for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MBP bottom screw prices?
#30304 06/12/14 07:37 PM
OP Online

I want to purchase a spare set of (10) case-bottom screws for my MacBook Pro, and I'm confused by the prices, which range from $3 to $8/set on eBay.

Is there actually such a wide disparity in quality, or are the high-priced sellers simply profiteering?

Thanks.

Last edited by artie505; 06/12/14 09:58 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: MBP bottom screw prices?
artie505 #30306 06/12/14 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Is there actually such a wide disparity in quality, or are the high-priced sellers simply profiteering?

Or the vendors know the value of their products.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #30309 06/12/14 11:31 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Or the vendors know the value of their products.

Thanks, but that's my question: Does that wide value disparity exist, or is it simply an illusion created by the price range?

Granted that they're not your average, run of the mill screws, but 80¢/screw sure seems awfully pricey.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #30310 06/12/14 11:50 PM

Granted that they're not your average, run of the mill screws, but 80¢/screw sure seems awfully pricey.

Unless you've got a buddy at Foxconn who can get them for you free or at cost, the open capitalist market is the only source. tongue wink

grelber #30311 06/12/14 11:53 PM
OP Online

Yeah, but the open capitalist market ranges from 30 to 80¢/screw, so back to my question...is the value quality disparity as real and wide as the price disparity?

Last edited by artie505; 06/13/14 12:06 AM.

artie505 #30312 06/13/14 09:40 AM

... so back to my question...is the value quality disparity as real and wide as the price disparity?

That would depend on whether the product offered is an original factory part or a knock-off; the source would be one's primary concern.
The price differential would follow the maxim: Whatever the market will bear.

grelber #30313 06/13/14 10:30 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: grelber
... so back to my question...is the value quality disparity as real and wide as the price disparity?

That would depend on whether the product offered is an original factory part or a knock-off; the source would be one's primary concern.

Thats more a restatement of my question than answer, but I'll address it anyhow: There's no way to know the ultimate source of the screws, and Apple doesn't appear to be a seller. (I wound up taking the high road and paying a middle-of-the-road price to one of the few American sellers. [Most of them are Chinese, one of whom actually posted a picture of a rusty screw. tongue ])

The price differential would follow the maxim: Whatever the market will bear.

I don't think "Whatever the market will bear" is an appropriate maxim when everybody's shopping in the same store.

And since the response drawn from real-world experience that I was hoping for still hasn't been posted, my question remains unanswered.

artie505 #30314 06/13/14 11:24 AM

FWIW, iFixit sells that screw set for US $19.99, although it's currently out of stock.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
artie505 #30315 06/13/14 12:03 PM

I don't think "Whatever the market will bear" is an appropriate maxim when everybody's shopping in the same store.

Sure is ... when you can dicker with the seller and get a different price from someone else. (Car buying would be the best example of that.)

dkmarsh #30339 06/15/14 05:53 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
FWIW, iFixit sells that screw set for US $19.99, although it's currently out of stock.

Thanks for the link; it fits quite neatly into my "charging what the market will bear" discussion with grelber. (I've got the new screws in hand, and I'll post back with whatever comparison I can make between them and the originals as soon as I get a chance to tinker.)

I've signed up for a "back in stock" e-mail; I wonder if I'll ever get one.

Last edited by artie505; 06/15/14 06:16 AM. Reason: Cleanup

grelber #30340 06/15/14 05:55 AM
OP Online

I don't think "Whatever the market will bear" is an appropriate maxim when everybody's shopping in the same store. (Emphasis added)

Sure is ... when you can dicker with the seller and get a different price from someone else. (Car buying would be the best example of that.)

Maybe you missed my eBay reference, or maybe you're just not familiar with eBay, but charging what the market will bear does not work on that site, or, for that matter, anyplace where all the sellers of a particular item are lined up side by side (and in price order if you like).

In that scenario, it becomes abundantly clear - instantaneously - who's on the mark and who's not, unlike your car dealer scenario in which it's the "charge what the market will bear" guy's specific location and isolation that enable him to do it. How do you think that sort of Chevy dealer would make out in a mall in which every Chevy dealer had a booth with his price posted on the wall?

