for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NoSleep has a doppelganger?
#37113 11/10/15 08:35 PM
OP Online

I've been running NoSleep for a couple of years to prevent my deuced Mac(hina) from sleeping when its lid is closed on adapter power (to remedy a shortcoming in iTunes 8).

A few days ago I noticed that my dM was going to sleep when its lid was closed despite my pref to the contrary.

I tried shutting down, zapping PRAM, repairing permissions, clearing caches, and running DiskWarrior (No test user A/C; it's a system pref pane.)...all to no avail.

I then trashed the app and all its appurtenances, restarted, and reinstalled, again to no avail.

At that point it occurred to me that since my issue was no longer present in iTunes 11 I no longer needed NoSleep and trashed it for good.

And since it's been gone and I've been running under normal circumstances I've found that my dM now doesn't go to sleep when its lid is closed, as if NS were still installed and working properly.

Huh? confused

I'm not particularly unhappy about the current state of affairs, because there are times when I'd like my dM to be awake when its lid is closed, and I can sleep it manually, so I've got the best of both worlds.

I'm mostly curious about how System Preferences and NoSleep could have reversed roles as they seem to have done?

Any thoughts about what has happened?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: NoSleep has a doppelganger?
artie505 #37114 11/10/15 08:43 PM

What are our settings in System Preferences > Energy Saver?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #37115 11/10/15 09:44 PM
OP Online

Here ya go!

I was remiss in thinking of but forgetting to mention that my deuced Mac(hina) sleeps as expected immediately upon my closing its lid when it's on battery power; it stays awake only on adapter power.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that when I was running NoSleep it was set keep my dM awake on adapter power approaching 100% of the time; it was set for battery power no more than an hour or two/month.

Last edited by artie505; 11/10/15 09:47 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #37121 11/11/15 08:27 AM
OP Online

Update: Well, color me mystified! confused

I booted into my several days old FireWire 800 clone with NoSleep (which should have exhibited the unexpected behavior) to determine what my Energy Saver settings had been, and...it worked as expected.

I then booted into yesterday morning's clone without NS (expecting the unexpected), and it, too, worked.

So I booted back into my recalcitrant boot volume, still without NS, and it also worked.

Finally, I reinstalled NS, and it's functioning as it should. smile

Go figure! (Another never-to-be-solved mystery?)

I did notice one thing... I was in playing mode, so I experimented with my FW 800 enclosure in various states, and on two successive tries with it plugged in but turned off my deuced Mac(hina) took around five seconds after I closed its lid before it slept, as opposed to its usual instantaneous transition. (I can no longer duplicate that behavior).

Is it possible that something to do with my FW port caused my issue?

With that in mind, I dug out instructions (posted by joemikeb ??? years ago) for resetting a laptop's ports, but one step was to yank the battery, which is no longer possible, so that was a dead end. (Can ports be reset when you can't completely power down your machine? [I'll start a new thread.])

artie505 #37812 12/13/15 01:22 PM
OP Online

Final chapter...

NoSleep doesn't work in El Cap, so I uninstalled it and its appurtenances (I've shut down/started up since I did.), but my deuced Mac(hina) does not sleep when I shut the lid (which is NoSleep's functionality), rather it waits until Energy Saver puts it to sleep. crazy

NoSleep somehow messes with my deuced Mac(hina)'s firmware(?), but I'm not displeased, because it never leaves my house, i.e. is never in a traveling case in which it can overheat.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard