Home
Posted By: joemikeb Old Mac OS Fans Rejoice - 06/23/15 02:13 AM
For those who really miss "the good old days" on the Mac, Apple is once again producing a platform that will run Mac OS 7.5.5 and it fits on your wrist. You guessed it -- the Apple watch. A developer has reportedly ported OS 7.5.5 to the Apple watch running on top of the Apple watch OS. Reportedly the watch provides reasonably snappy performance with OS 7.5.5.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Old Mac OS Fans Rejoice - 06/23/15 09:07 AM
To coin a phrase, "Back to the Future". (Hey, that's a catchy title for a movie. I thought of it first, of course.) grin For those who revel in nostalgia, read An outpouring of love for the playful, personality-filled Macintosh Classic
Posted By: artie505 Re: Old Mac OS Fans Rejoice - 06/23/15 10:23 AM
Do you envision any practical use for OS 7.5.5 on a watch, or is porting it little more than an exercise?
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Old Mac OS Fans Rejoice - 06/29/15 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
For those who really miss "the good old days" on the Mac, Apple is once again producing a platform that will run Mac OS 7.5.5 and it fits on your wrist. You guessed it -- the Apple watch. A developer has reportedly ported OS 7.5.5 to the Apple watch running on top of the Apple watch OS. Reportedly the watch provides reasonably snappy performance with OS 7.5.5.

Well, technically, the license says you may only install it on an apple computer... so I suppose that's kosher!
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Old Mac OS Fans Rejoice - 06/29/15 03:41 PM
Originally Posted By: artie505
Do you envision any practical use for OS 7.5.5 on a watch, or is porting it little more than an exercise?

I see it as an interesting exercise demonstrating how powerful the Apple Watch really is. The fact the Watch can run a PowerPC emulator and OS 7.5 at a reasonable speed is pretty impressive. As my grandson said when referring to the Apple Watch he got for graduation, "You could launch a space shuttle with this thing."
© FineTunedMac