Home
Final Touchdown, by Philip Scott Andrews.
You might also enjoy Welcome Home, Atlantis.
Thank you. I would have missed that, and would not have learned about the condenstaion collar (photo 21).
You're welcome! And yes, I too noticed that condensation collar, and don't recall a better image of the phenomenon. Recently I have become a fan of The Atlantic's InFocus Gallery, always good for a relaxed 10-20 minutes with each new installment. I particularly appreciate the current series on World War II.
Originally Posted By: MicroMatTech3
Thank you. I would have missed that, and would not have learned about the condenstaion collar (photo 21).

I would pay more than a quarter for a chance to play #6.

Yep the collar very briefly occurs when an object transitions to supersonic. There's a popular picture of an F16 (I think) with that collar about midway down the body that's all over the internet. One of those "perfect moment" pictures.
Here's one I think. You're basically shaking the water out of the air with the shockwave.
That would be an F/A-18 Hornet......possibly one that I myself used to fly.
In the right atmospheric conditions, the condensation collar can turn to ice crystals. In the right conditions and with the sun in the right place, the result is a rainbow around and behind the aircraft. The best example I've ever seen is this rainbow surrounding an F-22 Raptor as it goes supersonic.
Originally Posted By: tacit
In the right atmospheric conditions, the condensation collar can turn to ice crystals. In the right conditions and with the sun in the right place, the result is a rainbow around and behind the aircraft. The best example I've ever seen is this rainbow surrounding an F-22 Raptor as it goes supersonic.

Both cool and awesome!
© FineTunedMac