over 10 hours and after reaching speeds up to 70KBps gradually dropped to 40+KBps.

With my 7Gb DSL I'm d/l'ing at about 350Kbps, and I'm on target, barring the unforeseen, for a bit less than 2 hours.

I just ran a speed test (at the ISP site) and the results said Download 15.06 Mbps and Upload .39 Mbps.

The time remaining has now increased by an hour (16 hours 26 minutes)

It's interesting that the speed indicated in the download window is 16.6 Kbps.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/17/11 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: ryck
I just ran a speed test (at the ISP site) and the results said Download 15.06 Mbps and Upload .39 Mbps.

As we've discussed before in these forums, the actual download speed you observe is rarely limited by your ISPs specs. Far more often the server you're downloading from sets the rate, possibly 'aided' by local and general network conditions. In my case the highest download speed attained was about 1/4 of my ISP-set maximum, but mostly it was closer to 1/10 of that. At the same time I could download other files at up to 250KBps. Hence my suspicions about the source server.
Posted By: ryck Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/18/11 12:15 AM
As we've discussed before in these forums, the actual download speed you observe is rarely limited by your ISPs specs. Far more often the server you're downloading from sets the rate, possibly 'aided' by local and general network conditions.

Clink! That is the sound of the penny dropping. blush
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/18/11 01:59 AM
> I just ran a speed test (at the ISP site) and the results said Download 15.06 Mbps and Upload .39 Mbps.

Out of curiosity, for what speed Internet service have you contracted?

(By way of comparison, I've contracted for 7Gb service, speed tests show a consistent 6.45Mb/sec, and my max d/l speed is about 785Kbps.)
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/18/11 02:06 AM
Originally Posted By: ryck

As we've discussed before in these forums, the actual download speed you observe is rarely limited by your ISPs specs. Far more often the server you're downloading from sets the rate, possibly 'aided' by local and general network conditions. In my case the highest download speed attained was about 1/4 of my ISP-set maximum, but mostly it was closer to 1/10 of that. At the same time I could download other files at up to 250KBps. Hence my suspicions about the source server.

I fully agree with you that the source server "governs," or at least rules the day.

When I quote my top speed (785Kbps), it's based on my benchmark 10.6.8 Combo d/l, which I use on the assumption that Apple's servers are up to all tasks. (In my experience, Microsoft's servers are also pretty good.) As I said, though, the best I did with Poser was 350Kbps, and any number of other d/l's don't approach even that and are frequently considerably slower.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/18/11 02:19 AM
This post by ganbustein puts our numbers into perspective.
Posted By: ryck Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/18/11 06:37 AM
Out of curiosity, for what speed Internet service have you contracted?

The basics for my service are: up to 7.5 Mbps download speed, up to 512 Kbps upload speed and 125 GB monthly transfer limit, all of which are more than sufficient for anything I ever need. The key words in the speeds are, or course, "up to" as a lesser figure is still technically "up to" the contracted speed.

I have seen/heard reports that some ISPs take advantage of the technicality in the language although I have to admit I don't recall ever having any problems and, as you can see from today's earlier figures, I may even exceed the contracted speed.

I just re-ran their test and the numbers were Download 16.84 Mbps and Upload .38 Mbps.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/18/11 09:20 AM
I see why your d/l was taking so long... The slower the service, the longer the d/l, and, of course, the longer the d/l, the more chance for glitches to make it even longer. Shades of, but not quite, grelber.

> The basics for my service are: up to 7.5 Mbps download speed, up to 512 Kbps upload speed

> I just re-ran their test and the numbers were Download 16.84 Mbps and Upload .38 Mbps.

Something sounds odd in those numbers; the 7.5 and 16.84 don't jive. (7.5 s/b 750, maybe?)
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/18/11 10:15 AM
On the second attempt and 3+ hours, success.

Should anyone desire, I can try sending the file to you via iChat or Skype. If interested in such, contact me at (pndrgnsvc<<at>>aol<<dot>>com). And please put Poser in the subject line. I don't know how well a transfer of this size will work, but perhaps it's worth a try.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/18/11 10:28 AM
On the second attempt and 3+ hours, success.

Should you desire, I can try sending the file to you via iChat or Skype. If interested in such, contact me at (pndrgnsvc<<at>>aol<<dot>>com). And please put Poser in the subject line. I don't know how well a transfer of this size will work, but perhaps it's worth a try.

Many thanks for your kind offer, Harv, but it's ryck who may need to take advantage of it. (Unless your upload speed approaches miraculous, though, won't it take an enormous amount of time to accomplish? Edit: And ryck will still have to deal with his slow d/l speed, anyhow, I assume.)

I guess I got lucky... First try and a bit under two hours. smile
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/18/11 11:49 AM

Quote:
(By way of comparison, I've contracted for 7Gb service, speed tests show a consistent 6.45Mb/sec, and my max d/l speed is about 785Kbps.)

Just so I can be sure I'm not missing something obvious...are you really saying that
  1. you've contracted for a download speed of 7 gigabits per second?
  2. your maximum download speed in practice is 785 kilobits per second?
My internet service is 750 Kbps (that's 750 kilobits per second), and my maximum sustained download speeds are typically about 80-90 KBps (that's kilobytes per second), which figures out to be an actual speed of around 680 Kbps (kilobits per second) of data transfer.

