for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Thread Like Summary
Bensheim
Original Post (Thread Starter)
iPod not connecting to NEW VW #58400 03/19/2021 6:10 PM
by Bensheim
Bensheim
It's a bit of a long shot, but someone may be able to help.

Today I bought a brand new VW Golf. The dealership threw in a usb > lightning connector for my iPod (not a big deal considering how much the new car cost). However, there is no connection other than something like "cannot read files", which makes me think it can see something plugged into the "media" socket, but can't get any further.

Do I now have to buy a new iPod just to make the new car happy? Is my current iPod too old for the latest VW? (I don't know how old the iPod is, it's an iPod nano and behaved perfectly in the 2019 VW Polo which I just traded in.)

Without my music, this new car is already disappointing, so I hope someone can make some useful suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Liked Replies
Re: iPod not connecting to NEW VW #58403 Mar 19th a 08:11 PM
by joemikeb
joemikeb
If your VW is like either of ours, the iPOD is attempting to connect to Apple's Car-Play App that is included in more recent versions of iOS or iPadOS. Dig out the owners manual that should have come with your VW and in the index of the booklet titled {I]Compisition Media, Discover Media, Infotainment System, Phone Interface[/I] under Data Transmission > App Connect > Apple CarPlay. for details on how it works and how to set it up. It may be that yours is a new enough model that it connects to the car-play app via bluetooth and the USB is strictly for charging.
1 member likes this