Hard drives are fine. It's the cable I'm starting to have issues with. This makes four. This one I'm on now was in three months ago for a new cable. Now the new one needs replacement.

Manifests as a variety of what look like hard drive problems. Stall at gear, kernel panic at gear, sudden shutdown at gear (fsck safety'ish)

Computer will boot up fine off hard drive if removed and placed in an enclosure. Sometimes only has problems with specific models of hard drive, indicating a pin used in the higher grade sata drives may be at issue some of the time.

Normally cables glued down like that must be ordered as a part of the housing that the cable is mounted on, but that specific cable can be ordered individually, making it a quick repair and much less expensive when it passes out of warranty.

Only appears to affect the 13" mbps. This cable is attached to the logic board, the hard drive, and also runs to the one side of the hard drive (with mount points) and the sleep light and IR detector, it all comes as a unit.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department