Home
Posted By: jchuzi Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/17/11 01:39 PM
Apple Says Steve Jobs Is Taking a New Medical Leave. This doesn't sound good.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/17/11 05:36 PM
and in unrelated news, Apple's stock drops 13 pts
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/17/11 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
and in unrelated news, Apple's stock drops 13 pts

Excellent. Let it drop a little lower and then it's a good time to buy. grin
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/17/11 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: jchuzi

Yeah, it's weird they even bother to announce it. Do we track Ballmer's movements every single day? Steve should just go off whenever he needs, and —if folks ask for his whereabouts —just say "Steve can monitor and manage Apple's affairs no matter where he's located."

This leave might also be about familiarizing folks with the name "Tim Cook"... because (like it or not), all our names will wind up in the Ad Astra thread eventually.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/17/11 06:48 PM
makes you wonder just how easily Steve's physician could get himself charged with insider trading?
Posted By: ryck Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/17/11 10:23 PM
I liked the salutation in his note to the Apple employees. We've all worked in companies where it would be "Memo to all staff".

Not Jobs. His note begins "Team,"

ryck
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/17/11 10:59 PM

Quote:
Do we track Ballmer's movements every single day?

If Ballmer were to take a leave, I'd expect shares of Microsoft to rise. laugh
Posted By: artie505 Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/18/11 09:09 AM
They had to announce it; they already took flack from shareholders for not being entirely candid about his last leave.

(The perception, at least, is that) Ballmer is nowhere as near important to Microsoft as Jobs is to Apple.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/18/11 10:52 AM
Originally Posted By: ryck
I liked the salutation in his note to the Apple employees. We've all worked in companies where it would be "Memo to all staff".

Not Jobs. His note begins "Team,"

ryck
A Deep Bench of Leadership at Apple
Posted By: Virtual1 doesn't take a Nostradamus - 01/18/11 03:12 PM
Apple shares drop on Steve Jobs' health
Posted By: ryck Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/18/11 10:04 PM

That shows how smart Jobs is in terms of his management style. Even if he lives to be 95 he still wants the company to flourish after he's gone. He knows that he won't have accomplished anything if his demise means it falls apart.

Therefore he has a strong smart team around him, and he works on maintaining that team philosophy throughout the organization. He knows that, while people think of him as "the smartest person in the room", there are people on his team who are smarter than him in certain areas - and he works on getting the best from them.

Now, that's smart!

ryck
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/24/11 12:53 PM
The Understudy Takes the Stage at Apple
Posted By: artie505 Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/24/11 01:20 PM
The real question, and if it has been asked, it certainly hasn't been answered, is how many projects are already either in the concept stage or under active development in anticipation of Steve's eventual departure?

I'm sure Leonardo had a great team, too, but a team without a visionary...? [Shakes head sadly]
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/24/11 06:21 PM
My opinion here, is that whoever takes over for Steve needs to not try to be a replacement. Anyone that's watched Dr Who knows, the new Doctor is not trying to be an imitation or replacement. They're completely fresh. Apple would benefit from this, but Steve has a very specific successful magic that is for the most part unparalleled anywhere in the 'biz, so finding someone with a fresh new image that has that same magic could be next to impossible.

So, copycat is the safe way, but not the best way...
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/24/11 06:34 PM
So since I'm usually in charge of "everyone wants to discuss it but nobody has the nerve/courage to bring it up", things around here,

when do we expect to move this discussion to the "Ad astra" thread?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/24/11 08:57 PM
So since I'm usually in charge of "everyone wants to discuss it but nobody has the nerve/courage to bring it up", things around here, when do we expect to move this discussion to the "Ad astra" thread?
Realistically, probably sooner rather than later. Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst ones to have. Steve has survived longer than my Uncle Bernie, who died 3 months after his diagnosis.

