Home
Posted By: Pendragon Inductive Charging - 09/29/09 05:28 PM
Inductive charging, waddya think?

Should (will) Apple incorporate such technology for their mobile devices?
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Inductive Charging - 09/29/09 07:10 PM
Reading that, Nikola Tesla came to mind immediately.

I googled around and found this report (from July 2009):
Tesla’s Wireless Power Transmission Reinvented by Witricity
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Inductive Charging - 09/29/09 10:40 PM
Gads, how threads do wonder... Your mention of Nikola Tesla took me back to my days of satellite development & testing vis-a vis magnetic flux density. Alas I stray-

What I'm most curious about is what the trade offs are in terms of battery longevity, weight, size, cost, etc., though I suppose I'll have to wait until someone has actually tested one of those Dell critters.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Inductive Charging - 09/30/09 12:57 AM
There are lots of relatively low power gadgets around that use inductive charging. I have an electric toothbrush, but the power requirements are quite modest and it spends 23 hours and 56 minutes a day charging. It will be interesting to see how this works out.
Posted By: tacit Re: Inductive Charging - 09/30/09 09:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Gads, how threads do wonder... Your mention of Nikola Tesla took me back to my days of satellite development & testing vis-a vis magnetic flux density. Alas I stray-

What I'm most curious about is what the trade offs are in terms of battery longevity, weight, size, cost, etc., though I suppose I'll have to wait until someone has actually tested one of those Dell critters.

Inductive charging is inefficient (not all of the energy makes it into the battery; some is wasted) and requires space inside the device, leaving less space available for other things.

Whether or not those are important depends, I suppose, on the application. A laptop doesn't typically consume that much power anyway (less than a 100-watt light bulb, in most cases), so the fact that it's wasteful probably isn't a big deal for most folks.
Posted By: Larry Re: Inductive Charging - 09/30/09 10:23 PM
Originally Posted By: tacit
Originally Posted By: Pendragon

Inductive charging is inefficient (not all of the energy makes it into the battery; some is wasted) and requires space inside the device, leaving less space available for other things.

Whether or not those are important depends, I suppose, on the application. A laptop doesn't typically consume that much power anyway (less than a 100-watt light bulb, in most cases), so the fact that it's wasteful probably isn't a big deal for most folks.

Why not just use a flux capacitor? Doc Brown did and got something like 1.21 gigawatts out of it.
Posted By: tacit Re: Inductive Charging - 10/02/09 05:58 AM
Well, one watt of power is one joule of energy per second, so 1.21 gigawatts would be 1,210,000,000 joules of energy...would you feel safe with that sitting right next to you? I sure wouldn't!

(Interesting side note: I always assumed that in Back to the Future, actor Christopher Lloyd was mispronouncing "gigawatts" as "jiggawatts". It turns out that the scriptwriters had wanted to invent a totally nonsense unit of measurement; the script, allegedly, says "jigowatts," and it's just coincidence that it sounds like a mispronunciation of "gigawatts.")
© FineTunedMac