Hard to believe I'm getting download speeds that rival yours with service that's 9,000 times slower. laugh
Posted By: ryck Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/18/11 04:24 PM
> The basics for my service are: up to 7.5 Mbps download speed, up to 512 Kbps upload speed

> I just re-ran their test and the numbers were Download 16.84 Mbps and Upload .38 Mbps.

Something sounds odd in those numbers; the 7.5 and 16.84 don't jive. (7.5 s/b 750, maybe?)

Nope. The test numbers are correct and I went to the ISP to double-check what is offered for the service I purchase (They have about 6 levels) and it's correct. The download page showed a coloured band indicating my service and a graphical line showing actual download speed. The line was above the coloured band. Maybe they're doing this as some sort of promotion.
Posted By: ryck Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/19/11 07:06 AM
Should anyone desire, I can try sending the file to you via iChat or Skype........And please put Poser in the subject line.

Thanks for a generous offer but I disconnected at the point it appeared the download was going to conclude somewhere around June and, after a few hours, tried again. I must have found the same connection as Artie because it was all over in about two hours.

The whole saga has been quite a poser. laugh
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/20/11 05:59 AM
Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Quote:

Just so I can be sure I'm not missing something obvious...are you really saying that
  1. you've contracted for a download speed of 7 gigabits per second?
  2. your maximum download speed in practice is 785 kilobits per second?
My internet service is 750 Kbps (that's 750 kilobits per second), and my maximum sustained download speeds are typically about 80-90 KBps (that's kilobytes per second), which figures out to be an actual speed of around 680 Kbps (kilobits per second) of data transfer.

Hard to believe I'm getting download speeds that rival yours with service that's 9,000 times slower. laugh

Good catch!

I stand corrected... I just checked and realized that I've actually contracted for 7Mbps service. Oops! (Wishful thinking, I guess.) blush

So it looks like our experiences are actually in line with each other. (My d/l speed, as reported by Safari is bytes, not bits as you posted, possibly as a result of some mis-statement on my part for which I apologize. [I think I've finally got the bits/bytes thing down pat.])
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/20/11 06:01 PM
I typically take kilobits per second and divide by 9 (not 8) for a realistic megabytes per second estimate.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/20/11 09:02 PM

That would be voodoo math to the extreme. Most folks divide kilobits per second by 9 to calculate a realistic KILObytes per second estimate.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/22/11 08:35 PM

That would be voodoo math to the extreme. Most folks divide kilobits per second by 9 to calculate a realistic KILObytes per second estimate.

Whoops. ya, do what I mean, not what I say
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 12/28/11 09:37 PM
Version 10 of the (free but limited) Personal Learning Edition of landscape and scenery software Vue is available.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 01/10/12 12:34 PM
It ain't pretty, and it takes too many clicks and too much time to get the job done, but it is free: Get_Path

I've got it installed in my Finder toolbar.

(Tested in Snow Leopard)
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 01/10/12 03:41 PM
If you prefer contextual services (or contextual menus in older Mac OS X versions), try HsoiContextualServices (Snow Leopard) or Hsoi’s Shop CMPlugins (Leopard and earlier) for file paths and several related options. Downloads on this page.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 01/10/12 04:30 PM
If you prefer contextual services (or contextual menus in older Mac OS X versions), try HsoiContextualServices (Snow Leopard) or Hsoi’s Shop CMPlugins (Leopard and earlier) for file paths and several related options. Downloads on this page.

Thanks; I do prefer contextual items, and I've already dl'ed and failed with Hsoi, but your post has taught me that I had the wrong version...will try again.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 01/13/12 09:59 AM
I prefer Hsoi to Get_Path, but I'll never understand apps that think they need to run an installer package to get a single item into /Apps.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 01/13/12 03:47 PM
just fixing the thread's title. crazy
[someone added “(RAM Test)” to it]

Posted By: Virtual1 Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test) - 01/16/12 05:29 PM
I prefer Hsoi to Get_Path, but I'll never understand apps that think they need to run an installer package to get a single item into /Apps.

Following the standard, don't knock it, it's a good thing. Only admins can write to /Applications now I think anyway. Less chance of the installation process breaking if Apple decides to tweak something.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 01/16/12 10:33 PM
<ahem>
just fixing the thread's title. crazy
[someone added “(RAM Test)” to it]
mad
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 01/21/12 02:01 PM
For those of you who missed it, the original Mac Marathon game series was updated for Mac OS X with the Aleph One (v1.0) game engine December 1, 2011 (Download). For the older stuff, go HERE. tongue

PS to Hal: with 46 post titles with the 'RAM Test' addition and 9 with another, there is a better than 50% chance that a new reply has an 'inflated' title if one assumes (likely incorrectly) that any post has the same chance to get replied to. You want them all fixed? shocked smirk
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 01/23/12 01:20 AM
For those of you who missed it, the original Mac Marathon game series was updated for Mac OS X with the Aleph One (v1.0) game engine December 1, 2011 (Download).

molto grazie

You want them all fixed? shocked smirk

All? Heavens no... that would be overkill.
Just the ones not pertaining to 'ram test'. L grin L
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: FREEWARE! - 01/23/12 08:52 PM
For those of you who missed it, the original Mac Marathon game series was updated for Mac OS X with the Aleph One (v1.0) game engine December 1, 2011 (Download). For the older stuff, go HERE. tongue

That game has the distinction of having been the only game I've ever played to almost send me falling out of my chair in the first two minutes of play. The ambient sounds are perfect for mood setting.

