Home
Posted By: ryck Getting dough from the Pope - 05/13/10 01:54 AM
So...doing a bit of family history and ran across a story that there used to be quite a bit of dough in our family - made by a successful distant relative from long ago in New York. Apparently he was a bachelor for most of his life and married late.

There's a rub. He married a Catholic girl who didn't reveal her religion. Our family roots back then were very Orange and the marriage would not have proceeded had he known. At any rate, they had one child but he died soon after and his wife raised the child in the Catholic church.

The child ended up a spinster and when she died she left all the money to the Church.

Here's what I'm thinking. I could write a letter to the Pope to let him know that there's been a dreadful mistake and he has an opportunity to right a wrong. I wonder how I should phrase it? I wonder what my chances are?

ryck

Edit: One other question. Do I accept a cheque or insist on gold?
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Getting dough from the Pope - 05/14/10 01:57 AM
no idea what it means to be 'very orange', and I don't see any mistake here and I doubt he will either.

i would also point out that when the pope conducts mass, he rarely is the one handing out communion.
Posted By: tacit Re: Getting dough from the Pope - 05/14/10 03:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
no idea what it means to be 'very orange', and I don't see any mistake here and I doubt he will either.

The Oranges are an activist anti-Catholic organization founded in Ireland in 1796.

Imagine a Muslim woman marrying Glenn Beck without telling him she's Muslim, then on his death donating his entire estate to anti-American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, and you'll get the general notion.
Posted By: ryck Re: Getting dough from the Pope - 05/14/10 05:02 PM
Originally Posted By: tacit
The Oranges are an activist anti-Catholic organization founded in Ireland in 1796.

You're right although our family's Orange was on the Scottish side. Fortunately, enough generations have passed to purge that sort of arbitrary discrimination. My children understand that nowadays the only colour important to be is green (although I don't think that'll help me get any dough from Rome).

Oh well.

ryck
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Getting dough from the Pope - 05/14/10 05:29 PM
somewhere awhile ago I saw a shot of a new car at a dealership in the show room, with a BSD for a dashboard.

According to some other articles on /. today the automotive spindoctors are all saying that such problems are "very unlikely". Makes me wish there were some way to catch a big group of them the morning of a board meeting, and cause something "very unlikely" to happen to their cars as they tried to start them. Picture engines revving, horns honking, hot air and ac alternately blasting, stereo blarind and changing stations rapidly, and "but don't worry, this is VERY unlikely" to be flashing on their dash.
Posted By: ryck Re: Getting dough from the Pope - 05/14/10 05:40 PM
Hmmmmmm. This is either:

1. Intended for Grelber's "Cars at risk to hackers" thread, or

2. A recommendation that I get someone to hack the Popemobile.
grin

ryck
© FineTunedMac