Home
Posted By: grelber Wine Whine - 11/08/15 09:56 AM
China’s Winemakers Seek Their Own Napa Valley

Holy crap! (My immediate reaction as an oenophile to that news and likely an apt label for a wine from the Middle Kingdom.)

Forget about the ground glass and antifreeze contamination found in certain European wines in recent years.

Remember the melamine additives to baby food and protein supplements for pet foods from the folks who gave us The Great Leap Forward and its attendant deaths of millions. shocked

It'd sure be hard to trust any purported potable from a country with such abysmal safety records with respect to foodstuffs.

It'd probably be less risky to latch onto some backwoods moonshine with the potential for methanol (wood alcohol) poisoning ± death.

Cry havoc! And run! Run like the wind! tongue crazy
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Wine Whine - 11/08/15 10:40 AM
As a fellow oenophile, I must agree. Manufactured goods that say "Made in China" are ubiquitous, and (in my view) wave a red flag of shoddy stuff.
Posted By: grelber Re: Wine Whine - 11/08/15 02:23 PM
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Manufactured goods that say "Made in China" are ubiquitous, and (in my view) wave a red flag of shoddy stuff.

Might one simply note that the PRC's national flag does the job? smirk
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Wine Whine - 11/09/15 02:51 PM
For those interested, read A Tasting of Chinese Wines Personally, I'm not interested. My wife and I (well, mostly my wife) have collected some very good wines over the years so I'm not looking for commercial-type ones. Our main ambition is to not let any of our wines outlive us.
Posted By: grelber Re: Wine Whine - 11/09/15 05:52 PM
... Personally, I'm not interested. My wife and I (well, mostly my wife) have collected some very good wines over the years so I'm not looking for commercial-type ones. Our main ambition is to not let any of our wines outlive us.

And unless you have kids or others that you cherish and want to benefit from your demise, always die "in the red". wink
Posted By: Ira L Re: Wine Whine - 11/10/15 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: grelber
... Personally, I'm not interested. My wife and I (well, mostly my wife) have collected some very good wines over the years so I'm not looking for commercial-type ones. Our main ambition is to not let any of our wines outlive us.

And unless you have kids or others that you cherish and want to benefit from your demise, always die "in the red". wink

What is it they say: "The check to the mortician should bounce!" tongue

[no offense, morticians]
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Wine Whine - 11/10/15 06:09 PM
"With my luck, if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying." Rodney Dangerfield
© FineTunedMac