"What the $#@! was THAT?"
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 01/24/12 02:55 AM
That game has the distinction of having been the only game I've ever played to almost send me falling out of my chair in the first two minutes of play. The ambient sounds are perfect for mood setting.

Full agreement here. I was hooked in the first minute... and increasingly hopelessly more so, the further i progressed. Spent many a miserable (cold weather) winter weekend on my Quadra 630 carefully going through all those levels... even the hidden ones we had to search for (i.e., undocumented and not requisite to finish the game).The clever mix of story-telling and puzzle-solving (plus those creepy creatures) was incredibly intriguing.

Games today (e.g., Rage or infinity Blade) don't even come anywhere close, despite superior graphics. [perhaps Dead Space is one game attempting to clone the marathon tradition... but idunno since i haven't tried it yet.]

[btw, i happen to know that ganbustein is another fellow marathon fanatic... but he doesn't unlurk here in the lounge that often.]
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 01/26/12 07:24 AM
Hide Images (Edit: is an extension that) places a button in your Safari toolbar; it does precisely what its name suggests.

I find it useful when I navigate to one-time Web sites that I don't want to configure with AdBlock.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 02/17/12 02:03 AM
haven't tried this (enhanced address book) as yet, but i did just download and install. It appears to be free, but sometimes "betas" can turn out to be bait...

http://www.cobookapp.com/
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/17/12 02:23 AM
haven't tried this (enhanced address book) as yet, but i did just download and install. It appears to be free, but sometimes "betas" can turn out to be bait...

http://www.cobookapp.com/

I like it a lot at first glance, but...

First negative is that it doesn't replace the quirky, unintuitive, buggy (in Snow Leopard, anyhow) Address Book pane that appears when you click the "Address" icon in a new e-mail.

Edits:

Oops! I just discovered that it's got an "Email All" command under the work wheel.

In syncing with Address Book, it doesn't pick up my "Custom" phone # labels.

It didn't pick up my preferred e-mail address pref for my daughter, but I managed to reorder her addresses...once...can't figure out how to do it a second time. (Got it... I had to quit and relaunch.)

Time to contact the developer.

Looks like a promising app (particularly since Lion's Address Book seems prone to negative press; I wonder what it'll cost? (If it's reasonable, I'll spring.)
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/18/12 06:01 AM
ImageShack® - Uploader for your free image hosting needs:

Quote:
The Imageshack Bulk Uploader is a simple standalone application for uploading one or more image and video files to Imageshack. Users can upload to their account or anonymously.

Windows haters can rejoice: Version 2.2.0 is a cross-platform tool, supporting Windows, Mac, and Linux.

It works in Snow Leopard... Logs you in almost instantaneously when you launch it, uploads quickly via drag 'n' drop, and shows you thumbnails before and after upload.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 02/18/12 04:20 PM
ImageShack® - Uploader for your free image hosting needs:

The Imageshack Bulk Uploader is a simple standalone application for uploading one or more image and video files to Imageshack. Users can upload to their account or anonymously. Windows haters can rejoice: Version 2.2.0 is a cross-platform tool, supporting Windows, Mac, and Linux.

It works in Snow Leopard... Logs you in almost instantaneously when you launch it, uploads quickly via drag 'n' drop, and shows you thumbnails before and after upload.

I don't upload to Imageshack, but i have viewed and downloaded files from there... and i think they enforce a per/file size restriction or something.

Anyway, reading that post made me realize that we haven't included Dropbox here (great for images and much much much much more):

Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/

Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/18/12 11:13 PM
> I don't upload to Imageshack, but i have viewed and downloaded files from there... and i think they enforce a per/file size restriction or something.

Originally Posted By: ImageShack
How many files can I upload?

You can upload up to 500 files into your account. Anything over that number will expire by first of each month. Unlimited storage is available for Premium users. Subscription plans start at $2/month.

Are there any size restrictions for uploading files?

Each image you upload must be less than 5 megabytes in size, 10 megabytes for premium users. If it is greater than that amount, your image will be optimized for the Internet use. Video files must be less than 15 minutes or they will be trimmed after uploading. Gif files are restricted to only the first frame. In order to upload animated gifs, ou must be a Premium user.

Edit: You can also upload anonymously, which implies unlimited, which is great for purposes such as FTM posts, but you can't delete anonymous images or take advantage of assorted other (free) registered members' services.

All in all, though, ImageShack is great for minimal users. (I used another service before IS, Photobucket, I think, and I didn't like it at all.)

Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 02/19/12 01:44 AM
Forgot to mention, Dropbox also comes in iOS flavors... so having easy access while mobile is quite handy. And many other iOS apps have Dropbox saving/syncing built right in.

EDIT/ and the Mac OS version is nicely integrated into Finder: menu extra, contextual menu item as well as a special toolbar menu.

I think the only limit on (free) Dropbox is the 2 gigabyte max. To go beyond that they start to charge.

EDIT/ I also like how dropbox.com is using https (secure http), and Ghostery shows no sign of web beacons there (whereas imageshack has a couple). All in all, no one needs both... and the best choice is clear (imo).
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/19/12 02:40 AM
Forgot to mention, Dropbox also comes in iOS flavors... so having easy access while mobile is quite handy. And many other iOS apps have Dropbox saving/syncing built right in.