Living in NYC and seeing the price differential between Brooklyn and Manhattan, I'm acutely aware of what the market will bear.

And, as does everybody, I see it in department stores with overlapping inventories.

If you want to see what charging what the market will bear is in this particular instance, follow dk's link to iFixit (which doesn't have an eBay presence). Whew! shocked

It's not out of the question that iFixit's screws are superior to the ones I bought, but that superior? It's not like they're load-bearing, nor do they have to withstand extreme torque forces; the worst they've got to endure is inept technicians and/or mediocre tools ( tongue ), and even Apple's screws are vulnerable to those particular forces of nature.

artie505 #30341 06/15/14 10:06 AM

In that scenario, it becomes abundantly clear - instantaneously - who's on the mark and who's not, unlike your car dealer scenario in which it's the "charge what the market will bear" guy's specific location and isolation that enable him to do it. How do you think that sort of Chevy dealer would make out in a mall in which every Chevy dealer had a booth with his price posted on the wall?

At the risk of flogging a moribund horse, such services exist (on the web and elsewhere), so that when one pops by the local dealer armed with comparative prices, the dickering gets to the point much more quickly.

A directly comparable example to eBay and particularly of a one-stop shop exemplifying "what the market will bear" is trivago, the hotel room searcher.

As for getting screwed on screws:
Check to see if they're made from frangible material, whether the thread pitch is correct and whether the threads are right- or left-handed. tongue

grelber #30352 06/18/14 09:30 AM
OP Online

Charging what the market, traffic, actually (The market sets the price; the traffic pays it.), will bear is, essentially, charging a (relatively) high price because your clientele either can't or can't be bothered to shop around. Negotiating prices with shoppers is not charging what the traffic will bear.

(Auto dealers are a bad example under any circumstances, because they get factory discounts based on the number of cars they sell and must turn volume, sometimes at any cost, to maximize profits; they can actually lose money on some cars and still come out way ahead because the sales will kick them up to the next discount level for many cars.)

Oh, and you're really wasting your vocabulary here; you ought to save it for a game of Scrabble, where the points to be scored are far moribundant. tongue

Originally Posted By: Free Online Dictionary
Financial Definition of All the Traffic Will Bear:

A business practice in which a company charges an amount that seems excessive but is still within the range of what customers will pay. That is, the company pushes the price of its product to the limit without going over.

Originally Posted By: Black's Law Dictionary
What Is All the Traffic Will Bear?

An excessive charge that is still within the customers pay range. This makes the price as high as is possible without going past a predetermined limit.

and, if I must,

Originally Posted By: wiki.answers
What does 'what the market will bear' means?

It means "the highest price you can sell your goods at in the market you are in". You need to know what your competition is selling their products at in order to get a guideline.

artie505 #30353 06/18/14 12:07 PM

The definitions supplied are exactly what I meant.
Under the circumstances our divergent interpretations of the issue seem inexplicable.
I enjoy exercising my generally excellent linguistic abilities and I'm certain that the users of FTM are capable of interpreting my word choices (ie, such are not wasted on them).

grelber #30357 06/19/14 07:36 PM
OP Online

What's inexplicable to me is how you can possibly think that negotiating a price with a purchaser is charging what the traffic will bear.

Do you seriously believe that every negotiation settles at the purchaser's top number? I'm sure that some do, but I'll guess that far more...most, settle somewhere between there and the seller's bottom number…traditional meetings of the mind.

The essence of charging what the traffic will bear is "Take a hike!" "What's it worth to you?" is not an option a purchaser can expect in a store that adheres to that sales philosophy.

artie505 #30358 06/19/14 09:44 PM

As I said, the discussion has gone off on skewed lines.
Movin' on ....

grelber #30371 06/21/14 06:41 AM
OP Online

As I said, the discussion has gone off on skewed lines.
Movin' on ....

You didn't, it hasn't, and you can run, but you can't hide.

Remember what you opined a coupl'a posts back…that "the users of FTM are capable of interpreting my [your] word choices"? Well, you were right. (You really meant "skewered", didn't you? wink )

artie505 #30372 06/21/14 12:14 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

It's past time to move on...thread closed.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard