Home
Posted By: Gregg Stop doing that! - 10/27/09 12:54 PM
wink

Why is it even possible to change the content of the Subject line for each post? When you do that (you know who you are!) then your new line replaces the OP's chosen Topic Title (Subject) with yours on the Home > Forums page. Not only does that seem like Topic-jacking or Subject-jacking or whatever, but subsequent posts feed off of it when people just click the last "Reply To" button to add their two cents. So why isn't Topic-jacking or Subject-jacking just as offensive (generally) as Thread-Jacking?

There certainly are enough terms for the same thing! The button to start a Thread says New Topic, and we also can designate Watched Topics, but, the heading above the, uh Topics says Subject / Poster.

Maybe we need to merge them. But, back to my complaining... When I see a Topject/Subjic(Subpic?) that I've not seen before on the Forums page, I think, "Oh, a new Thread". Then I find out it's an alias. Grumble, grumble...
Posted By: dkmarsh But I can't [was: Re: Stop doing that!] - 10/27/09 01:23 PM

The title ("name") of the thread—that is, the Subject of the thread-starting post—remains the same in any case, so when you see a subject you've "not seen before on the Forums page," you're referring to seeing a subject in the list of search results obtained by selecting one of the three choices under the Active Topics navigation link at the top of any forums page, correct? Such a thread continues to bear its original title in its parent forum's index of posts regardless of the Subject of the latest post.

In newsgroups and in other online discussions, it's sometimes customary to accompany a subject change with a bracketed aside such as the one I appended to my changed subject for this post. The character-count limitation of the Subject text-entry field would render this approach of limited utility here, I suspect.
Posted By: cyn Re: Stop doing that! - 10/27/09 02:38 PM
I believe Gregg's referring to the subject shown in the Last Post column on the main Forum List page.

I too would rather people stick with the original Subject when replying to posts (except perhaps to correct typos). Tacit might be able to make the field non-editable on replies, but whether that customization of UBBT would be worth the work is another question.
Posted By: Gregg Re: Stop doing that! - 10/27/09 05:30 PM
You are correct.

I kinda figured you'd agree with me on this one. wink
Posted By: Gregg Re: But I can't [was: Re: Stop doing that!] - 10/27/09 05:31 PM
Yes we can! wink wink
© FineTunedMac