EDIT/ and the Mac OS version is nicely integrated into Finder: menu extra, contextual menu item as well as a special toolbar menu.

I think the only limit on (free) Dropbox is the 2 gigabyte max. To go beyond that they start to charge.

EDIT/ I also like how dropbox.com is using https (secure http), and Ghostery shows no sign of web beacons there (whereas imageshack has a couple). All in all, no one needs both... and the best choice is clear (imo).

Originally Posted By: Dropbox
Dropbox is an application that creates a special Finder folder that automatically syncs online and between your computers. It allows you to both backup files and keep them up-to-date between systems.

Clarification, please... The above does not give me the impression that Dropbox allows you to link to stored images for, by way of example, FTM posting. If so, both Dropbox and ImageShack may be necessary.

Edit: But I do agree with you about the relative security and goblin-free aspects of D an IS.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: FREEWARE! - 02/19/12 02:50 AM

Quote:
The above does not give me the impression that Dropbox allows you to link to stored images for, by way of example, FTM posting.

Well, we need to change that impression , then. wink
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/19/12 03:05 AM

Quote:
The above does not give me the impression that Dropbox allows you to link to stored images for, by way of example, FTM posting.

Thanks... That's not made apparent on either MacUpdate or the Dropbox Web site.

I guess it is a no-contest/brainer, then.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: FREEWARE! - 02/19/12 03:18 AM

Well, you have to dig at least a page deep:

Dropbox - Features
Dropbox - Tour
Dropbox - Help.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 02/19/12 04:01 AM
here's another example of a page using Dropbox for imagery:
http://webpolicy.org/2012/02/17/safari-trackers/
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/19/12 06:20 AM
Well, you have to dig at least a page deep:

Dropbox - Features
Dropbox - Tour
Dropbox - Help.

Again, thanks.

The page to which MacUpdate links displays an assortment of d/l links, a video (Sorry...I'm a reader, not a watcher.), and a log-in link, but there's nary an info link to be found; I first saw links to "Tour" and "Help Center" after my d/l had begun (a coupl'a minutes ago), and I still haven't found a link to "Features."

A bit obscure, I'd say.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/19/12 06:24 AM
here's another example of a page using Dropbox for imagery:
http://webpolicy.org/2012/02/17/safari-trackers/

dk's link pointed to a page with a Dropbox URL, whereas yours does not...another aspect of the app's functionality that I guess I'll have to pick up on.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/19/12 06:41 AM
Quote:

At the cost of both leaving me with a worse impression and compromising Hal's "secure and 'no goblins'" evaluation...

I just noticed that my personal URL (Yeah! I think this most definitely calls for extreme emphasis.) is displayed in your Dropbox hosted image (so I'll very much appreciate your removing the link)!

What else...? frown mad

Edit: By way of comparison, this Image Shack hosted image does not display your URL.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: FREEWARE! - 02/19/12 10:53 AM

Your personal URL—or what most folks know as an IP address—was captured in my screenshot because every post's IP address is logged by the FTM software and displayed alongside the post to all admins and mods.

This is standard practice for bulletin board systems, aka internet forums, and has nothing whatsoever to do with dropbox. (How could it? It's a screenshot, fer cryin' out loud!)

Nevertheless, my failure to notice that your IP address was included in my screenshot was a careless oversight on my part. I apologize for the error and am on my way to redact it forthwith. Edit: now redacted.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 02/19/12 04:43 PM
dk's link pointed to a page with a Dropbox URL, whereas yours does not...another aspect of the app's functionality that I guess I'll have to pick up on.

Nothing to do with the app or its functionality. I merely linked to a web page whose images are hosted on dropbox.com (just mouse over any graphic there and look at Safari's status bar [at the bottom], to see from whence it comes).
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: FREEWARE! - 02/19/12 07:41 PM
The page to which MacUpdate links displays an assortment of d/l links, a video (Sorry...I'm a reader, not a watcher.), and a log-in link, but there's nary an info link to be found; I first saw links to "Tour" and "Help Center" after my d/l had begun (a coupl'a minutes ago), and I still haven't found a link to "Features."

A bit obscure, I'd say.

Oh, yes, very obscure: you must scroll down an inch or two to find such a "Features" link. laugh
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/21/12 11:05 AM
Your personal URL—or what most folks know as an IP address—was captured in my screenshot because every post's IP address is logged by the FTM software and displayed alongside the post to all admins and mods.

This is standard practice for bulletin board systems, aka internet forums, and has nothing whatsoever to do with dropbox. (How could it? It's a screenshot, fer cryin' out loud!)

Nevertheless, my failure to notice that your IP address was included in my screenshot was a careless oversight on my part. I apologize for the error and am on my way to redact it forthwith. Edit: now redacted.

Yeah... Sure... Thanks.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/21/12 11:08 AM

Nothing to do with the app or its functionality. I merely linked to a web page whose images are hosted on dropbox.com (just mouse over any graphic there and look at Safari's status bar [at the bottom], to see from whence it comes).

That wasn't clear to me; thanks.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/21/12 11:12 AM

A bit obscure, I'd say.