Let this be a lesson to all of us: No matter what you think you have accomplished during your lifetime, you, yourself, won't survive. My wife has a Pogo sweatshirt that shows someone pouring water over Pogo's head and saying, "Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent".
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 01/25/11 03:18 AM
So since I'm usually in charge of "everyone wants to discuss it but nobody has the nerve/courage to bring it up", things around here,

when do we expect to move this discussion to the "Ad astra" thread?

If you're in charge, then shouldn't you be telling instead of asking? confused

I say they should give the gig to Noah Wyle on a permanent basis. wink
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/17/11 10:24 AM
Apple's Steve Jobs reportedly seen at California's Stanford Cancer Center
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/17/11 09:37 PM
And now the National Enquirer (America's most trusted news source) is getting into the fray. They've found at least a few "experts" that are giving him ~3 weeks.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/18/11 12:17 PM
Steve Jobs reported in attendance in meeting with Obama I'm sure that the National Enquirer will have a scholarly, cogent article about this.
Posted By: grelber Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/18/11 01:46 PM
The morbid dissection begins.
CTV's "Canada am" just ran an interview piece discussing what Jobs's death might mean for Apple's stock and other delightful unpleasantnesses.
Sheesh, and double sheesh. frown
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/18/11 04:05 PM
yes the vultures certainly are starting to circle early aren't they?
Posted By: ryck Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/18/11 05:28 PM
And now the National Enquirer (America's most trusted news source) is getting into the fray.

I'm sure that the National Enquirer will have a scholarly, cogent article about this.

Indeed. Several years ago, standing in a supermarket line, I came to the conclusion that tabloids weren't reliable sources of information. One paper had a picture of two deer hunters, rifles at their sides, who had bagged strange trophies.

The hunters were holding giant grasshoppers, about five feet long and a foot thick. I was taken aback until I looked closely at the rifles...they were 22 calibre.

I knew then that something was wrong about this story. Let's face it, if they really were deer hunters they wouldn't have been carrying 22's. Who do these papers think they're fooling? laugh

ryck
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/18/11 05:48 PM
Why are you complaining, Ryck? I know for a fact (dutifully reported by the National Enquirer) that Bigfoot was shot with a .22 and is recovering in the same hospital as Elvis. grin
Posted By: artie505 Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/19/11 07:43 AM
You're sadly behind on your news, Jon; Bigfoot signed himself out of the hospital yesterday and has eloped with Kim Kardashian.
Posted By: grelber Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/19/11 09:07 AM
And don't they deserve each other?! So much to learn from alternative life styles. grin
Posted By: artie505 Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/19/11 09:14 AM
Originally Posted By: grelber
And don't they deserve each other?! So much to learn from alternative life styles. grin

Honestly, I think Bigfoot deserves better.

And what a lifestyle... Living your life for TV. frown
Posted By: ryck Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/19/11 02:59 PM
Why are you complaining, Ryck? I know for a fact (dutifully reported by the National Enquirer) that Bigfoot was shot with a .22 and is recovering in the same hospital as Elvis. grin

I am reminded of a radio documentary I heard (about 35 years ago) about tabloids. The radio producers had interviewed some people who had been tabloid writers. I don't recall the specific names but I remember the gist of one writer's response when asked about 'fictional accounts'. He related one event.

He had written a couple of stories for the same issue of a tabloid, but the Editor had a complaint. "You've got Frank Sinatra punching out a waiter in London in this story, but in this one you have him dating this starlet in Rome at the same time."

"Oh, no problem. Just change the name in the waiter story to Ernest Borgnine."

ryck
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/20/11 03:33 AM
Originally Posted By: artie505
You're sadly behind on your news, Jon; Bigfoot signed himself out of the hospital yesterday and has eloped with Kim Kardashian.

No way... because, that's actually too credible, for an Enquirer headline.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Steve Jobs: New developments - 02/20/11 09:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Originally Posted By: artie505

No way... because, that's actually too credible, for an Enquirer headline.

Excellent!

That gave me a good laugh, Hal; thanks. smile
© FineTunedMac