for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Thread Like Summary
joemikeb
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Battery problem #63110 01/19/2023 5:48 PM
by plantsower
plantsower
My MacBook battery doesn't go up to 100% anymore and if I unplug it, it goes down very quickly. Today my mac shut down but the battery icon said 57%. Is that normal? I should have had some time left. I'm guessing I am going to have to replace it soon.
Liked Replies
Re: Battery problem #63223 Jan 26th a 01:28 PM
by dkmarsh
dkmarsh
Originally Posted by plantsower
I just ran a hardware test and got the message: Battery may not be working properly, unplug adapter and plug in again and re-run test (which I did). The results were no problems found.

You might consider the possibility that bits of dust or debris are partially clogging the mating surfaces of the charger plug and MacBook port. I've experienced this with an iPhone, and the symptoms included some wonky behavior, i.e. charging sometimes happened, but sporadically.
1 member likes this
Re: Battery problem #63275 Jan 30th a 05:50 PM
by Ira L
Ira L
Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by Ira L
How long is a cycle in battery life?
Each round of full discharge and then full recharge is called battery cycle life. A battery's cycle life can range from 500 to 1200. That means a life cycle of 18 months to 3 years for a typical battery.

[Note the term "full discharge". I imagine most people do not let their battery go to 0%.]
Just to clarify, "full discharge" is a cumulative computation, i.e., 20 x 5% discharges = 1 full discharge, as do 2 x 50% discharges.

Quite true. And the discharges can be over a period of days or weeks, so that the duration of a life cycle can be even harder to determine. That's why I think the maximum battery charge, rather than cycles, is a better indicator of battery life and power. And in the case of this thread, to me, 23% (or now 24%) is not a good sign.
1 member likes this