Oh, yes, very obscure: you must scroll down an inch or two to find such a "Features" link. laugh

shocked Ya got me on that one! blush
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/22/12 10:11 AM
An interesting page from Marcel Bresink's Web site.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/22/12 05:04 PM
heh, that link definitely is on the attack against the app store. surprised they didn't say it eats babies or something...
Posted By: tacit Re: FREEWARE! - 02/22/12 05:45 PM
Yeah, it does seem as though someone whizzed in his Wheaties.

I've never had an app approved by Apple--in fact, my most popular app could *never* be approved by Apple--and I still don't understand the vitriol directed at the App Store.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/22/12 10:00 PM
> [...] and I still don't understand the vitriol directed at the App Store.

Perhaps somebody's looking to the future as fearfully as I am.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 02/29/12 08:15 AM
This one's courtesy of Hal...

Originally Posted By: XtraFinder (beta)
XtraFinder brings extra features to Mac Finder, such as:
Arrange folders on top.
Maximize on Zoom.
Automatically arrange items by Name in Icons View.
"Copy Path" menu.
"Show Hidden Items", "Refresh"... actions.
And more to come.

This is a 0.1 beta (OS X 10.6.6 and up) from a new developer, it looks like it's going to be a gem, and I don't expect it to stay free.

At the moment, a "Folders on top" sort only holds for about 10 seconds, so if that's what you're looking for, be warned. ("Show Hidden Items" works in a flash...without quitting Finder.)
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 03/04/12 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Hal
I also like how dropbox.com is using https (secure http), and Ghostery shows no sign of web beacons there (whereas imageshack has a couple). All in all, no one needs both... and the best choice is clear (imo).

I've posted this at Ghostery, and it may deserve its own thread, but please take a gander at this and tell me what you think. (For the benefit of all, _u cookies are placed by Google Analytics, one of the "bugs" I've got Ghostery set to block. ("Blocking all bugs.")

(And while I'm revisiting the subject, I'll mention that unless I've missed something, a major advantage that ImageShackUploader offers over Dropbox is an immediate set of links on my desktop when I upload an image, whereas as far as I can tell, I've got to visit dropbox.com to link to images uploaded there.)
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 03/04/12 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Ghostery
Alexei, an employee of Ghostery, replied to Google Analytics - 1 / Ghostery - 0?, a question about Ghostery.

Safari's blocking mechanism has several problems that result in blocking not being applied properly, which can lead to cookies. These problems have been reported to Apple.

In this particular case, dropbox.com has a custom script that dynamically creates Google Analytics tracking images in a way that Safari's "beforeload"-based interception cannot catch.

I recommend telling Safari to reject all third-party cookies, which should help with the cookie aspect of the issue.

and

Ghostery for Safari is a Safari extension, which means Ghostery depends on facilities that Safari provides to extensions.

Safari's way of intercepting and blocking requests for extensions (the "beforeload" listener coupled with a "canLoad" tester function) has several known deficiencies, this being one of them.

Until Apple provides better blocking facilities, Ghostery for Safari will remain limited in several ways.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: FREEWARE! - 03/05/12 12:39 AM

Quote:
...unless I've missed something, a major advantage that ImageShackUploader offers over Dropbox is an immediate set of links on my desktop when I upload an image...

Don't know if I'd call that a major advantage, but in any case, to view Dropbox as a mere image-hosting service is to overlook most of its functionality. Recall the manner in which Hal introduced Dropbox into the thread:

Anyway, reading that post made me realize that we haven't included Dropbox here (great for images and much much much much more)...

That much much much much more includes 2 GB of free storage, the ability to share all kinds of files (not just images), the ability to access files from multiple devices/platforms, the ability to sync files transparently between devices, and the ability to back up selected items from your local device to "the cloud" transparently (i.e. by simply choosing in advance what folders you want to keep backed up).

Basically, it's like a modern version of the iDisk, except it works, and it costs $99 less than Mac.com/me.com.

(Note: I don't imagine you have the slightest interest in storing your data on someone else's servers, which sentiment I fully understand, but since many Mac users have a different approach to such things, it's worth making the distinction between the ImageShack one-trick pony and the Dropbox circus.)
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 03/05/12 05:03 PM
And while I'm revisiting the subject, I'll mention that unless I've missed something, a major advantage that ImageShackUploader offers over Dropbox is an immediate set of links on my desktop when I upload an image, whereas as far as I can tell, I've got to visit dropbox.com to link to images uploaded there.

You've missed something: the contextual-menu will give us a link right in Finder. I never visit dropbox.com for anything (anymore).

With regards to the cookie situation, thanks for the great sleuthing. As mentioned however, visiting dropbox.com directly is virtually unnecessary.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 03/06/12 07:47 AM
Quote:
...unless I've missed something, a major advantage that ImageShackUploader offers over Dropbox is an immediate set of links on my desktop when I upload an image...

Don't know if I'd call that a major advantage, but in any case, to view Dropbox as a mere image-hosting service is to overlook most of its functionality. Recall the manner in which Hal introduced Dropbox into the thread:

Anyway, reading that post made me realize that we haven't included Dropbox here (great for images and much much much much more)...

That much much much much more includes 2 GB of free storage, the ability to share all kinds of files (not just images), the ability to access files from multiple devices/platforms, the ability to sync files transparently between devices, and the ability to back up selected items from your local device to "the cloud" transparently (i.e. by simply choosing in advance what folders you want to keep backed up).

