Home
Posted By: artie505 FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/25/12 06:07 AM
I just noticed that FTM's custom favicon has reverted to the generic UBB.threads favicon.

UBB update, or other cause?
Posted By: alternaut Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/25/12 04:11 PM
Originally Posted By: artie505
UBB update, or other cause?

Good catch! It was last week's UBB security update v7.5.7. Like the previous time this happened, the favicon will return to the forums as soon as tacit's back from the holidays. If you suffer from withdrawal effects, rush to FineTunedMac's Favicon Emergency Room. Meanwhile, Happy Holidays!
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/26/12 12:44 AM
And Happy holidays to smile, too! (Hint: The smile is a link.)
Posted By: tacit Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/26/12 08:31 AM
I've fixed the problem, though Safari tends to cache favicons so you might need to quit and restart to see it.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/26/12 09:52 AM
The problem is still there. I emptied the Safari cache and relaunched Safari without success. I then reset Safari to remove website icons and relaunched Safari but again, no joy.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/26/12 08:32 PM
I've had no trouble getting the favicon to appear in the past, but this time it's being a real pain; I've done everything but run Applejack.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/27/12 05:14 AM
I've now run Applejack in interactive mode to clear caches, and the favicon is still missing.

Edit: Likewise for applejack AUTO.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/27/12 12:49 PM

I note that the page source for the forums pages which are displaying the generic UBB favicon includes the following line within the <head></head> section:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/forums/images/general/default/favicon.ico" />

No similar line appears within the <head></head> section of the FTM home page displaying the custom FTM favicon.
Posted By: tacit Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/27/12 08:34 PM
I was having trouble getting the favicon to show up until I emptied Safari's cache and quit and restarted Safari. Strangely, the correct one shows up in Firefox without a fuss. /forums/images/general/default/favicon.ico shows me the correct favicon.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/27/12 09:24 PM
Interesting. The favicon does not show in Safari or Firefox for me, but it does show in Camino, Sea Monkey, Omniweb, Shiira, Stainless, Netscape Navigator and Opera. (I tried clearing the Safari and Firefox caches again, just to see what would happen, but it didn't fix anything.)
Posted By: alternaut Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/27/12 09:46 PM
Same thing here, although Firefox is behaving correctly. Safari isn't, despite repeated cache cleanings, quit/load cycles and several reboots. Likewise, manually updating hasn't worked for me either. I recall from this previous occasion that things eventually cleared up. In that case tacit was one of the last users to see the fruits of his work. Go figure.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/27/12 10:38 PM
I'm seeing this; is Firefox behaving correctly or not?
Posted By: alternaut Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/27/12 11:00 PM
Not entirely: the FTM favicon is in fact recognized as shown by its presence in the tab, but there is a generic favicon (a globe) in the address bar. FWIW, in my case both are correct.
Posted By: tacit Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 12/28/12 03:01 AM
In my case, I'm also seeing Firefox behave correctly (the right favicon in the address bar and in the tab).
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/01/13 05:35 AM
I forgot I was looking for the FTM favicon, so I can't say precisely when or after what it happened, but I just noticed that it has finally re-appeared, although it still does not appear in my Firefox address bar.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/01/13 07:20 AM
You're right, I finally see it too. 'It' must have happened sometime in the last 8 hours or so. Happy New Year!
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/01/13 07:49 AM
Likewise, and a healthy one, too! smile

I wonder whether it's indicative of something or merely coincidental that both our favicons re-apeared at more or less the same time; I don't recall anything having been said during the previous similar incidents that would link re-appearance to anything other than local circumstances on our own machines. confused
Posted By: jchuzi Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/01/13 10:00 AM
To add to the information (or confusion, if you prefer), the favicon has returned for me as well. It can easily be explained by the intervention of the New Year god. Or is it related to the fiscal cliff? confused
Posted By: alternaut Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/01/13 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: artie505
I don't recall anything having been said during the previous similar incidents that would link re-appearance to anything other than local circumstances on our own machines. confused

Be that as it may, I doubt this 'breakthrough' of the favicon was (just) a local phenomenon. Looks like something upstream (cache?) contributed, and perhaps we'll find out more. For now things work, at last. laugh
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/01/13 11:26 PM
The fact that some people see the favicon before others is weird; I'm curious to hear what tacit has to say about what has happened.

Under any circumstances, though, I'm happy to have old Familiar back in its accustomed place.

Edit: Hmmm... I ran Yasu as part of my e/o/m maintenance, and I wonder whether it was "Clear browsers' bookmark icons" that turned the trick, but I think I cleared them earlier with no joy.
Posted By: tacit Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/02/13 08:33 PM
I am honestly totally baffled. I know the icon isn't being cached on the Web server, so it must be being cached locally. It seems very difficult to tell Safari to refresh a favicon once one has been cached--emptying the browser cache doesn't (always) seem to do it. The new icon appeared right away for me in Firefox but took a cache cleaning and restart in Safari, though it sounds like other folks did that in Safari without success.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/03/13 05:48 AM
I just remembered this, and maybe somebody can make something of it: During the period during which the favicon was missing from my Safari address bar it was present in my Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Cookies an other website data > Details pane, where I don't recall ever seeing it before...where I no longer see it; I've got zero idea at what precise point it disappeared, but it was prior to the favicon's reappearance.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/03/13 10:02 AM
In Safari 5.1.7, no favicons of any type appear there now. I never looked during the time that the FTM favicon had disappeared so I can't confirm your observation.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/03/13 10:07 AM
I'm also running Safari 5.1.7, and all my favicons in that location are generic with the exception of MacUpdate's, which is custom.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/03/13 12:07 PM
I must have missed MacUpdate. It's icon is custom for me as well.
Posted By: alternaut Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/03/13 08:36 PM
I mentioned above that the rather sudden (re)appearance on New Year's day of the FTM favicon for some of us suggested an external rather than a local hindrance to it appearing sooner. When I did that, I overlooked local possibilities like the periodic maintenance scripts. But while the Macs involved may have been running later on New Year's Eve than normally would have been the case, and so have triggered these scripts, I don't see which maintenance function(s) could have helped with the favicon. Of course, it could have been something else, other than clearing caches and rebooting, which I did daily. Comments, anyone?
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/03/13 08:53 PM
Like you, I don't see any reason why running either the weekly or monthly cron would have any effect on our issue.

I'll suggest that next time this issue comes up we maybe approach it on a unified basis with several of us trying a series of pre-determined steps, in order, to see whether we can learn something.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/09/13 02:29 AM
The custom FTM favicon is back in my Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Cookies...> Details pane; looks like it has something to do with flushing the DNS cache...multiple times, maybe.

I wonder if maybe multiple flushes will be the key next time there's a UBB.threads update?

Edit: Nope! It's gone again, and three straight flushes with quitting Safari in between didn't bring it back.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/09/13 09:56 AM
For whatever reason, the FTM favicon does not appear there for me. I haven't flushed the DNS cache so maybe you're right.
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/09/13 09:57 AM
We crossed, Jon; check my last post.

Hope you had a Happy New Year! smile
Posted By: artie505 Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/10/13 04:41 AM
I wonder why MacUpdate's custom favicon persists in prefs (on my deuced Mac(hina), anyhow) after all my other custom-jobs have reverted to generic?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: FTM favicon gone missing! - 01/10/13 09:51 AM
To add another layer of mystery, Adobe's favicon persists in my prefs.
© FineTunedMac