for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
top case taking a nap?
#10282 05/31/10 06:30 PM
OP Offline

Over the last week I've had a reoccurring issue with my mbp. (just pre-unibody) I will be using it, and I mean switching windows, typing, clicking things, and the keyboard and trackpad just totally stop responding.

The caps lock light will not turn on when caps lock is pressed.

I have a usb trackball hooked up when I'm at home, and I can still move the mouse around with it. If I DO, then about 10 seconds later the keyboard and trackpad/button start working again. OR if I close the lid and sleep it. (note, the sleep sensor is IN the trackpad, so it must be working at some level) When it wakes back up the keyboard and trackpad/button work fine.

I checked in console and see no mention of any events in any logs for that time. I ssh'd in once and looked at system_profiler and it sees the

wow it just did it again. Weird. This time the trackpad was out but the button and keyboard worked. For about 15 seconds. Then for about 10 seconds the keyboard went down too. (and capslock) Then they all went to working again without my sleeping it or touching the trackball.

I suppose at this point it's time to replace the top case. (the keyboard plugs into the top case and the trackpad is what connects to the computer, so the keyboard is probably ok)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: top case taking a nap?
Virtual1 #10732 06/26/10 12:37 AM
OP Offline

update: replaced the top case this morning. Not a hickup since. I believe this has solved the problem.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard