Home
Posted By: RHV Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/06/11 01:23 AM
My God; what a loss. There's nobody to match him. A totally creative stand out.
Posted By: tacit Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/06/11 04:18 AM
A sad day. RIP Steve.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/06/11 03:58 PM
The world has lost one of the genuinely rare individuals who was not only amazingly creative, but also knew how to manage creativity.
Posted By: grelber Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/06/11 05:14 PM
From The New York Times* today:

If he had a motto, it may have come from “The Whole Earth Catalog,” which he said had deeply influenced him as a young man. The book, he said in his commencement address at Stanford in 2005, ends with the admonition “Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.”
“I have always wished that for myself,” he said.

* Steve Jobs, Apple’s Visionary, Dies at 56

Posted By: joemikeb Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/06/11 07:45 PM
David Pogue's column on Steve Jobs
Posted By: freelance Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/07/11 05:17 PM
56. He was pretty old for a rock star.
Posted By: ryck Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/07/11 06:00 PM
Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything, all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.

Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

Steve Jobs (1955-2011), Stanford commencement speech, June 2005
Posted By: roger Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/07/11 09:17 PM
excellent.
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/07/11 11:04 PM
A silhouette of Steve superimposed on the Apple logo...

"Remembering Steve Jobs: Wallpaper Tribute"

credited to: browsing http://simpledesktops.com/ which also leads to:
http://static.simpledesktops.com/desktops/2011/10/06/steve.png

Posted By: macnerd10 Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/07/11 11:19 PM
I vote for it as the new Apple logo!
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/07/11 11:21 PM
<Like>

wink
Posted By: artie505 Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/07/11 11:22 PM
Originally Posted By: macnerd10
I vote for it as the new Apple logo!

Thanks for that! I spent way too much time trying to figure out how Art Jonak fit into this thread.
Posted By: macnerd10 Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/08/11 12:53 AM
I found the guy on Facebook with this logo posted. Everybody thought it was his creation and gave him a lot of likes and kudos. Only one post somehow mentioned the guy in Hong Kong. Then I saw Hal's post and went a bit deeper. Looks like these are two different people and the Texan has nothing to do with the picture. This is why I deleted my post because the second guy kind of hijacked the logo. Anyway, it would be great to have it on a new iPhone!
Posted By: tacit Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/08/11 01:14 AM
Originally Posted By: ryck
Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything, all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.

Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

Steve Jobs (1955-2011), Stanford commencement speech, June 2005

While I appreciate and value the sentiment, there's a part of me that wants to rebel against it. I don't believe that a knowledge of mortality is the only route to get there (and, flip side of the same coin, many people who are aware of their own mortality don't ever reach those conclusions).

I am all in favor of radical longevity, which isn't quite the same as immortality, but is kinda similar in many people's views. I believe it's possible to have radical longevity and still embrace those values, though that's perhaps a conversation for a different time.
Posted By: ryck Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/08/11 11:51 AM
I was not aware of radical longevity but it does sound like an interesting conversation - for another time - and, at some point I'll start the thread.

However, immortality isn't what I took from Steve Jobs' words. I read: Life's too short to sweat the little stuff. Make the most of the time you've got.

ryck
Posted By: macnerd10 Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/08/11 05:07 PM
<Like>
Posted By: Dave Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/09/11 04:29 PM
Quote:
Tribute to Steve Jobs

Stephen Colbert honors Steve Jobs with a montage of all the cool Apple products he gave him over the years and thanks him for everything he did.

Link
Posted By: Dave Re: Steve's Gone at age 56 - 10/24/11 12:29 AM
Here's an article I just noticed:

Former Compaq CEO now loves his Mac
Posted By: pbGuy Apple's Goodbye - 10/24/11 09:14 PM
For any one's not seen this video, it is worth a view. (It's about 1 hour 20 minutes.)

Jony Ive speaks right after VP Gore

Apple's Campus Celebration Event on Oct 19
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Apple's Goodbye - 11/03/11 12:06 PM
the Steve Jobs backlash
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Apple's Goodbye - 11/03/11 04:10 PM
Originally Posted By: jchuzi

What a bunch of crap. First... who on Earth ever said Jobs was a saint ? The movie 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' came out over a decade ago. Is it supposed to qualify as news now that Steve was a highly temperamental individual?

Gawker? Who cares? We all remember the iPhone 4 incident in which they broke the law and suffered the wrath of Steve. So clearly they're just out for revenge (in the form of massive page hits on their ad-laden web site).

“Chinese suicide sweatshops where iPods are made"
?
Gimme a break NYT. Just look at the client list for Foxconn, and tell me that Apple/Steve deserve to be singled out for special mention here.

Crap. It's just (yet) another way to capitalize on collective ignorance.
Posted By: alternaut Re: Apple's Goodbye - 12/16/11 05:40 PM
Dec. 14 BBC documentary Steve Jobs - Billion Dollar Hippy now on Youtube:

Posted By: artie505 Re: Apple's Goodbye - 03/06/12 08:57 AM
The iGod: Steve Jobs’s pursuit of perfection—and the consequences

It's a long read (I'm nowhere near the bottom yet.), but it's well written and, I'm told, worth reading in its entirety.
© FineTunedMac