Home
Posted By: Hal Itosis random stuff - 10/11/11 03:42 AM
idunno... kinda interesting:

Wöhr Multiparker
Posted By: Pendragon Re: random stuff - 10/11/11 01:58 PM
Interesting, Hal.

Reminds me of the parking garage at the Baltimore airport, but far, far more advanced. (BWI has the red-green light feature used to identify empty parking spaces, but one must still do the driving.)
Posted By: ryck Re: random stuff - 10/11/11 06:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
idunno... kinda interesting:

Quite interesting...no worries about a valet burning your tires down to the cords....no worries about someone rummaging your glovebox...and no backing up - a simple skill that seems to escape so many drivers.

ryck
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: random stuff - 10/21/11 01:27 PM

Quantum Levitation

Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: random stuff - 10/22/11 01:53 PM

Theo Jansen: Kinetic Sculptures

Posted By: roger Re: random stuff - 10/22/11 02:05 PM
I saw that the other day (on Facebook!). really wonderful stuff. oh the wondrous things we can do.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: random stuff - 10/23/11 03:48 AM
<Like>
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: random stuff - 10/30/11 07:31 PM
while hunting for something totally unrelated, i happened to come across this in an old issue of BusinessWeek...

Originally Posted By: Michael Dell
APRIL 16, 2001

NEWS: ANALYSIS & COMMENTARY

Q&A: The Tech Slump Doesn't Scare Michael Dell
"What we see now is a more normal business environment"

On Apr. 3, as part of BusinessWeek's continuing "Captains of Industry" series with the 92nd Street Y in New York, Dell Computer Corp. (DELL) CEO Michael S. Dell sat down with Editor-in-Chief Stephen B. Shepard to talk about Dell and the changing PC business. Excerpts:

<snip>

Q: What is the future of Apple Computer?
A: Silicon Graphics.

Q: That bad?
A: Maybe it's a little bit different. But if you look at proprietary computer companies, whether it's Digital or Silicon Graphics (SGI) or Apple (AAPL), I think the fates are all relatively similar. We know how the movie ends. It's just a question of what happens in the middle. Apple has a very little customer base. If you look at the economics, it has been extremely hard for Apple to get a return on its R&D with a shrinking volume base. It's not to say that Apple's products aren't innovative or cool, but the economic factors here are so overwhelming, it's very hard for them to swim against that tide.

Q: If you were running Apple, is there anything you could do to change that?
A: I would never take that job.

</snip>

grin
Posted By: ryck Re: random stuff - 10/30/11 08:42 PM
Yup....and Dell's share price back then was around $27, Today it's around $16.

Apple's? Well, somewhat more.

And Dell's current Market Cap is about 1/12 of Apple's.

Double grin
© FineTunedMac