for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Thread Like Summary
joemikeb
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Possible Survey? #56764 11/03/2020 9:00 PM
by MartyByrde
MartyByrde
On another Mac discussion board, one individual stated that only about 10% of Mac users use SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner combined. I disagreed with that, and have started a poll there to get some valid numbers. The choices are Time Machine, SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner, Something Else, or None (do not do backups).

I am wondering if such a poll has ever been done here. If it has, can someone point me to the results? If not, would it be beneficial to to conduct one?
Liked Replies
Re: Possible Survey? #56798 Nov 6th a 07:16 PM
by MacManiac
MacManiac
Keeping in mind that most of us here are atypical......

I'm going to estimate that less than 20% of the TYPICAL of MacOS users are actually performing ANY backups at all! For those in my experience who come from the Windows world to the MacOS (most of them grudgingly), the Time Machine function is often not even recognized as an option!

....and for those long-time MacOS users who know about Time Machine, I'm going to estimate that only 50% are actually using it!

As to buying a third-party backup solution....I would estimate that less than 25% of ALL MacOS users who backup regularly fall into this category.

Color me a pessimist if you like.....
1 member likes this
Re: Possible Survey? #56801 Nov 6th a 10:42 PM
by MacManiac
MacManiac
Yeah, my biased response comes from an admittedly smaller sampling of friends / relatives / neighbors / etc. that represent a pretty broad spectrum of experience and comfort within the personal computing world....ranging from my brother who is an admitted Windows advocate, grudgingly drawn into the MacOS world and slowly discovering that he no longer needs to dis-assemble and re-assemble his shovel prior to digging any further in the ditch (an allegory) to my now deceased and sorely missed mother in law with whom I had MANY long and interesting Skype / FaceTime troubleshooting sessions which always required me to direct her eyes either to the keyboard or to the screen when getting her to perform an input or describe what is being shown.

For my Mom-in-Law, it was a simple thing to configure Time Machine to use the handy external USB drive which I mailed to her for backup.....for my Brother, it was less simple in that he insisted on buying a third-party NAS which had MANY configuration options to work through before he finally got it to marry with Time Machine - and then he was AMAZED to find out how seamless and easy it really was despite his attempt to make it "Windows normal"! (I still get calls from my brother complaining about how un-Android his new iPhone is and how difficult it is to make it perform as he expects it to.....) blush
1 member likes this