for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Key To safer Batteries
#52173 08/05/19 03:43 PM
OP Online

I was reading through the Alumni News Letter from my graduate alma-mater, UTD (The University of Texas At Dallas), and came across this article about a faculty member and one of his former students who have identified the cause of Lithium-ion battery overheating and the resulting fires. It turns out the problem is not in the design of the devices, or in the batter itself, rather it is the surface of the cell that the problem arises. They have posited a potential solution to the problem and I suspect at this point it becomes an engineering problem. Although this can't help the Lithium-Ion batteries already in place, it promises significant performance improvements in future laptops, tablets, and smart phones.

NOTE: The research was not funded by U. S. government or business sources, rather it was the South Korean government that financed the research. Just saying. 🙄

BRAGGING: You probably haven't heard of UTD because they do not have a football team, but their esports team is making quite a reputation for itself. Yes, it is an egghead school and the number 1 ranked public university in Texas and in all Texas Universities is outranked only by Rice University. (Okay, I'm bragging, but it is my alma-mater after all and as a graduate student, I taught the very first class of undergraduates and I like to think I had some hand in helping shape the university it has become. 👨🏻‍🎓

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Key To safer Batteries
joemikeb #52282 08/21/19 06:23 PM

I have a friend who teaches at the University of Dallas.

deniro #52287 08/21/19 09:47 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: deniro
I have a friend who teaches at the University of Dallas.

This is not about the University of Dallas which is an excellent liberal arts university affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church and located in Irving, Texas. Rather it is the very high tech University of Texas at Dallas which is a campus of the University of Texas System located in Richardson, Texas and ranked as one of the top 25 universities in the United States. The two have a substantially different academic focus but because of the name similarity (not to mention the too similar abbreviations: UD and UTD), they are often confused.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/21/19 09:50 PM. Reason: 🤬 spelling checker

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52299 08/22/19 12:50 PM

I know that. I was not confusing them. I was just saying I know a guy in Dallas. Jesus, you think I'm a nitwit?

deniro #52305 08/22/19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
I was just saying I know a guy in Dallas. Jesus, you think I'm a nitwit?

Settle down. Joe is not alone in thinking that you misunderstood.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard