Home
Posted By: artie505 Edited posts - 09/10/21 03:27 AM
I just went back to reread a post, and, coincidentally, I found that it had been edited since I first read it.

Had I not been inclined to reread that post I'd never have know that it had been updated, so I'm wondering if there's any way for edited posts to be highlighted in some way in the Forums index or elsewhere?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Edited posts - 09/10/21 06:09 PM
There is a time limit on how long a post can be edited after posting to discourage what you described from happening. For management reasons that time limit does not apply to moderators in their forum(s) or admins in any forum. So I may well be (probably are) the author of the edit you noted. (mea culpa)

What you are looking for could be a handy feature but AFIK it is not available in UBB. The only solution I can offer is personal, and that is to discipline myself to always post a new corrected message rather than editing or adding an addendum to an existing post and limit any edits to typos or coding errors.
Posted By: cyn Re: Edited posts - 09/13/21 11:02 AM
I've been seeing more posts edited after replies have been made and/or several hours have passed, and often people don't even leave the "Mark As Edited" box checked to alert readers that changes have been made.

Am thinking about reducing the edit window.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Edited posts - 09/13/21 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by cyn
Am thinking about reducing the edit window.
I think that's a good idea, and I'll suggest 30 minutes.

I often edit with no notation because the edit is strictly grammatical or because I've used a better word...because of neurosis, to be precise, but if I change the response itself, I always check the "Edited" box.

A shorter window would do wonders for my neurosis as well as force updated posts should they be necessary after that long a period.
Posted By: Ira L Re: Edited posts - 09/13/21 06:00 PM
I agree that for changes of style, grammar, etc. checking the "Edited" box should not be necessary/required.
Posted By: cyn Re: Edited posts - 09/20/21 12:50 AM
30 minutes it is.

I also shortened the time limit for deleting a post from 60 minutes to 30.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Edited posts - 09/20/21 03:46 PM
It's 11:45 AM, and I'm still able to edit or delete a post that I posted at 11:02 AM.

Likewise @ 12:10.
Posted By: cyn Re: Edited posts - 09/21/21 01:01 AM
Ok, poked around a bit and figured out I needed to change the times in another place too. Should be good now...I hope!
Posted By: artie505 Re: Edited posts - 09/21/21 02:18 AM
OK, let's see.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Edited posts - 09/21/21 09:35 AM
Oops! I forgot to check after 30 minutes, but the "Edit" option is gone at this point.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Edited posts - 09/21/21 10:07 AM
30 minutes it is!
© FineTunedMac