Basically, it's like a modern version of the iDisk, except it works, and it costs $99 less than Mac.com/me.com.

(Note: I don't imagine you have the slightest interest in storing your data on someone else's servers, which sentiment I fully understand, but since many Mac users have a different approach to such things, it's worth making the distinction between the ImageShack one-trick pony and the Dropbox circus.)

Thanks for all that, but it's not only old hat, it's got absolutely zero bearing on my purely subjective observation about a single aspect of Dropbox's functionality.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 03/06/12 08:27 AM
And while I'm revisiting the subject, I'll mention that unless I've missed something, a major advantage that ImageShackUploader offers over Dropbox is an immediate set of links on my desktop when I upload an image, whereas as far as I can tell, I've got to visit dropbox.com to link to images uploaded there.

You've missed something: the contextual-menu will give us a link right in Finder. I never visit dropbox.com for anything (anymore).

With regards to the cookie situation, thanks for the great sleuthing. As mentioned however, visiting dropbox.com directly is virtually unnecessary.

And therein lies the rub...

Per /Users/artie/Dropbox/Public/How to use the Public folder.txt:

Quote:
The Public folder lets you easily share single files in your Dropbox. Any file you put in this folder gets its own Internet link that you can share with others -- even non-Dropbox users!

Step 1: Drop a file into the Public folder.

Step 2: Right-click this file, then choose Dropbox > Copy Public Link. This copies an Internet link to your file that you can paste anywhere: emails, instant messages, blogs, etc.

But this is what a right-click generates. (I only get the "Copy public link" option at dropbox.com, thereby my "Unless....")

I keep Dropbox in a non-standard location, but even moving it to /Apps or /Apps/Utils doesn't change anything.

Is what I'm doing incorrectly apparent to you?

And as for the cookie situation... You ain't seen nothin' yet! (My long-awaited and eagerly anticipated tongue thread is close to publication.)
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: FREEWARE! - 03/06/12 12:51 PM

Quote:
...absolutely zero bearing on my purely subjective observation about a single aspect of Dropbox's functionality.

Of course, your purely subjective observation about a single aspect of an app with much wider functionality—in a thread whose purpose is to provide a list of useful applications (hence the title "FREEWARE!," not "artie's subjective analysis of a single aspect of a particular piece of FREEWARE!")—on a forum site whose overall purpose is surely as much to provide a resource to the rest of the Mac world as it is to provide an outlet for your every nuanced thought—doesn't have a much bearing on my post, which post simply sought to remind the readership at large that Dropbox was added to this thread not because of its dubious usefulness as a means for you to post screenshots with the minimum possible effort, but because it's a useful piece of freeware.

Really, this entire discussion, as is so often the case when you're involved, belongs elsewhere.

[Off-topic comment about use of the Quote feature removed in favor of a thread in FineTunedMac Feedback.]
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 03/06/12 05:11 PM
Is what I'm doing incorrectly apparent to you?

No... but it probably is to you.

Was the Dropbox app up and running (and was your Mac connected to the Internet) when you took that screenshot???

Right below "Open With..." should be a Dropbox submenu.

Try reinstalling, and don't move any Dropbox items to non-standard locations.

[ how did "FREEWARE!" evolve into a troubleshooting thread? ]

Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 03/06/12 07:41 PM
[ how did "FREEWARE!" evolve into a troubleshooting thread? ]

With hindsight that started towards the end of the previous page (i.e., p5, in 25 posts/page view), but by now it's virtually impossible to extract these troubleshooting posts to a new thread, due to the few interspersed post that stayed on topic. frown
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 03/06/12 08:04 PM
new version released minutes ago: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28731/dropbox
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 03/07/12 06:58 AM
Of course, [...] freeware.

A timely, succinct, pointed post (in the manner of cyn) is far more likely to make an impression.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 03/08/12 07:18 PM
i used to use this for launching apps, although it can do much much more:
  • Quicksilver
    A unified, extensible interface for working with applications, contacts, music, and other data.

It has more flexibility than Spotlight for app-launching. For example it can quickly be "taught" to launch Photoshop when we type ps, or Disk Utility by typing du.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 03/08/12 07:40 PM
This i'm using now (an' lovin' it). Another tool originaly by the creator of Quicksilver, this plug-in enhancement for Terminal.app was formerly called Visor:
  • TotalTerminal
    a systemwide terminal window accessible via a hotkey, much like the consoles found in games such as Quake.

To maximize its coolness factor: throw in a background animation, by using a quartz composition. Some nice (as well as free) examples are available for download from a page by Futurismo Zugakousaku. (i like 'Fish Crowd' and 'Particle Fish' the most)
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 03/10/12 03:38 AM
Not quite as feature-rich or up-to-date as its 3-dollar big brother (a full menulet/app), but this freebie widget is still kinda slick:
  • QuickCal Widget
    quickly create iCal calendar events using natural language expression.

