Home
Posted By: Abi boots to blue screen - 08/07/09 09:35 PM
My computer: Power Mac G4, OS X 10.4.10 I started my computer then a black screen came up temporarily and then turn to blue screen permanently. I switch it off several times, i even disconnect it from the power source but it is still the same black screen to blue screen permanently. Please help.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: boots to blue screen - 08/07/09 09:46 PM
Welcome to FTM! Hopefully, one of us will be able to solve your problem.

Can you boot into Safe Mode? If that's successful, a normal reboot might also be successful. Be patient with this because it takes longer to boot into SM than usual because some diagnostic processes are running during startup.

Two other possibilities are to reset PRAM and reset PMU. Since you're new to these forums, you may not know that the terms that are underlined in blue are hyperlinks. Click them to be taken to an appropriate web page.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress. smile
Posted By: Abi Re: boots to blue screen - 08/07/09 10:48 PM
i cannot boot to safe mode, i cannot boot at all. i cannot do anything on the computer please help. Thank you and GOD BLESS.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: boots to blue screen - 08/07/09 11:02 PM
OK, let's try some other possibilities.

One thing that comes to mind is the internal backup (PRAM) battery. A dead or weak battery can produce weird symptoms including the inability to boot. You can get the battery at Other World Computing and, if you need instructions, view this video. Radio Shack may have the battery in stock. It will cost more than the $5 at OWC but you won't pay shipping. The battery lasts 3-5 years but will weaken faster if the computer is unplugged for periods of time. When I had a G4, it would do a partial boot and then shut down. Replacing the battery cured it.

Another thing to try is the procedures in this article.

Did you try resetting PRAM and/or resetting PMU? The links that I provided have the complete instructions.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: boots to blue screen - 08/08/09 05:26 PM
unplug the optical and hard drive cables from the logic board and see if things change behavior
Posted By: htrebor Re: boots to blue screen - 08/12/09 12:47 PM
Try booting from the startup CD. If it starts up the computer repair your disk permissions.
Posted By: dianne Re: boots to blue screen - 08/12/09 08:56 PM
Hello, htrebor,
Quote:
If it starts up the computer repair your disk permissions.
It is my understanding that a user boots from the startup CD (the install CD or DVD) in order to Repair Disk, not Repair Permissions.

As necessary, see: Mac OS X – Using Disk Utility to Repair a Disk
Posted By: jchuzi Re: boots to blue screen - 08/12/09 09:30 PM
Quote:
It is my understanding that a user boots from the startup CD (the install CD or DVD) in order to Repair Disk, not Repair Permissions.
Repairing permissions can be done that way but it is not the best way. It is better to repair permissions while booted from the hard drive.
Posted By: donikatz Re: boots to blue screen - 08/18/09 01:53 AM
Quote:
Repairing permissions can be done that way but it is not the best way.

Not only is it not the best way, it's not usually a good way at all if you're not running the same OS and patch level as the boot disc. Otherwise the actual OS contents and the disc's permissions database won't jive and there's no point in repairing permissions.

If you can't even boot into safe mode, I highly doubt it's a permissions issue. The next things I would try are:

1) I agree with Dianne that the next step should be booting from CD and attempting to repair disk.

2) I'd also try booting into single user mode and attempting a filesystem check (fsck)

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417
Posted By: Winterlady Re: boots to blue screen - 08/29/09 03:38 AM
Donikatz ~ Thanks for that response. I'm not in this situation, but I hadn't ever considered why using an install CD would be a bad place to repair permissions from. ^_^ Thanks for the added bits of data in my brain.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: boots to blue screen - 08/29/09 01:29 PM
Welcome to FTM! smile

You'll find the contributors to be very friendly and knowledgeable.
© FineTunedMac