Originally Posted by Gregg
Thanks for the explanation. I do not have a wireless keyboard or mouse. Is there a disadvantage to leaving Bluetooth on?

I think I used to have the Bluetooth symbol in my Menu Bar. I must have removed it.

If you are not using Bluetooth there is no reason to leave it on, and it may create interference. I would turn it off.

Originally Posted by ryck
I also have found Bluetooth to be a bit 'iffy' in making and maintaining connections which may be, as you explain later in the thread, the fact that it is low power.

I am wired to the computer for keyboard and trackball but use Bluetooth for connecting the computer to an audio amp (about 5 feet from the computer) and a printer (about 7 feet away). Both devices will sometimes 'take their time' about connecting. I also use Bluetooth to link an iPad and a Bose Mini Soundlink, and that connection has a tendency to drop out.

Question: It's just a thought but, depending of the size and shape of the room, would Bluetooth have sufficient power to set up waves that are out of phase with the original signal?

Actually the more recent versions of Bluetooth use less power and are in my experience, have a longer range and are more reliable. Because Bluetooth devices are paired with the host and Bluetooth messages are sent with destination addresses, the frequency is very high (2.4 GHz), and the power very low, the possibility phase cancellation of signals is too low to be of any concern. However, interference from 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi bands, a metal coffee cup on the desktop, or even a poorly shielded USB cable or device is within the realm of possibility. Once again the more recent, ultra-low power versions of Bluetooth are less likely to be effected, have far longer range (90 feet or more), connect more rapidly, pair automatically, and are more reliable. But, like USB, to acheive this performance, both the host and device must be built to the new standards.