[widget probably won't ever get updated again, but it works fine on my Snow Leopard.]
Posted By: tacit Re: FREEWARE! - 03/10/12 10:11 PM
Total Terminal is quite slick; thanks for that! I have it installed and I'm quite loving it.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: FREEWARE! - 03/11/12 02:38 AM
here's its GitHub link: https://github.com/binaryage/totalterminal

edit-1/ btw, if anyone is experiencing the "extra window on startup" phenomenon, there is a <thread> which suggests tweaking the prefs by setting an undocumented parameter:

defaults write com.apple.Terminal TotalTerminalCloseWindowsOnStart -bool YES

[works for me]

edit-2/ in other news, there is a different/similar piece of shareware that simulates vintage cathode-ray tube monitors and various terminal screens which existed in bygone days:
It will work okay for free as well, but... the effects increase with time, and eventually get beyond annoying [curvature, scan-lines and "distress" (e.g., jitter, flicker, noise, horizontal-sync, etc).] It intentionally goes uncontrollably wild, until the $10 shareware fee is paid. (or we relaunch the app)

I dig Cathode too... but all those effects do take their toll, and it runs using around 30% CPU average (on my Core i7 MBP). That, plus the $10 price tag has given me pause thus far. If they can cut the CPU load in half (e.g., TotalTerminal only uses about 10% while running a quartz animation), then i might take the plunge.

(c;
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 04/15/12 02:19 PM
Broomstick

"Broomstick can currently hide the following apps: Air Video Server, Avira, Boom, Caffeine, Chronicle Mini, ChronoSync, Click.to, CrashPlan, Dimmer, DropCopy, Dropbox, Droplr, Flutter, Flux, FullControlHelper, Garmin ANT Agent, GrabBox, GrabBox2, GrowlTunes, Hiss, iTeleport Connect, Kuvva, LogMeIn, Memeo Backup, MiddleClick, MuteCon, Nocturne, NoSleepHelper, OpenDNS Updater, PleaseSleep, PuntoSwitcher, Quiet Read, RemotelessHelper, Seamless, SnagIt, Spotlight, ToDoHelper, Wakoopa Tracker, Wallpaper Clocks.

If menubar clutter or real-estate is an issue, then this free app may be worth a go.

If you would like to request another app be able to be hidden, then this can be done from within Broomstick."

AFAIK, it works as advertised. And, FWIW, I asked that a couple of my menubar icon be included and it was done within a few days.

If Menubar clutter or real estate is an issue, then this free app may be worth a go-

[url=][/url] [url=http://www.zibity.com/broomstick]Broomstick[/url]
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 04/15/12 10:53 PM
I've been beta-testing Broomstick, Harv, and v 0.9 (to which you linked), in my opinion, anyhow, shouldn't have been released (particularly, prior to my reporting the results of my testing).

(Have you actually been able to hide the listed apps' icons? I'm running NoSleepHelper and DNSCrypt, but the only item I'm offered for hiding is Spotlight.)

Edit: I don't want to get involved with details...just want to know if you're experience is the same as mine.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 04/16/12 09:13 AM
I've been beta-testing Broomstick, Harv, and v 0.9 (to which you linked), in my opinion, anyhow, shouldn't have been released (particularly, prior to my reporting the results of my testing).

(Have you actually been able to hide the listed apps' icons? I'm running NoSleepHelper and DNSCrypt, but the only item I'm offered for hiding is Spotlight.)

Edit: I don't want to get involved with details...just want to know if you're experience is the same as mine.

My experience has been quite positive. I easily & successfully hid Boom and Dimmer with no (known) adverse consequence.

I have not yet tried to reorder the login sequence.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 04/18/12 06:43 PM
Re: Broomstick.

Today, I noticed that after a restart, there were blank spaces where the hidden icons would normally be present. Humm…

So I then re-hid the the otherwise hidden icons and all was put to right.

Perhaps this can be resolved by reestablishing the launch order.

Also, I noticed that I can click in the blank area adjacent to the displayed icons and the drop down menu from the hidden icons will appear.

I like the concept of Broomstick, but more work remains. Perhaps that's why it's a Beta.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 04/18/12 06:49 PM
> I like the concept of Broomstick, but more work remains. Perhaps that's why it's a Beta.

I'm going to direct Sebastian, Broomstick's developer, to your post in lieu of asking you to file a bug report. (Hiding icons is the one aspect of Broomstick that I can't test, because it relies on Spotlight, which I've got disabled.)

Yep! Much more work remains!
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 04/23/12 03:06 AM
This seems like the most appropriate place to post this: Luxembourg CIRC develops LaunchAgent monitoring tool for OS X links to a free tool that monitors your LaunchAgent folders for newly installed items such as LaunchAgent scripts..."a common route that malware developers use to run their malware in OS X once either the system is exploited or the user has been fooled into installing malware."
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 04/23/12 10:45 AM
I bookmarked that Launch Agent site, Artie, but am a bit hesitant to install it until after I have heard of the experiences of those who had. That is, does it work as advertised and are there no unintended consequences?

And because I am curious and don't understand, would this script do anything that Little Snitch does't already do?

Have you seen any reports/opinions by those who have actually used it?
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 04/23/12 11:00 AM
What you've seen is what I've seen, Harv. (I haven't installed it...don't feel particularly needy of another line of defense.)

This differs from Little Snitch in that it tells you that something has been installed whereas Little Snitch tells you that something that has been installed is trying to call home.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 04/24/12 10:08 AM
Like you, Artie, I have no (known) want/need for this script. Maybe the situation will change, but for now, I think I have adequate defenses.

