Home
Posted By: ryck It's all in the delivery - 09/06/12 04:27 PM
This week Clint Eastwood delivered an 11 minute monologue that seemed interminable. Last night President Clinton delivered a 45 minute speech that left the audience wanting more.

It seems Clint should stick to acting and directing.
Posted By: alternaut Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/06/12 05:57 PM
Clint suffered from a 'duet malfunction'. Because of it, you missed the other half of the show with Jermaine Fowler as Obama... smirk
Posted By: ryck Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/06/12 07:28 PM
Ha ha ha....that's great. You've made my day, comedically speaking. laugh
Posted By: tacit Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/06/12 11:30 PM
Is it my imagination, or is Clint Eastwood showing signs of age-related cognitive decline? From the way he speaks, he seems to have difficulty remembering where he is in a sentence. I've spoken to people with early Alzheimer's who seem to have similar problems.
Posted By: artie505 Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/06/12 11:44 PM
Nope, it isn't your imagination; he's quite obviously not all there.
Posted By: ryck Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/07/12 12:55 AM
Originally Posted By: tacit
Is it my imagination, or is Clint Eastwood showing signs of age-related cognitive decline?

I'm not sure. It would seem so, if you based things on that appearance alone, but he's been in other TV situations, like interviews, where he was fine. He does have a naturally drawn-out way of speaking that could just as easily be accentuated by a couple of stiff shots on an empty stomach.

And of course, he was trying to ad-lib the whole thing which is a skill best left to people who have that particular talent. What seemed like losing his place in a sentence could just as easily have been stumbling around as he tried to think of what he should say next.
Posted By: alternaut Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/07/12 01:24 AM
Fwiw, and from the outside looking in, not hindered by any real knowledge of Eastwood's condition, I'd be inclined to agree with ryck. To me it looked like an ad-lib gone awry.
Posted By: artie505 Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/07/12 01:31 AM
> "he was trying to ad-lib the whole thing"

He actually stood up in front of America to support the nomination of a presidential candidate with no more than a vague idea of what he wanted to say?

That doesn't jive with his demonstrated production and directorial skills, nor do his demeanor and delivery, lack of a talented tongue notwithstanding, jive with his acting skills.

I very much hope his performance foreshadows the rest of the Romney campaign.
Posted By: ryck Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/07/12 05:56 AM
Originally Posted By: artie505
He actually stood up in front of America to support the nomination of a presidential candidate with no more than a vague idea of what he wanted to say?

Yup. He was given 3 minutes which is, if you have a properly written and rehearsed presentation, plenty of time to say a lot. But, if you skip the writing and rehearsing part.......

Originally Posted By: artie505
I very much hope his performance foreshadows the rest of the Romney campaign.

You and me both.
Posted By: artie505 Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/07/12 06:10 AM
> But, if you skip the writing and rehearsing part.......

That's what I said: His presentation was so at odds with what one would expect from a man with his skills that it's just got to leave you scratching your head.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/07/12 02:40 PM
Eastwood Says He Balked at Sharing Speech With Romney Campaign
Posted By: artie505 Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/07/12 06:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Clint Eastwood
“They vet most of the people, but I told them, ‘You can’t do that with me, because I don’t know what I’m going to say,’”....

And with that knowledge in hand "they" allowed him to speak?

Wow...doesn't say much for the guys running the campaign!!!

(But it is encouraging. grin )
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/10/12 12:24 AM
well, he is an entertainer, he's just doing his job.
Posted By: artie505 Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/11/12 05:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
well, he is an entertainer, he's just doing his job.

But Clint Eastwood is not an entertainer, not per se, anyhow (He hasn't made a career of standing in front of a mic entertaining audiences.), nor was his job to entertain the convention; his job was to set up Romney's big moment, not detract from it by grabbing the spotlight.
Posted By: dboh Re: It's all in the delivery - 09/14/12 11:46 AM
Quote:
Nope, it isn't your imagination; he's quite obviously not all there.

No, I think he's just a cranky old guy. Maybe realizing you're running out of time makes you crabby.

I was surprised at his vehemence. Considering it was the far right who reacted the most negatively to his Super Bowl ad, you wouldn't have thought he'd still be aligned with them.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/clint-eastwood-interview-1012[quote][/quote]
© FineTunedMac