for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Thread Like Summary
Gregg
Original Post (Thread Starter)
mouse cursor #63073 01/14/2023 5:23 PM
by jaybass
jaybass
OS 10.14.6 Today my mouse disappeared and when I pressed the space bar, the page I was viewing went up and down. I tried charging my mouse twice but could not recover my mouse. I phoned my son who after querying the problem said I should hold down the command & control button plus shutting down the computer. This produced a black screen along with the sound of being rebooted. After doing this three times, I still didn't have my mouse. A window said to make sure my mouse was discoverable...without the mouse, I couldn't do it. I then shut off the power to everything and after about 30 seconds, I switched it back on again, I could see that my router was rebooting/recharging. I then did the command & control thing and this time upon rebooting, I regained my mouse. Question: What happened that caused my mouse to disappear? I've the mouse disappear before but not to this extent...any comments?

jaybass
Liked Replies
Re: mouse cursor #63096 Jan 17th a 06:41 PM
by joemikeb
joemikeb
Originally Posted by Gregg
Thanks for the explanation. I do not have a wireless keyboard or mouse. Is there a disadvantage to leaving Bluetooth on?

I think I used to have the Bluetooth symbol in my Menu Bar. I must have removed it.

If you are not using Bluetooth there is no reason to leave it on, and it may create interference. I would turn it off.

Originally Posted by ryck
I also have found Bluetooth to be a bit 'iffy' in making and maintaining connections which may be, as you explain later in the thread, the fact that it is low power.

I am wired to the computer for keyboard and trackball but use Bluetooth for connecting the computer to an audio amp (about 5 feet from the computer) and a printer (about 7 feet away). Both devices will sometimes 'take their time' about connecting. I also use Bluetooth to link an iPad and a Bose Mini Soundlink, and that connection has a tendency to drop out.

Question: It's just a thought but, depending of the size and shape of the room, would Bluetooth have sufficient power to set up waves that are out of phase with the original signal?

Actually the more recent versions of Bluetooth use less power and are in my experience, have a longer range and are more reliable. Because Bluetooth devices are paired with the host and Bluetooth messages are sent with destination addresses, the frequency is very high (2.4 GHz), and the power very low, the possibility phase cancellation of signals is too low to be of any concern. However, interference from 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi bands, a metal coffee cup on the desktop, or even a poorly shielded USB cable or device is within the realm of possibility. Once again the more recent, ultra-low power versions of Bluetooth are less likely to be effected, have far longer range (90 feet or more), connect more rapidly, pair automatically, and are more reliable. But, like USB, to acheive this performance, both the host and device must be built to the new standards.
1 member likes this