And of course, thanks for the feedback.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 05/15/12 03:22 AM
Cross-referencing: New TechTool Deluxe release is Lion compatible.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 08/03/12 09:14 PM
CandyBar, a utility to customize system icons up to and including Mountain Lion (albeit with some caveats due to changes in Mountain Lion) became free today.
Please make sure to read the web page linked to above to appreciate the support changes the developer announced there.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 08/04/12 10:50 AM
TransDock X for those of us who prefer a transparent dock.

Works fine with 10.8, at least for me.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 08/14/12 08:52 PM
Temporary free promo bundle from MacLegion, including ColorStrokes, Scrambler, MacPilot, Thumbs and Wallpaper Wizard.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! - 08/14/12 08:58 PM
Thanks, alternate. I use MacPilot, but am not familiar with the other free apps.

I have a daughter who just got a new iMac and MacPilot will be a nice addition.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 08/14/12 09:01 PM
I [...] am not familiar with the other free apps.

Clicking on the app icons on the page I linked to will give you brief descriptions.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: FREEWARE! - 08/15/12 02:49 PM
Temporary free promo bundle from MacLegion, including ColorStrokes, Scrambler, MacPilot, Thumbs and Wallpaper Wizard.

may as well grab that, for the price of getting on a mailing list I suppose.

Having a little problem seeing some of the reg numbers... they're single line limited width. One of them (macscrambler) license is 250 characters long! um... wow. my printer ain't that wide.

To see those I did a save as pdf, and that provides proper linewrap. Though if you try to click on it in the pdf it will take you to their web site, it's a link. Start your highlight off to the right and drag left to capture it.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 08/15/12 05:29 PM
... may as well grab that, for the price of getting on a mailing list I suppose.

Having a little problem seeing some of the reg numbers... they're single line limited width. One of them (macscrambler) license is 250 characters long!

Yes, you'll get on MacLegions mailing list, unless of course you're already on it for buying another bundle. wink But there is an advantage to registration (see below).

Good point about the seemingly truncated registration numbers. Personally I always save such receipt pages, then print them to PDF and compare the two for discrepancies.
But don't forget the receipt email MacLegion will send after you download the bundle. This email lists your registration numbers in their entirety. Finally, you can always access your MacLegion account to recover any registration numbers you may have lost.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 10/29/12 06:56 PM

This Wednesday, October 31, CodeWeavers Inc. will have a Halloween "Flock The Vote" Software Giveaway, where you can get a single copy of CrossOver with 12 months support for free. tongue
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! 50 GB Free Cloud Storage - 02/09/13 12:52 PM
Filesharing service Box is offering up 50 GB of free cloud storage in a new promotion. To qualify, you must be a new Dell employee or friend on a free plan, or just sign up for a new account with a new email address. The deal is also for non-commercial use only, and because it's free, there's a file-size cap of 250 MB that you'll have to duck in under.

There is also a free iPhone/iPad app (buried in the application settings).

I don't like their requirement that a phone number be included with the registration, but there are work arounds I suppose…

I have yet to use this cloud, but it seems routine as cloud services go.

P.S. While this indicates it's for Dell, I found that anyone can use it.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: FREEWARE! 50 GB Free Cloud Storage - 02/13/13 05:18 PM
it let me sign up no problem.

They do have a few "upgrade" options, so I suppose it's like drop box, "first one's free". Though they don't appear to have any tight OS integration. It appears to be entirely web and iapp based interface. Not as convenient as dropbox. for finder, but has some more features and iapps.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: FREEWARE! - 03/23/13 03:48 PM
I suppose it's more accurately referred to as Donationware, but Mountain Tweaks provides a handy centralized interface for reverting an impressive number of Mountain Lion "features" back to their pre-Mountain Lion states (and in some cases, like the 3D Dock, to much earlier states than that), from "Show/Hide the user Library folder" to "Disable default iCloud save location."
Posted By: Pendragon Re: FREEWARE! Safe Download Version - 03/23/13 07:19 PM
In sum, it tells when OSX Protect was last updated on your machine.

Safe Download Version is a Mac OS X application that shows which safe downloads definition list version is installed, along with the date and time the definition list was last updated on your computer.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: FREEWARE! Safe Download Version - 03/23/13 08:50 PM
Thanks for the link, Harv. It looks like a nice little app.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 06/05/14 04:28 AM
Wow! I'm amazed to see that nobody's posted to this thread in 14 1/2 months; I'm not sure what that says.

At any rate, for the benefit of those who both missed this thread and haven't been advised of it by a financial company with which they deal, Trusteer Rapport is a free offering (from an IBM company) that, among other things, stops man-in-the-middle and man-in-the-browser attacks. (Edit: It surpasses DNSCrypt's functionality in any number of neat ways.)

Its Mac implementation isn't exactly user-friendly, and its idea of local user security is kind of mystifying, but it apparently does its job, which is what it's really paid to do.

You can d/l Trusteer Rapport here. (Click on the orange "Bank Customers-?-Click Here" button.)
Posted By: artie505 Re: FREEWARE! - 06/02/15 10:28 AM
And another year's gone by with nary a post to this thread.

The App Store?
Posted By: alternaut Re: FREEWARE! - 06/02/15 02:52 PM
FWIW, I snuck in a few security related items via THE CYBER-SECURITY THREAD. Didn’t seem necessary to repeat myself here, until your comment… smirk But this wash sure is rather dry lately.
© FineTunedMac